Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

6 hours ago, VIP said:

@Calvin is correct and yes there’s about 108 cars that are active. There’s been a few cars that have been stripped for parts indeed. I’m going to leave y’all with a hint. 3381 doesn’t have rollsigns... carry on. ;)

that seems right because the original plan called for only 110 cars to stay until 2022 while the rest get stripped for parts and storage.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Fuseguy is Cool said:

Ik this is random lol but any chance some R143s run on QBL when CBTC beings? 

Nope, there are enough R160s assigned to the QBL. The only chance is if a (J) or (Z) train gets rerouted or if an (M) train borrows an R143 from the (L) line (what are the chances of that tho...)

Edited by Snorunts

20 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

Nope, there are enough R160s assigned to the QBL. The only chance is if a (J) or (Z) train gets rerouted or if an (M) train borrows an R143 from the (L) line (what are the chances of that tho...)

What equipment runs on the M? I have trouble telling all the NTT equipment apart.

I always assumed M was also just R160 but 4 car consists instead.

17 hours ago, Tonyboy515 said:

It really did feel kind of like a mid 2000s throwback, really more like 2007 when the R160s only first began to sprinkle the (Q) fleet... except for the R46s.
This is what I counted in total today (There obviously might have been more than I counted) on the (Q):
7 R46 (Including the single train that ran as a shuttle from Brighton to Coney Island due to a GO)
3 R68 (2 in a row even...)
2 R160B

I got on one R46 to Brighton, and back on an R68. Feels weird to think that this is the new norm again.

Let’s not forget that one R68A that ran yesterday as well! Not sure about the (Q)’s fleet today though.

15 hours ago, Deucey said:

And of course, all the NTTs are better than everything else (NYCT) runs today.

Well, I don't know about that- the R62s on the (3) would like to have a word with you.

And I was the same way about buses when I saw the new Routemasters and Mercedes models in London and the Renault/Irisbus Agora in Paris.  And when the Orion V models here and back home in Sacramento were retired.

The Orion Vs weren't too bad- better than the RTS, to be quite honest.  Next best thing we have left is probably the New Flyer D40LFs, but I digress...

I didn’t moan or lose my faculties over any of it. 

So I’m wondering why that’s happening here - since the R211s are going to be produced, and the R179s are still being delivered - both in the next few years. Is this a NYer thing? Because it seems like these things of metal and electrics are causing a lot of “fights” and snipes.

Help me understand?

Regarding the last part- it's because some people on these boards nowadays (not you man) think they know everything and everyone else is wrong.  The real irony is that a lot of the real experts and/or voices of reason have basically disappeared.  But again I digress....

Saw an R32 (A) heading uptown at 175 St today around 6:25 pm. Bottom roll signs were set between destinations or in one case to “South Terminal” because of the Jay St GO. Only one or two cars actually appeared to have Jay St-Boro Hall destinations.

4 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Canarsie CBTC and QBL CBTC are not compatible with each other, so no.

That would make sense because it’s (MTA), but that doesn’t make sense that there’d be two different CBTC systems on B Division.

Honestly, it’d make no sense for the entire Subway to have two different CBTC systems since there’d be two different software management teams to program and service it, and when CBTC A-Division cars are retired, they’d have to put two different software suites and computers on the cars that would become service trains. Not to mention two different training sets for operators.

10 hours ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

Is it rare to find a R32 with its builders plate intact? Because on Thursday I was riding R32 3856 on (C) service and it had builders plate (post-GOH).

On a lot of the remaining R32 sets that I've ridden on lately, they've been intact. Some sets that I can remember are 3414/15, 3706/07, 3714/15, 3818/19, 3938/39.

On 3/7/2020 at 10:12 PM, VIP said:
On 3/7/2020 at 1:25 PM, Coney Island Av said:

3488-89, 3654-55, 3448-49, 3708-09, and 3672-73 have been running on the (A) a lot for the past few days this week. 

Whom ever made up that rumor about the R32’s being down to 80 cars is a tool. The consists listed on the so called retired list are IN SERVICE as I type. I operated in them. 3894/3895 etc!

None of the cars shown above are on the retired list, so they should (better) be in service!

3894/95 was pulled off the retirement list as of this Saturday (March 7).

3818/19 are still shown as retired, nor were shown in service through March 6 listings after brief restoration.

Is it still active?  We'll find out this week.  I'd say either 82 or 84 are currently in service, depending...for this day anyway.