Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that could be the case but the train needs work, and on top of that the (J) needs service, and 2 R42's are already on the (A) until september after Labor day when the (C) gets the R32's back

No way in hell would the ()' /> run a 3 car set on the (J) or (Z) lines. They get too cramped. Just keep them at ENY in case if a lead car gets damaged or breaks down, so the number of trains would still be the same.

just to bring back this thread: you guys have less than a month to enjoy the SMEE's on the (A), once after labor day all the R32's will return to the (C) and the 3 extra Jamaica R46's will return to Jamaica and the R42's will return to ENY, its Obvious that the (C) will get its equipment back once after labor day like last year, because when school starts Jamaica is gonna need its equipment back

Not to get all technical here, but aren't R46s technically SMEEs themselves? If that's the case the (A) really won't be losing SMEEs.

To me, I'd rather see the swap permanent until the 222 R32s and 50 R42s retire. It allows them to go out in the open on the (A) or (J) / (Z). And I agree with Art that the summer doesn't end until September 21. Not even that but it's mainly heat which is why the R32 (C) / R46 (A) occurred. The (C) should stay R46s because the R32s' A/C needs to function out on the Rockaway / Liberty Avenue Lines on the (A).

Yesterday I saw a 42 signed as (A) heading through Essex St. back towards ENY. It's like they can't want to take those cars back.

I saw one R42 in regular 207 <> Leffert Service yesterday during PM Peak service.

They have been sending trains to and from ENY for maintenance since the start of the summer. ENY is where R42s are maintained.

Also- I do not expect things to change back immediately after Labor day- It is usually still hot for much of September.

Yeah likely October. Last year the R32/R42/R46 swap didn't restore back until around late Sept / Oct.

By next summer all R32s will have undergone SMS. No such changes should be needed.

So the R32 / R46 Summer Swap will be officially over by then? Awww! :wacko: IMO, R32s do look better on the (A) and R46s look better on the (C), at least for the summer only. Oh well... :(

The MTA should have never replaced those old HVAC system of the remaining 222 R32s, should have left them the way they were...

Edited by RollOverMyHead

The 46s are workhorses that some could use some TLC. They are not "garbage", they have useful life left in them. The 42s are hanging on by a wing and a prayer and the 32s are just tired iron ladies having to stay around too long.

The 46's are not the lemons they used to be. If any train types in this trio are "garbage," it would be the 42's. Why did they retire the 38's instead of the 42's anyway? The 32's are exactly as you described, and they are having to stay around too long due to the 40's and 44's.

I was being sarcastic

I know

The 46s are workhorses that some could use some TLC. They are not "garbage", they have useful life left in them. The 42s are hanging on by a wing and a prayer and the 32s are just tired iron ladies having to stay around too long.

The R46's that are on the (A) are not work horses no more they perform Just as bad as the R32's and R42's if not wrose than both people just favor them because they are comfortable, they run like shit, the Jamaica ones run much better and perform way better than the ones on the (A), it seems the R42 is doing better on the (A) than on the (J)

Edited by R32 3838

Some people don't like to read at all, sadly, but We will wait and see what happens

I was going to actually explain why this is hypocritical, but I think just this sentence is enough...

Anyway, in terms of efficiency, it doesn't seem cost effective to have a set just sitting around when it could be in passenger service. What is the reason for the train staying in the East?

Man, it feels like every conversation about the 32's is a war of words.

Back on topic . . . I don't understand why the 32's would be in Fresh Pond Yard instead of 207th St. Isn't 207th Street the main local for the R32's on the (C). This can't be anything long-term, unless they are planning to run 32's on the (J), (M), and/or (Z).

Man, it feels like every conversation about the 32's is a war of words.

I agree. It's annoying just like the previous debates we have had in the past (the (W) threads etc etc). All we have to do is stay focus on topic on every public forum, otherwise we'll leave the thread alone but if not, the locks are necessary. If new ideas and discussions related to either the R32s or subway lines that were axed are brought up then that would be perfectly fine rather than repeating ridiculous followings, counterarguments and ideas.

I was going to actually explain why this is hypocritical, but I think just this sentence is enough...

The good 'ol "lets wait and see what happens" response. A key phrase when people disprove what you say. If only some people would take this advice to heart.

• 2 weeks later...

A little while ago, I was researching about the 2 R32 cars that got renumbered (3348 & 3669) and I got stumped on something.

The original number to 3348 was 3659 and it got its new number in July of 1994. Any reason why it got a new number? I checked nycsubway.org and it doesn't mention why.