Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

22 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

In regards to this supposed "car shortage" that the R32s retirement would cause... how come everybody ignores the fact that ENY is a SURPLUS of 8 car trains!? ENY has like around 100 or so R179s where's they only had 50 R42s to replace. I wouldn't be surprised if the excess 179s ENY have will eventually get transferred to the (C) line. Yes, the MTA does at lot of things worth criticizing over, but I just find it hard to belive that MTA management is making a such a bone headed decision to retire a fleet of cars without a replacement, where the results would be disastrous. Either way they retired the R30 cars in the early 90s without anything replacing them until the R143s came along and the MTA made it work. I can remember a bit of the late 90s and from reading experiences from old timers and personal experience (I was a kid back then) I can't recall a car shortage being so bad in the B div that it affected service. If any older railfans on here that was around during the 90s can elaborate on this, please do.

I think some of y'all is just being a tad bit over dramatic about this cause y'all really like these cars and the RFW. 

The (J) doesn’t really have a fleet right now. They just take leftovers from the (L) and (M) 

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

(J) currently uses R179/R160/R143 for passenger service. 

That’s what I mean. The (J) needs the spare R143s and R160As that the (L) isn’t using, since only about 64 R160A-1s are not slated for CBTC on the (L) or (M). ( The (L) has 64 cars for its route and the (M) will have 248-256 cars), leaving only about 56 R160A cars that can be exclusively for the (J). Then had the 100 R179s that are solely for the (J) and now you’re just missing the 40-48 spare cars.

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

In regards to this supposed "car shortage" that the R32s retirement would cause... how come everybody ignores the fact that ENY is a SURPLUS of 8 car trains!? ENY has like around 100 or so R179s where's they only had 50 R42s to replace. I wouldn't be surprised if the excess 179s ENY have will eventually get transferred to the (C) line. Yes, the MTA does at lot of things worth criticizing over, but I just find it hard to belive that MTA management is making a such a bone headed decision to retire a fleet of cars without a replacement, where the results would be disastrous. Either way they retired the R30 cars in the early 90s without anything replacing them until the R143s came along and the MTA made it work. I can remember a bit of the late 90s and from reading experiences from old timers and personal experience (I was a kid back then) I can't recall a car shortage being so bad in the B div that it affected service. If any older railfans on here that was around during the 90s can elaborate on this, please do.

I think some of y'all is just being a tad bit over dramatic about this cause y'all really like these cars and the RFW. 

Again you sound stupid

The R42's just retired, that drops 6 trainsets right there.

ENY has 100 R179's, half of them are the only surplus but even with the 40 extra R179's they still need the cars due to the (M) having newly cbtc equipped R160's which means the (M) needs a higher spare factor. So ENY needs their cars plus the unreliability of the 179's.

If they made the (C) 100% R179's ENY would need 50 or more R32's in return for the (J).

Why do you think the R46's are on the (C) Instead of more R179's?

Edited by R32 3838

Some of you guys make it sound like it's the end of the world that the R32's will probably be all retired before the R211's come in, and that only Pitkin and 207 have to make up the shortage which (naturally) they can't do on their own.

A couple of years ago when the Q started going to 96th St and the W came back meaning more cars would be required for service, transit managed by shifting some cars around and having a lower spare factor in each yard.  The same can easily be done here.

It's very simple to be accomplished.  Keep in mind that the division of car equipment will have it figured out as to the number of cars having to be transferred.  This formula is done with the assumption that the R46/R160 swap between Jamaica and CI has been completed.

ENYD can shift some R179's to 207 for C service.  CIYD can shift some R46's to Pitkin for A and C service.  CCYD can send 8 cars to CIYD to make up for an R46, as well as Jamaica sending some R160's back to CI.  With all yards contributing, each yard will get by with 1 or 2 less trains.  That means get them in and out of the barn a bit quicker, but more importantly having fewer cars sitting in the yards waiting to get into the barn which can't be used because of their defects.   

Finally on another topic: There are a lot of trolls "contributing" to this thread.  PLEASE DO NOT FEED THESE TROLLS, JUST IGNORE THEM.

13 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Some of you guys make it sound like it's the end of the world that the R32's will probably be all retired before the R211's come in, and that only Pitkin and 207 have to make up the shortage which (naturally) they can't do on their own.

A couple of years ago when the Q started going to 96th St and the W came back meaning more cars would be required for service, transit managed by shifting some cars around and having a lower spare factor in each yard.  The same can easily be done here.

