Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

My ass sure isn't looking for them! Haven't stepped foot in the subway in a week, prolly the longest in my life...

I didn't bother riding the subway today due to the epidemic as well, and won't need to for the foreseeable future.

In the past couple of weeks I had more than enough R32 (C) train rides where I'm perfectly OK with that fact that I might never ride an R32 in revenue service again. With this epidemic fanning isn't even enjoyable despite the reduced crowds, the anxiety this virus is causing, the tension in the air, etc. For any buffs thinking about going fanning during these times, well the MTA advises you to stay home!

7 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I didn't bother riding the subway today due to the epidemic as well, and won't need to for the foreseeable future.

In the past couple of weeks I had more than enough R32 (C) train rides where I'm perfectly OK with that fact that I might never ride an R32 in revenue service again. With this epidemic fanning isn't even enjoyable despite the reduced crowds, the anxiety this virus is causing, the tension in the air, etc. For any buffs thinking about going fanning during these times, well the MTA advises you to stay home!

One thing I will say, I think this is gonna mess up the R211 delivery just as much as it messes up anything else, so even if we see the 32s removed for now, it's hard for me to see them completely retired without a legitimate replacement on hand...whenever that is.

11 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

One thing I will say, I think this is gonna mess up the R211 delivery just as much as it messes up anything else, so even if we see the 32s removed for now, it's hard for me to see them completely retired without a legitimate replacement on hand...whenever that is.

not to mention the fact that these won't be in service until fall of next year (assumign if corona virus doesn't mess anything up) because they still gotta go through lots of tests. this is precisely why removing all the R32s from service is extremely dumb. the 211s may seem like they will be in service soon but in reality it will be almost two years till the majority of the fleet gets on property, and it would be the same amount of time we would be having a shortage while ridership is going up. 

even the R42s should have been kept in service despite being surplus after all the R179s had been delivered. they could have kept them for rush hour put-ins. thankfully, all of those retired R32s and R42s are only mothballed in storage (mostly intact) so they can easily return them to service if they need cars. 

18 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

not to mention the fact that these won't be in service until fall of next year (assumign if corona virus doesn't mess anything up) because they still gotta go through lots of tests. this is precisely why removing all the R32s from service is extremely dumb. the 211s may seem like they will be in service soon but in reality it will be almost two years till the majority of the fleet gets on property, and it would be the same amount of time we would be having a shortage while ridership is going up. 

even the R42s should have been kept in service despite being surplus after all the R179s had been delivered. they could have kept them for rush hour put-ins. thankfully, all of those retired R32s and R42s are only mothballed in storage (mostly intact) so they can easily return them to service if they need cars. 

Right, I'm guessing a number of 32s get held in active storage while this disaster continues. I doubt there will even be scrap opportunities available – nonessential businesses are getting closed, after all! Plus, after the 179 disaster door earlier in the year, I think it was made pretty clear why it's important to have cars on active reserve.

Forgive the cross posting (Listing), but I think this is where it probably should go as well:

"There were three R-32 trains on  both Thursday (March 19) and Friday (March 20).  Not quite always the same consists, but overall this week there were 48 R-32s accumulating road mileage.

No more official retirements through March 20 so still 58 on fleet.  No weekend summary yet for March 21. Time will tell but 48 of 58 R-32s appears very realistic.  The other 10 would represent shop and available spares.

Lets pick up the tale for Monday (March 23).

B. Safe!"

With a handful of (C) trains (sometimes different cars and/or drilled in different consist) so observed (well done by the brave!), the R-32s were obviously alive through yesterday (Saturday, March 21).

Keep that flame going...:D

There's rumblings out there that a lot of the R46 converters are bad, which means that the stop and go nature of the (C) line isn't good for the 46s.

I'm skeptical of this rumor because they ran on the (R) just fine until they was swapped to CI, also the 46s are SUBWAY cars, not some locomotive hauled diesel train on a commuter railroad. 

Perhaps only the Pikin Yard 46s have bad converters, while the Jamaica/CI Yard units do not, who knows.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

There's rumblings out there that a lot of the R46 converters are bad, which means that the stop and go nature of the (C) line isn't good for the 46s.

I'm skeptical of this rumor because they ran on the (R) just fine until they was swapped to CI, also the 46s are SUBWAY cars, not some locomotive hauled diesel train on a commuter railroad. 

Perhaps only the Pikin Yard 46s have bad converters, while the Jamaica/CI Yard units do not, who knows.

R46's are starting to drop like flies too, one broke down on the (A) 2 days ago. they're overused that's the issue, and it's worse now because they're also on the (G)(N) and (Q) lines 24/7 as well vs. Just the (A) not counting the (R) and rockaway-lefferts (S) shuttles. 

they're trying to get the R32's off the road Temporary because of the Virus and social distancing but its hard to do that when you have R46's dropping like flies and R179's always in the barn with issues. That's why there's only 2 running instead of 4 or more.

it's obvious that the current formula isn't working out as well.

