Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

21 minutes ago, DaPr03 said:

46s are worse than the 68s if you know your trains properly, unlike foamers....

Using what criteria? I thought it is the general consensus by railfans and train crews is that the R46 is the best 75FT car. R46 and R68 is about neck and neck MDBF wise. I like the 68/68A more than the 46s as a railfan (Grew up riding the Brighton Local) but as a commuter I prefer the 46s, cozy interior, quieter, etc. 

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

i get that you all are unhappy about the (N)(W) getting a downgrade in equipment, but it is what it is. the 46s wont be getting phased out until the R211 passes its 30 day test and start arriving en masse. 

the only thing you guys can do (if you hate the 46s on the (N)(W)) would simply be to just wait a few more years. regardless of whether the 160s go back or not newer trains will start appearing on the (N)(W) when the 211s arrive, but it will take time. 

I Can't wait for R211s to come around Q3/Q4 of this year or Q1 of next year, MTA should be ashamed of themselves by playing psychological/emotional warfare and game to commuters in Second Avenue/Astoria/Broadway and Sea Beach Line.

10 minutes ago, DaPr03 said:

Not even that as well but to add on, CBTC is close to being done on Queens Blvd. Even though I don't like 46s on the N/W, we have to let things go as the MTA plans, it's for the benefit for commuters & transit in general.

CBTC in QBL is not done until Q1 of 2021 where R211s are on teh service, R211s are to arrive in conjunction with QBL CBTC in 2021.

Read this Link at Page 29, it will show you. EVEN MTA Admit it back in January of Last Year and yet they tricked us.

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/190122_1400_CPOC.pdf

15 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Using what criteria? I thought it is the general consensus by railfans and train crews is that the R46 is the best 75FT car. R46 and R68 is about neck and neck MDBF wise. I like the 68/68A more than the 46s as a railfan (Grew up riding the Brighton Local) but as a commuter I prefer the 46s, cozy interior, quieter, etc. 

The operation hurts operators the most, brake a little and your body will jump a bit. You have to swing the long handle & it's a real pain in the ass doing it back and forth.

Edited by DaPr03
Typos & spelling

5 minutes ago, SubwayFan3000 said:

MTA should be ashamed of themselves by playing psychological/emotional warfare and game to commuters in Second Avenue/Astoria/Broadway and Sea Beach Line.

Wow, this might actually be the most stupid thing I've read all day. And that's saying a lot, considering I've been keeping up with the posts in this thread.

27 minutes ago, Calvin said:

This could be a wrong reason but my thought that the (B) still uses its R68/As vs the R46s on the (N)(W)(G) or (Q) could be the amount of seats or room. The R68/As reduced the seating capacity by a few b/c the ends are cabbed off. Maybe, ridership on the (B) isn't that high compared to the (N)(W) or (Q) that the 68/As are a fine choice for weekday service.

Eh. I feel the reason is what @bwwnyc123 said earlier in the previous page. Better to keep a uniformed fleet than to have cars spread all over like they're currently doing now with the R46s.

For example, prior to this swap thing, any event that an R46 pulls into a Queens Blvd Line station and a Broadway Line station, almost everyone on the platform know it's an (R) compared to the rest of the lines that use the R160s. Tbh, this is one of the things I personally loved about having the (R) be exclusively R46s. Reminds me of the Brooklyn IRT where everyone knows that any event an R62 pulls into a station in the Brooklyn IRT, everyone knows it's a (3).

I love that tbh.

40 minutes ago, DaPr03 said:

The operation hurts operators the most, brake a little and your body will jump a bit. You have to swing the long handle & it's a real pain in the ass doing it back and forth.

As a student train operator almost finished with training-gotta disagree here. I LOVE the R46's. Easy to stop-just mostly need min brake, and I prefer that long handle to others. They're also in mostly good condition--and they're not falling apart like the r179s are.

52 minutes ago, SubwayFan3000 said:

I Can't wait for R211s to come around Q3/Q4 of this year or Q1 of next year, MTA should be ashamed of themselves by playing psychological/emotional warfare and game to commuters in Second Avenue/Astoria/Broadway and Sea Beach Line.

I think "I will sue the MTA" and this comment win comment of the year, and it's not even March yet 😂😂

27 minutes ago, Tonyboy515 said:

I have encountered 2 separate R46 trains today on the (Q) as well as 2 separate R68s... there could be more. I’ve stated earlier about the R68 numbers, but as for the R46s, one train had the lead car 5846 and another had the rear end car 5624.

