Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As of today there are several R32s in the house at Coney Island starting the SMS. I'll try and get photos of the process as the program progresses.

Thanks for the info, I knew they were gonna start mind if you send me the numbers of the cars.

The R-32's which are arguably along with the redbirds are the best and longest-serving trains in NYC subway history. With that said and approaching 50 years of service, it long past it's retirement. The (MTA) should have just brought another few R-160's also so that the entire (A) and (C) line would be mostly R-46's along with a few R-160's. Please no haters lol from R-32's lovers, but just like a 1979 Caddy Deville, there a time and place to move on.

The R-32's which are arguably along with the redbirds are the best and longest-serving trains in NYC subway history. With that said and approaching 50 years of service, it long past it's retirement. The (MTA) should have just brought another few R-160's also so that the entire (A) and (C) line would be mostly R-46's along with a few R-160's. Please no haters lol from R-32's lovers, but just like a 1979 Caddy Deville, there a time and place to move on.

well if it wasnt for R44 problems, them R32s wouldve been gone :)

still waiting for the day for them to retire :P

Thx for the update! I sorta forgot, but did the R42s already had its SMS or is till pending?

Well, its as people have said, the best area of the system for a RFW is the Brighton...

True. But knowing the MTA, they wont place it on a line us buffs would prefer.

Its all about the commuters who ride them., where its safe and needed to place them

Thx for the update! I sorta forgot, but did the R42s already had its SMS or is till pending?

They had some compressor work done at CIY over the last few months. I only saw about 4 R42s there at any one time. I don't think any other work was done on them though.

I knew the R44's were going bye bye because of they frame issues but don't hold your breath on the R44's im just sayin you might see them again, btw Half of these R32's will not stay on the (C) after the summer when the (L) gets its extra trains they will be comming off the (J)/(M) but anyway they are here to stay for a few more years what do you expect Budd built some good railcars and this is why we need American builders back in the railcar business, im tierd of this junk from other countries, Its sad that the R160's look like they are 15 years old, to everyone be glad you still have R32's still running point blank

I knew the R44's were going bye bye because of they frame issues but don't hold your breath on the R44's im just sayin you might see them again, btw Half of these R32's will not stay on the (C) after the summer when the (L) gets its extra trains they will be comming off the (J)/(M) but anyway they are here to stay for a few more years what do you expect Budd built some good railcars and this is why we need American builders back in the railcar business, im tierd of this junk from other countries, Its sad that the R160's look like they are 15 years old, to everyone be glad you still have R32's still running point blank

Where did you hear this from? Just wanna make sure. The Bold btw.

It is nice to see the R/32's still around as I remembered when the cars first came in and replaced the standards and the D-types as I was in high school w. The series has moved around a lot since that time but yet when they were last run on the Brighton Line and the Sea Beach Line, they ran as well as if they were new. Whenever I ride these cars or see them in service, it brings back many pleasant memories of the many rides that I with these cars throughout the system.

Easy for you to be Monday morning quarterbacking.

When the R160's were ordered, there was no thought to retiring the R44's and combining the riutes of the M/V. The way things have evolved, naturally they would have ordered a few more R160's to wipe out the rest of the R42's in the "east".

Hindsight is 20/20.

The R44's are retired. None are coming back, you can take that to the bank.

Extra trains come to the L via having a lower spare factor. Nothing gets taken from the J/M. In fact, they've each had a trainset added recently.

Extra trains come to the L via having a lower spare factor. Nothing gets taken from the J/M. In fact, they've each had a trainset added recently.

As of now the R44's in the Coney Island Yard can't be brought back. They got damaged by Hurricane Irene earlier this year. The water flooded the yard and damaged the R44's. The chance of seeing them again is nil.

does that mean the R42s on the (J) will show up more often or it'll just mean less R160s as spare in East NY yard. When I Was in the city last sunday, there was only 1 R42 set on the (J) the other 4 were laid up.