Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

Some nasty planning ahead depending on how deep goes the Force Majeure (i.e. Coronavirus rider droppage).  One option is "Forever Weekend" scheduling on subways.  Otherwise a long-term subways closure may not be out of question as events require.  The need for R-32s seem to be leaving us all!

Note that WMATA is already full-time weekend scheduling and MBTA will be following next Monday.  Here we go...  

Worth noting that the pandemic will also likely delay the R211 production and delivery over the same period that any slowdown/shutdown would take. I would be surprised to see the TA fully deactivate a fleet that could very well be needed again. Very likely that they're removed from service pending a major slowdown – that's just good operations planning, MBDF-wise – but it does seem that it would be unwise to move to their retirement without R211s on hand. But the MTA has done dumb things before, so...

17 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Worth noting that the pandemic will also likely delay the R211 production and delivery over the same period that any slowdown/shutdown would take. I would be surprised to see the TA fully deactivate a fleet that could very well be needed again. Very likely that they're removed from service pending a major slowdown – that's just good operations planning, MBDF-wise – but it does seem that it would be unwise to move to their retirement without R211s on hand. But the MTA has done dumb things before, so...

This is gonna backfire hard on (MTA) , But Coumo is the one pushing for them to retire. People think this will work but it won't and once (C) riders start complaining on longer wait times, all hell is gonna break loose.

Had they kept 50 of these on the (J) I bet this would not had happened. the (C) riders bitched and moaned and it got the attention of our governor. no one really complained on the (J) at all vs the (C).

The Jackass wants to push for congestion pricing with a subway car shortage. I can't wait to so his ass get voted out.

Theres been a decreasing  amount of R32s out on the (C) and (A) lately but this week I've seen them on the (C) except  in the morning  I usually  now see about 2 in service  then later on more come out on the (C) for rush hours at least 3 -4 come out. For the (A) it's about one in the morning then another one comes out for the pm rush hour so there be about 2 one to lefferts and then the other to far rock which I mostly  miss and instead end up catching the lefferts bound one. I didnt spot no R32 yesterday  along 8th Ave even tho I wasnt along there for long I was shocked to say the least. I know usually  see more R46s pop out there be 2 out on the (C) I'm not sure how much the (C) has now but ik its 2 when I do fan them along the (C) line.

9 minutes ago, Ultimategamer12c said:

Theres been a decreasing  amount of R32s out on the (C) and (A) lately but this week I've seen them on the (C) except  in the morning  I usually  now see about 2 in service  then later on more come out on the (C) for rush hours at least 3 -4 come out. For the (A) it's about one in the morning then another one comes out for the pm rush hour so there be about 2 one to lefferts and then the other to far rock which I mostly  miss and instead end up catching the lefferts bound one. I didnt spot no R32 yesterday  along 8th Ave even tho I wasnt along there for long I was shocked to say the least. I know usually  see more R46s pop out there be 2 out on the (C) I'm not sure how much the (C) has now but ik its 2 when I do fan them along the (C) line.

In reply to the bolded, doesn't the (C) line fleet run all day with NO put ins during the PM rush? I know one train lays up after the AM Rush, the others run all day and night until (C) service ends for the day, or so I thought.

@vioreen  Queens Blvd is getting CBTC and thus the R160s that ran on the N, Q and W lines had to be transferred to Jamaica Yard in exchange for R46s. 

Edited by trainfan22

17 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

In reply to the bolded, doesn't the (C) line fleet run all day with NO put ins during the PM rush? I know one train lays up after the AM Rush, the others run all day and night until (C) service ends for the day, or so I thought.

@vioreen  Queens Blvd is getting CBTC and thus the R160s that ran on the N, Q and W lines had to be transferred to Jamaica Yard in exchange for R46s. 

Imo, The R32s fit the (A) so much better than the R46s. That stretch going northbound from 59-125 all depends on the T/O but the R32s weigh less so that's a reason to go faster lol. The R179s fit the (A) over tHE R46s too Imo

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The (C) fleet runs all day but not  the R32s as I should say which are running less now later on in the day more comes out on the line until late night sometimes I see some get taken oos at Euclid and 168th and a R179 would pop out and or a R46.

3 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Something that was brought up on a Facebook group:

Is it possible to convert half the (C) into 6 car R46 sets? There should be enough A-A cars to potentially make the (C) half R46 and R179 if they go through with retiring all of the R32s.

They’re not going to convert (C) 6 car R46.

6 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Is it possible to convert half the (C) into 6 car R46 sets? There should be enough A-A cars to potentially make the (C) half R46 and R179 if they go through with retiring all of the R32s.

If anything, the goal is to focus on making the (C) use longer trains.

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 11:58 AM, Ultimategamer12c said:

There is one C layup after the AM rush to 207 Yard that goes to the A for the PM rush.  There are no PM put in's for the C.

In other words whatever is running in the AM rush on the C runs all day, except for 1 train.

If you see anything different, that means there was a defective C consist that got replaced by another consist. 

The above applies to Monday to Friday operations.

22 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Bad idea because a 6 car R46 is shorter than an 8 car 60' train of R32's or R179's. 

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 12:52 AM, vioreen said:

Why majority of the R46s replaced the R160s on the N,Q,W lines ? could there be a better solution to this idea ? 

The purpose of the R46/R160 swap between Jamaica and CI is to get all R160's to the F and R lines (E and M Is already R160) so the new CBTC signaling system can be ran and is compatible with all the equipment.

It is also what this thread is all about.

25 minutes ago, KK 6 Ave Local said:

(B)(D)(G) are unlikely, they have 68s not 46s

(E)(F)(R) are unlikely, they have R160s, not R46s.

Yet we still have people assuming the R211s are gonna be assigned to Jamaica when there are no definite assignments for them. Point being, they can be assigned wherever the MTA wants.