There are two additional R68/R68A trains I think

1 hour ago, P3F said:

Wow, this might actually be the most stupid thing I've read all day. And that's saying a lot, considering I've been keeping up with the posts in this thread.

There is no point in arguing with him, because he is just your angry foamer that is upset that his favorite trains are being moved off his lines. His reasons don't make sense either. Back before the R160's came to the N,Q and W lines, all the trains that use to operate on those lines were R40s, R42s and R68s. The R46's in 2020 still have a much higher MDBF than the R40s and R42s did before they got replaced over 10 years ago but of course the R46s are so problematic and they cause delays. They are older now than the R40s and R42s that got retired about 10-14 years ago and the R46s still are doing alright. Then he shows that tweet about a train being taken out of service due to mechanical problems but I was on a R160 (M) very recently that had to be taken out of service because of an issue with the doors. Issues like that occur all the time on lines with NTT's so I don't really know what he is trying to prove. With some people you just can't argue with them, you just have to let them look foolish.

Coney Island is definitely (slowly) fixing those side signs and giving the R46s some much needed TLC.

5840's sign was busted last week, got that car today and both signs work. I also notice that most cars are a much more smoother ride and they don't make that annoying squeaking noise like they did at Jamaica.

Edited by Around the Horn

17 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

There is no point in arguing with him, because he is just your angry foamer that is upset that his favorite trains are being moved off his lines. His reasons don't make sense either. Back before the R160's came to the N,Q and W lines, all the trains that use to operate on those lines were R40s, R42s and R68s. The R46's in 2020 still have a much higher MDBF than the R40s and R42s did before they got replaced over 10 years ago but of course the R46s are so problematic and they cause delays. They are older now than the R40s and R42s that got retired about 10-14 years ago and the R46s still are doing alright. Then he shows that tweet about a train being taken out of service due to mechanical problems but I was on a R160 (M) very recently that had to be taken out of service because of an issue with the doors. Issues like that occur all the time on lines with NTT's so I don't really know what he is trying to prove. With some people you just can't argue with them, you just have to let them look foolish.

you should read people complain below the tweet about the R46s and Astoria Residents are pissed.

19 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Coney Island is definitely (slowly) fixing those side signs and giving the R46s some much needed TLC.

5840's sign was busted last week, got that car today and both signs work.

That's great to hear. I saw an (A) to Rockaway Park last week where the first 4 cars had broken signs, and I thought, how are people supposed to know this is the Rockaway Park special if they aren't looking at the countdown clock / app, or have the schedule memorized?

Now let's hope that the signs don't break as quickly as they are fixed.

14 minutes ago, SubwayFan3000 said:

you should read people complain below the tweet about the R46s and Astoria Residents are pissed.

If you mean the "door problem" tweet, I read all the comments and exactly zero of them contained a complaint specifically about the R46s. The average commuter simply doesn't care about the type of car; they simply want to get to their destination.

You really need to grow up and stop spamming the forum with the same nonsensical complaint. If the R46s piss you off that much, fine, nobody's forcing you to deal with them. It should be no problem for you to make the leisurely 7 minute walk to the Q102 bus, which will transport you to any of the (E)(F)(M) or (R) lines, which all use (mostly) R160s.

5 minutes ago, P3F said:

If you mean the "door problem" tweet, I read all the comments and exactly zero of them contained a complaint specifically about the R46s. The average commuter simply doesn't care about the type of car; they simply want to get to their destination.

You really need to grow up and stop spamming the forum with the same nonsensical complaint. If the R46s piss you off that much, fine, nobody's forcing you to deal with them. It should be no problem for you to make the leisurely 7 minute walk to the Q102 bus, which will transport you to any of the (E)(F)(M) or (R) lines, which all use (mostly) R160s.

well i prefer buses over subways, subways are dying anyways and are being replaced by NYC Buses thanks to Corey Johnson and these people in tweet were referring to R46s actually.

this guy

this as well

Edited by SubwayFan3000

7 hours ago, SubwayFan3000 said:

CBTC in QBL it expected to be completed and launched in Q1-Q2 2021, MTA has got nothing but Swap R160s between Coney Island Yard and Jamaica before arrival of R211s, EVEN MTA They EVEN admitted back in January 2019 that R211s will be in service in 2021 conjunction with QBL CBTC and srapping/reefing all R46s from Jamaica Yard, but they TRICKED and LIED to us by to giving us the crappy R46s from the 1970s that are literally falling apart badly. smh 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

The lie is true:, if you're on the (5) to Nereid Av-238 St entering E.180 St with the (2) . Once that (2) leaves or gets held, it goes from Nereid Av to Gun Hill RD-WPR in a minute. 

