Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

10 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I’ve often seen the <Q> sign on R46s since they started running that lone (R) train to 96th that comes back south as a (Q).

Speaking of which, I boarded car #9792 on the (Q) at 34th this morning. Meanwhile across the platform, I saw car #8926 in all its loud Siemens glory departing as part of an (R) train. There will be plenty more of that to come, I’m sure.

#8926? Looks like thats a new set that was transfered over.

Speaking of loud siemens motors take a look at this video 

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

If that’s the case, then they better pray that they will have enough cars to fill in the gaps.

And are they going to preserve at least 10 cars for some movie shoots?

they're not gonna have enough cars, everything will run on low spare which is a bad idea. the R46's are gonna take a beating. in the in they're only gonna have 5 spares and a pair of A-A cars which isn't enough to cover the (A)(C) . right now they have a 12 set spare factor, they had alot more before they started loosing cars back to Jamaica between 2016 and 2019. they lost a total of 7 sets 5822-5877 (which are now at coney island).

this won't last long, I counted 5 R46's on the (A) with dead motors. Pitkin is a good yard, it's just the (A) is a heavy use line and the R46's dominated the line before the R179's came in hence the high spare count alone.

people can laugh and joke all they want but when service goes to shit, they're isn't gonna be any back up trains available.

53 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

The smart move would be to "retire" them to please the politicians and then bring them right back into service and claim (rightfully) that they're unable to make service without them.

This is exactly what might happen. Those (A)(C) riders are gonna get screwed. Part of this is their fault for whining tho.

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

The smart move would be to "retire" them to please the politicians and then bring them right back into service and claim (rightfully) that they're unable to make service without them.

Still, it would be better to have a system where they don't have to appease jerk-off politicians in the first place.  A 55-year-old train is better than no train.  But since voters were either apathetic or just plain dumb enough to give Cuomo Jr. a third term, them I guess the people of New York get exactly what they deserve...

4 hours ago, Richard Lewis 1 said:

SubwayFan300 Dont worry R160 Alstom Come Back To Coney Island Yard Soon on (N)(Q) In 2025 Untill R211 (F)(R) Train Because Not All R160 Is Same Fleet.

You need to stop assuming which cars are going where in the future. As of now, the Alstom R160s from CIY are permanently remaining at Jamaica Yard. What happens a few years from now is a mystery to all of us, so just chill out and stop with the guessing game.

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

You need to stop assuming which cars are going where in the future. As of now, the Alstom R160s from CIY are permanently remaining at Jamaica Yard. What happens a few years from now is a mystery to all of us, so just chill out and stop with the guessing game.

Nah dude, from seeing all of richard lewis posts im certain hes just trolling this whole forum

10 hours ago, lyncdesert- said:

#8926? Looks like thats a new set that was transfered over.

Speaking of loud siemens motors take a look at this video 

Bro I took that one to 4th avenue 9th street Yesterday so I knew that the (E) and the (F) won't be sharing siemens anymore, So they have one siemens in one line and mostly that siemens must be from the (Q) 

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

About the R211 transfer there is a 50/50 chance that the R160s will transfer back to the CIY it's only a Prediction people keeps saying that but they don't know that's true, just wait a few years and will see about that

1 hour ago, Jacob said:

About the R211 transfer there is a 50/50 chance that the R160s will transfer back to the CIY it's only a Prediction people keeps saying that but they don't know that's true, just wait a few years and will see about that

Only time will tell

3 hours ago, Jacob said:

Exactly, I'm not saying R160s will return back to CIY when R211s arrive but I'm saying there is 50/50 chance. we will will see and we are not sure tbh.

(N)(W) are currently mainly dominated by R46 with few barely R68 and R160 so good luck searching for them, (Q) they are currently running some more R46 and R160s so you could ride a (Q) if you want NTT R160 along the Broadway Line.

R211 would probably just go to Coney Island and Pitkin Yards to replace R46.

(C) they are currently running some R46, few R32, and R179.

(A) R46, R179, R32 mainly only for Rush Hours, and one R68/R68A PM Rush Evenings. 

Edited by bwwnyc123

20 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

(N)(W) are currently mainly dominated by R46 with few barely R68 and R160 so good luck searching for them, (Q) they are currently running some more R46 and R160s so you could ride a (Q) if you want NTT R160 along the Broadway Line.

34 minutes ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

Theres also a 160 N going NB. Just saw it over the Manhattan Bridge.

50 minutes ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

There is currently a 160 Siemens on the W. 9057-53 and 9087-83. Its being held at 42 St NB platform bc of a R train that has not moved at 49 St.

Damn I must have gotten really lucky. 

In regards to this supposed "car shortage" that the R32s retirement would cause... how come everybody ignores the fact that ENY is a SURPLUS of 8 car trains!? ENY has like around 100 or so R179s where's they only had 50 R42s to replace. I wouldn't be surprised if the excess 179s ENY have will eventually get transferred to the (C) line. Yes, the MTA does at lot of things worth criticizing over, but I just find it hard to belive that MTA management is making a such a bone headed decision to retire a fleet of cars without a replacement, where the results would be disastrous. Either way they retired the R30 cars in the early 90s without anything replacing them until the R143s came along and the MTA made it work. I can remember a bit of the late 90s and from reading experiences from old timers and personal experience (I was a kid back then) I can't recall a car shortage being so bad in the B div that it affected service. If any older railfans on here that was around during the 90s can elaborate on this, please do.

I think some of y'all is just being a tad bit over dramatic about this cause y'all really like these cars and the RFW. 

Edited by trainfan22