ALOT of Pitkin Yard's R46's always have dead motors as well, that's why the (A) has the highest spare factor.

had everything was left to normal and the R46's stayed at jamaica, This process would have been easier eventhough they'll still need a few R32's to cover service.

4 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

R46's are starting to drop like flies too, one broke down on the (A) 2 days ago. they're overused that's the issue, and it's worse now because they're also on the (G)(N) and (Q) lines 24/7 as well vs. Just the (A) not counting the (R) and rockaway-lefferts (S) shuttles. 

they're trying to get the R32's off the road Temporary because of the Virus and social distancing but its hard to do that when you have R46's dropping like flies and R179's always in the barn with issues. That's why there's only 2 running instead of 4 or more.

ALOT of Pitkin Yard's R46's always have dead motors as well, that's why the (A) has the highest spare factor.

had everything was left to normal and the R46's stayed at jamaica, This process would have been easier eventhough they'll still need a few R32's to cover service.

I don’t know that much about how subway cars work, but what does it mean for a train to have a dead motor?

I wonder if they'll be a chain or caution tapes surrounding the wheelchair part on the NTTs (142s, 160s etc.) and 75 footers near the cab to call it the idea to prevent more problems to spread. 

Edited by Calvin

4 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

A LOT of Pitkin Yard's R46's always have dead motors as well, that's why the (A) has the highest spare factor.

had everything was left to normal and the R46's stayed at jamaica, This process would have been easier even though they'll still need a few R32's to cover service.

Agreed. Would it have been a good idea to leave QBL CBTC to a post- R46 time? Just leave the R32s to the (G) and (S) and we would be fine

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I don’t know that much about how subway cars work, but what does it mean for a train to have a dead motor?

This is entirely a hunch but maybe that car isn't providing power to help move the train. So the rest of the train is just helping carry that car along??? Someone else chime in or tell me if I'm correct. Also, I think if more than a third are out on the entire train, I hear it has to go out of service but I've heard stories that trains only had 2-3 motors working so idk if that's true.

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

When of one the traction motors on the train is dead.. on the SMEE cars there's a little yellow light on the side of the car that lights up when one of the motors is dead.

On NTT when you don't hear the traction motor noise and the brakes is screeching. This only applies to the B div NTT as not every truck on the R142/A is motorized, so it's harder to tell when an IRT NTT has an dead motor.

Edited by trainfan22

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

When of one the traction motors on the train is dead.. on the SMEE cars there's a little yellow light on the side of the car that lights up when one of the motors is dead.

On NTT when you don't hear the traction motor noise and the brakes is screeching. This only applies to the B div NTT as not every truck on the R142/A is motorized, so it's harder to tell when an IRT NTT has an dead motor.

the R179's also have the same set motor up as the A division tech trains

When I hear about saving a particular amount of the older fleet my mindset goes in a different direction.  I remember the introduction of the R62/62a fleet in the IRT when I was a M/M or the R32 fleet when I was a teenager.  The new equipment was designed as a replacement for the older equipment. Think about it.  There's a finite amount of storage space in the system.  We don't necessarily store equipment on the structure for a reason.  Trains stored underground is not the best way either,  especially if it can be avoided. Look at the predicted time frame for the R211 and figure the need for service now and in the NEAR future because of the current environment and I am almost certain that the R32s are already dead meat to RTO and Car Equipment. I'm not Nostradamus but I think it's going to be a few years before the (MTA) runs the amount of service it ran 3 months ago. I hope I'm wrong but in my experience the economy doesn't turn on a dime so I can foresee them running less subway,  bus and railroad service with less equipment for a good while.  Just my opinion.  I could be dead wrong but I know the bottom line thinking of the management.  Who needs spares 😀? Carry on. 

Well, the (C) line is suspended right now with no reason given so their might not be ANY R32s running today..

https://mobile.twitter.com/NYCTSubway/status/1242050102593757186

EDIT: another tweet says its crews are taking precautions against Corona Virus so maybe that's the reason the (C) is suspended right now..

Edited by trainfan22

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Well, the (C) line is suspended right now with no reason given so their might not be ANY R32s running today..

EDIT: another tweet says its crews are taking precautions against Corona Virus so maybe that's the reason the (C) is suspended right now..

according to a post i saw on FB there's an R32 running on the (A) (departed far rock at 9:04 AM) 

5 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

There's actually a better chance that we see 32s than usual, since the entire fleet was yanked to disinfect. If they do restore service and need clean cars, might be the 32s.

15 hours ago, Calvin said:
16 hours ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

Can we have a Jamaica Yard R46 update please?

16 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

0 R46s left Jamaica since the last update.

In other words, still on the (R) for now (28 cars)

I learned that for some reason, R-46 5826-29 is back at Jamaica as of March 11.  Was in the barn for a few days, then seen on (R) service last Thursday (March 19).

Others still the same as of March 23:  5498-5501, 5506-09, 5570-73, 5574-77, 5734-37, 5802-05.  All on (R) when running.