Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The (N) and (Q) will have the 160 amount like the (R) back then: 3, 4, or 5 out of 10 trains. 

* This is as the entire Jamaica R46s are out of C.I Yard (3 to be moved soon). 

* Both (N)(Q)  (W) have R46 and R68/A mixture.  

Edited by Calvin

I if I was in charge of NYCT, this is how the R143/160/211 are going to be assigned to each B division line (assuming the R32/R46 already retired).

(A) R179/R211

(B) some R211(the line would still maintain its R68/a fleet)

(C) R179/R211

(D) someR211 (the line would still maintain its R68/a fleet)

(E) R160

(F) R160/211

(G) R211

(J) R160a / R179

(L) R143/R160

(M) R143/R160

(N) R160

(Q) R160/R179

(R) R160/ R211

(S) (Franklin) R211

(S) (Rockaway Parkway) R211

(W) R160

(Z) R160/ R179

*also the R211 would replace some R68/a.

6 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

(E)(F)(R) are unlikely, they have R160s, not R46s.

Yet we still have people assuming the R211s are gonna be assigned to Jamaica when there are no definite assignments for them. Point being, they can be assigned wherever the MTA wants.

they have CBTC in them and 8th ave is up next. the (A) will get these as they have R46's that need to be replaced.

anyone with logic and common sense would know that Jamaica Will get a portion of these cars. They might not get the base order but if the options allow open ganagway, These would be shoe ins for the (E)(F) since they have the highest ridership in the B division. 58 inch wide doors and open gangways = put these cars on the lines with the highest ridership.

as i said in the R211 thread, CI might just get the 2nd half of the regular base order cars for the (Q) which imo should be the only line to get these cars besides the (A)

41 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Not yet, there's at least 1 R46 that's still on the line out of the 3 8 75 ft car trains remaining.

Hmmm so Coney Island will be keeping some of the R160s then because to be honest I’m always in Lower Manhattan by the Manhattan Bridge & I still see more R160 than R46s crossing the bridge 

On 3/18/2020 at 8:47 PM, Calvin said:

... 8 75 ft car trains remaining.

These are the sets I’ve seen in (R) service (two weeks ago, assuming there was no swap since then) and are still at Jamaica Yard:

5498-5501

5570-5573

5734-5737

5802-5805

But these sets only make up two 8-car trains, so what are the other two sets to make that third full train?

BTW, there will be no updates from me for the next few weeks (maybe months) due to the coronavirus.

22 minutes ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

These are the sets I’ve seen in (R) service (two weeks ago, assuming there was no swap since then) and are still at Jamaica Yard:

5498-5501

5570-5573

5734-5737

5802-5805

But these sets only make up two 8-car trains, so what are the other two sets to make that third full train?

BTW, there will be no updates from me for the next few weeks (maybe months) due to the coronavirus.

5506-5509 and 5574-5577: 3rd train. Also, affirmative till there's positive news. 

Edited by Calvin

3 hours ago, KK 6 Ave Local said:

Any good reliable sources for R32 retirements? Wikipedia says there's 58 in service currently but in the past I was told not to use it.

There are two R32 trainsets in service on the (C) today as of around 3PM. 

Everyone being told to stay home does make a great opportunity for mostly empty interior footage. 

3 hours ago, 4P3607 said:

There are two R32 trainsets in service on the (C) today as of around 3PM. 

Everyone being told to stay home does make a great opportunity for mostly empty interior footage. 

I wouldn't be surprised if those were the ONLY two sets in service on the (C) today. I rode the (C) on two separate occasions today and only seen 46s & 179s on the (C).

Wow if the R32 go out like this.. they might retire before the Corona Virus is under control and most fanners might not get a final ride since it's suggested people stay home. Would be interesting if the fanners who go out anyway and ride the remaining 32s practice social distancing at the RFW meaning one person can be in that area at an time.

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if those were the ONLY two sets in service on the (C) today. I rode the (C) on two separate occasions today and only seen 46s & 179s on the (C).

Wow if the R32 go out like this.. they might retire before the Corona Virus is under control and most fanners might not get a final ride since it's suggested people stay home. Would be interesting if the fanners who go out anyway and ride the remaining 32s practice social distancing at the RFW meaning one person can be in that area at an time.

there were 2 on the (C) and one or 2 on the (A) . 3380/81 got repaired so I doubt it's retired, most of the cars are in storage until needed.

After reading about the R42 final runs I hope that they retire the R32s without any hoopla. Leave a pair of cars for the Transit Museum and that’s it I’ve ridden every type of car in the system over the past 70+ years. I’ve operated quite a few fleets that have been retired. Some cars I liked, some I hated, but I don’t recall any farewell trips for the Lo-V, AB Standards, Multis, or R9 cars. After the R42 shenanigans would love to see how many people would flock to a final run of the R32s during this Coronavirus pandemic. Talk about thinning the herd 😀. Just my take. Carry on.

Um, as best I can find there weren't ANY R-32s on the (C) at all Thursday or Friday, but am unsure about Tuesday or Wednesday.  They were definitely roading on Monday of at least four trains (32 cars).

It might already be ovah!

1 hour ago, m2fwannabe said:

Um, as best I can find there weren't ANY R-32s on the (C) at all Thursday or Friday, but am unsure about Tuesday or Wednesday.  They were definitely roading on Monday of at least four trains (32 cars).

It might already be ovah!

Definitely not true. Spotted one on the (C) Friday heading southbound.