9 minutes ago, SubwayFan3000 said:

what do you mean?

The (5) to Nereid Av, during PM rush hours, it's scheduled to head there on select trains. However, there are people that think they can get a one-seat ride making stops on the (2) between E.180 St to 238 St (on the Nereid 5 trains). It changes to Gun Hill RD as the last stop at E.180 St to avoid congestion with the (2) line forcing customers to get on the crowded (2) train instead or wait another 5-10 mins. 

Edited by Calvin

50 minutes ago, P3F said:

That's great to hear. I saw an (A) to Rockaway Park last week where the first 4 cars had broken signs, and I thought, how are people supposed to know this is the Rockaway Park special if they aren't looking at the countdown clock / app, or have the schedule memorized?

Now let's hope that the signs don't break as quickly as they are fixed.

I completely agree. Some people are just flat out dumb. It's so ironic to the point that they can spend all their time on social media such as YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, etc, yet they can't even download the MTA Subway Time app/look up the official timetables online/check for countdown clocks? Screw that shit. They need to be more responsible instead of relying on a helping hand 24/7. That's just not how life works and I learned that the hard way as I got older.

Sheesh....shit like this pisses me off to no end. Irresponsibility. One time while I was waiting for an R32 (A) to Far Rockaway to show up during the late AM Rush at Fulton Street at the [10] car marker, this woman asked me where the Uptown (4)(5) was. I simply told her at the end of the platform and also told her nicely to just follow the signs. As she walked away, she said "I ain't reading no signs". I was like in my head "bitch, are you serious? How the hell you gonna know where you going then?"

Sometimes you just can't fix stupid and hypocrisy. Anyway, I think this is one of the things that make the R32s a better fit for the (A) than the (C), so that they can run at selected times of the day or just separate the car class by branch instead. That way, all those R32 fleet swaps that took place in the 2010s could have been avoided. In general, people memorizes their uniformed fleets on their line as they enter a station from street level/freely transfer from another line to the point that when they see their train already in the station almost ready to close its doors, they just swiped in, rush up or down the stairs, and hop on without even asking what train it is. I see this all the time on the (3) and (R) (before the latter got the R160s from CI).

Edited by Jemorie

4 hours ago, SubwayFan3000 said:

foamers are idiots and they are part of the problem like MTA, yes R46s are worse than R68s and i agree with you. I've ride the R46s now daily, it is very very shitty as f**k and it has go to go ASAP when R211s arrive in Q3/Q4 2020-Q1 2021. when R211s arrive, I Hope and Wish R160s that were swapped out from Coney Island Yard has to return back to their home (Coney Island Yard) where it was swapped out in December 2019-Q1/Q2 2020.

4 hours ago, SubwayFan3000 said:

This is irrelevant what you're saying, R62s are better off compare to Crappy r46s and R68s on (N)(Q)(W) Line, Astoria Line is now suffering from worse delays (People are trapped inside trains and even waiting outside of station platform for hours) because of the complexity of the job, stations being dangerously overcrowded especially on 36th Avenue due to door problems, paying more for a shittier ride consistently, R46s are literally falling apart and suffering from mechanical problems, Also Astoria/UES Residents, Riders on Second Avenue/Broadway/Astoria Line are complaining very badly to MTA's NYCT Subway about it. This is not like the Lexington Avenue Line and this is much much worse.

Like I Said Before that MTA should NOT have gotten rid of the new R160s from the (N)(Q)(W) Trains and we Astoria residents are f**king Pissed off since December, SHAME ON YOU MTA, SHAME ON YOU!

Yo, calm the f**k down. This will be the first and only time I'm telling you this, otherwise you will be put in mod queue.

FYI, that tweet was about an R160 that had a door problem.

Edited by Cait Sith

12 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Yo, calm the f**k down. This will be the first and only time I'm telling you this, otherwise you will be put in mod queue.

FYI, that tweet was about an R160 that had a door problem.

ok, i'm calm. i was criticizing the Swaps and the MTA Policies.

What is a Mod Queue?