It's very simple to be accomplished.  Keep in mind that the division of car equipment will have it figured out as to the number of cars having to be transferred.  This formula is done with the assumption that the R46/R160 swap between Jamaica and CI has been completed.

ENYD can shift some R179's to 207 for C service.  CIYD can shift some R46's to Pitkin for A and C service.  CCYD can send 8 cars to CIYD to make up for an R46, as well as Jamaica sending some R160's back to CI.  With all yards contributing, each yard will get by with 1 or 2 less trains.  That means get them in and out of the barn a bit quicker, but more importantly having fewer cars sitting in the yards waiting to get into the barn which can't be used because of their defects.   

Finally on another topic: There are a lot of trolls "contributing" to this thread.  PLEASE DO NOT FEED THESE TROLLS, JUST IGNORE THEM.

Concourse and CI can't afford to loose more cars though, that's the issue. If they would have never did this R160/46 swap, they could have probably did the R32's retirement with little to no issue. but now that CI is gaining R46's they need a higher amount vs the same amount of R160's.

the R46's might be more reliable now but their MDBF rate will drop since they're running on the (A)(G)(N)(Q) 24/7 vs the (A) 24/7 (not counting the (R) shuttle or Rock Park (S) )

ENY can only loose a small amount OF R179's (32 cars would be my guess)

had they kept a small amount of R32's ( same amount as the R42's) at ENY, they could have made the (C) 100% R179's and the R32's would be out during rush hours only.

I think the (C) keeping them was a bad idea

47 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Wikipedia information is only as accurate as the information the poster has.  This forum works the same as Wikipedia. 

Wikipedia is not a source of encyclopedic information.

For most things transit it is reliable, and I make sure of it. The thing is that unless we get access to inside NYCT docs, car assignment changes can't be properly sourced.

honestly there will probably be plenty of R32s on property even after they retire. 3354-55 and 3360-61 will probably get preserved because they were part of the first R32 run consist with 3350-53 which are also saved. 

other R32s will also probably be used for work service and could possibly bump some R33WFs on refuse duty to scrap. it kind of makes sense because the 32s have good bodies and are decent shape while the WFs are in bad condition (rust, missing rollsigns, non-stainless steel bodies, etc.) 

and while the 32s can't traverse the IRT the 127s will likely go to the A Division to retire the WFs there after the 32s get placed into work service.

anyways some other things i observed when fanning the R32s recently: 

3380-81 is still active, saw it on the (C) today. highly recommend catching it since 3381 has an R30 blind end. 3394-97 are all grouped in consecutive order on the same train (other cars in the consist i saw were 3938-39 and 3432-33). 

25 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

other R32s will also probably be used for work service and could possibly bump some R33WFs on refuse duty to scrap. it kind of makes sense because the 32s have good bodies and are decent shape while the WFs are in bad condition (rust, missing rollsigns, non-stainless steel bodies, etc.) 

and while the 32s can't traverse the IRT the 127s will likely go to the A Division to retire the WFs there after the 32s get placed into work service.

That sound like something the TA might just do.

There is a R160 on the N. Spotted SB at Canal St. 9003-9007 and 9078-9082.

There is a R32 on the C. Spotted SB at Fulton. Car numbers are 3856-7, 3664-5, 3864-5, and 3726-27, south to north. 3856 is worthy of special mention bc it has its builders plate intact. The T/O wrapped it up right when we left Fulton, hitting 45 in the Cranberry Tubes.

14 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Concourse and CI can't afford to loose more cars though, that's the issue. If they would have never did this R160/46 swap, they could have probably did the R32's retirement with little to no issue. but now that CI is gaining R46's they need a higher amount vs the same amount of R160's.

the R46's might be more reliable now but their MDBF rate will drop since they're running on the (A)(G)(N)(Q) 24/7 vs the (A) 24/7 (not counting the (R) shuttle or Rock Park (S) )

ENY can only loose a small amount OF R179's (32 cars would be my guess)

had they kept a small amount of R32's ( same amount as the R42's) at ENY, they could have made the (C) 100% R179's and the R32's would be out during rush hours only.

I think the (C) keeping them was a bad idea

I don't speak as "an insider" but as a retired employee who knows what is done when barns have potential and actual car shortages.   Therefore, I have been "around the block" quite a few times!  If "Concourse and CI can't afford to lose more cars...", then transit will deal with it via the strategy I described.  If you and others on this site disagree, well that's fine.  The departments and people out in the field have worked with the cards dealt to them by senior management in the past and will continue to do so till the R211's are in service which will give them a better spare factor at first and later (cough cough) make improvements with all 600' trains on the C and 480' trains on the G, budgets permitting. 

Until then I think many of you ought to chill out a bit as the PROFESSIONALS at NYCT know do what they have to do.  I know if I had a son or grandson ranting and raving all the time here and on facebook, messenger and other sites that the B Division was about to have a meltdown or implosion over the R32's retiring (come on guys, they are 55+ years old), even as railfans we'd have a long talk that there are more important things in life to be concerned about.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

37 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

I don't speak as "an insider" but as a retired employee who knows what is done when barns have potential and actual car shortages.   Therefore, I have been "around the block" quite a few times!  If "Concourse and CI can't afford to lose more cars...", then transit will deal with it via the strategy I described.  If you and others on this site disagree, well that's fine.  The departments and people out in the field have worked with the cards dealt to them by senior management in the past and will continue to do so till the R211's are in service which will give them a better spare factor at first and later (cough cough) make improvements with all 600' trains on the C and 480' trains on the G budgets permitting. 

Until then I think many of you young ones ought to chill out a bit as the PROFESSIONALS at NYCT know do what they have to do. 

Bill, They been doing this bullshit for over 4 decades. We all know the R32's need to go but at the sametime i'm not going to keep paying more for shit service. (MTA) knew what they have been doing as well as the state. if they really wanted the cars gone, Albany should have forked over more money or (MTA) should have just paid for more R179 cars.

It's 2020, They need to get their act together. no one wants to be late for work because the (MTA) wants to take older cars out of service when the other new ones aren't in service yet. The R46's are 45 years old and are becoming less reliable. there's no way they can manage to do this without something getting cut.

These idiots want to push congestion pricing but want to make cuts and reduce the fleet.

and Im not trying to be rude but no one at NYCT is professional, the Most PROFESSIONAL man we ever had in NYCT was chased out due to the moron in albany with his big ego.

and this is not me saying this as a railfan, Im saying this as a paying commuter. I want better and more service, Not less service. I can understand GO's, emergency re routes and etc. but what they are doing is just pure stupidity

Edited by R32 3838

On 3/4/2020 at 11:58 AM, SubwayFan3000 said:

Exactly, I'm not saying R160s will return back to CIY when R211s arrive but I'm saying there is 50/50 chance. we will will see and we are not sure tbh.

Wait but My best friend told me that the R160s will be transfered to the Jamaica yard and IT WILL BE IN THAT YARD FOREVER he didn't Proved it but at the end of CBTC he told me it'll be extremely rare for an (R) train use NTTs

14 hours ago, lyncdesert- said:

Custom numberplate 8843-8847 Is now on the (R)👀 I thought they wouldve kept this set at CIY 

What would happen if they remove the (W) for extra cars 

They already did and the (W) trains r160s came from the CIY so yea.

16 hours ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

There is a R160 on the N. Spotted SB at Canal St. 9003-9007 and 9078-9082.

There is a R32 on the C. Spotted SB at Fulton. Car numbers are 3856-7, 3664-5, 3864-5, and 3726-27, south to north. 3856 is worthy of special mention bc it has its builders plate intact. The T/O wrapped it up right when we left Fulton, hitting 45 in the Cranberry Tubes.

Some R32s on the (C) train is retired and the reason you rarely see r160s on the (N) because they're still some sets running on the (N) line. Or less.

44 minutes ago, Jacob said:

Wait but My best friend told me that the R160s will be transfered to the Jamaica yard and IT WILL BE IN THAT YARD FOREVER he didn't Proved it but at the end of CBTC he told me it'll be extremely rare for an (R) train use NTTs

extremely rate for an (R) to use NTTs after CBTC??

51 minutes ago, Jacob said:

DUDE, DO U READ MY COMMENT WHAT I SAID??? I SAID I NEVER SAID R160s will definitely return back to Coney Island Yard BUT THERE IS 50/50 Chance since ALL R211s ARE ALL CBTC EQUIPPED TRAINS.

Edited by SubwayFan3000

These idiots want to push congestion pricing but want to make cuts and reduce the fleet.

and Im not trying to be rude but no one at NYCT is professional, the Most PROFESSIONAL man we ever had in NYCT was chased out due to the moron in albany with his big ego.

You Mean as in Upper management im assuming...