Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Can NTT cars work in an A-B-A paring?

I dont think so because each A car needs its own B car. With the two A cars sharing a B car, the resources/necessities are being shared by both cars, and is more prone to failures or catastrophic breakdowns.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Supposedly a couple of full length R160 (G) trains ran this week to give riders more space for social distancing.

There’s been two sets roaming around, but as crews start dropping like leaves in the dead of autumn, the next plan is to have the (G) OPTO 24/7 

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 12:43 AM, VIP said:

There’s been two sets roaming around, but as crews start dropping like leaves in the dead of autumn, the next plan is to have the (G) OPTO 24/7 

600' G trains are operating since regularly scheduled intervals are not able to be covered due to lack of crews.

And who told you that 24/7 OPTO is the next plan for the G 24/7?  The fact of the matter is that OPTO is only permitted with trains a maximum of 300' long.  In other words, long trains on the G = NO OPTO!  It's in the contract!  When they did that on the L some years ago the contract was violated.  Once the grievance process went thru the steps, the conductors were immediately reinstated.

On 4/4/2020 at 12:43 AM, VIP said:

Whose asinine plan is that? As per contract that's Not permitted..

Geez where  some of y'all  come up with things like this?

5 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

600' G trains are operating since regularly scheduled intervals are not able to be covered due to lack of crews.

And who told you that 24/7 OPTO is the next plan for the G 24/7?  The fact of the matter is that OPTO is only permitted with trains a maximum of 300' long.  In other words, long trains on the G = NO OPTO!  It's in the contract!  When they did that on the L some years ago the contract was violated.  Once the grievance process went thru the steps, the conductors were immediately reinstated.

Bill that sounds like some stuff a retired TO  we both know of who would say nonsense like that..

1 hour ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

I’m aware of that! I didn’t say “they’re going to run 600 ft trains as OPTO. I guess some of you just have a 4th grade reading level with zero common sense. I see I gotta break things down into bits so that some of you who don’t have anything better to do but to criticize one’s post. 

22 hours ago, VIP said:

I’m aware of that! I didn’t say “they’re going to run 600 ft trains as OPTO. I guess some of you just have a 4th grade reading level with zero common sense. I see I gotta break things down into bits so that some of you who don’t have anything better to do but to criticize one’s post. 

Now listen here buddy, maybe some on here have a 4th grade reading level with zero common sense but you are certainly not referring to me because I would have never lasted with NYCT as a Train Operator for over 33 years (with 34 in the company) with ZERO operating violations.  Amazing you made that 4th grade reading level wisecrack to my post!

Furthermore if you go back to your post of Saturday April 4th at 12:43 AM, you specifically said, and I quote "...….but as crews start dropping like leaves in the dead of autumn, the next plan is to have the G OPTO 24/7."

You're the one who told us what the next plan was.  Then you claim you didn't say "they're going to run 600 ft trains at OPTO.  So then who told you?  And why did you repeat such a ridiculous statement it you know better?

You are not a rookie on this site.  Under your R32 pic it reads "1,647 posts."  I have said multiple times (I have 1,546 posts) that OPTO is not permitted on trains over 300' in length".  So why did you even waste our time in telling us that ".....the next plan is to have the G OPTO 24/7?" 

As a side, on M-F on all 3 tours, there are picked conductor jobs.  Therefore there will be no OPTO intervals sent out M-F even with a 300' train.  At least last Friday, they were running 600' trains.  If they kept 600' trains all last weekend, they would of had to find conductors, which they can't even find to staff other lines.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

13 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Now listen here buddy, maybe some on here have a 4th grade reading level with zero common sense but you are certainly not referring to me because I would have never lasted with NYCT as a Train Operator for over 33 years (with 34 in the company) with ZERO operating violations.  Amazing you made that 4th grade reading level wisecrack to my post!

Furthermore if you go back to your post of Saturday April 4th at 12:43 AM, you specifically said, and I quote "...….but as crews start dropping like leaves in the dead of autumn, the next plan is to have the G OPTO 24/7."

You're the one who told us what the next plan was.  Then you claim you didn't say "they're going to run 600 ft trains at OPTO.  So then who told you?  And why did you repeat such a ridiculous statement it you know better?

You are not a rookie on this site.  Under your R32 pic it reads "1,647 posts."  I have said multiple times (I have 1,546 posts) that OPTO is not permitted on trains over 300' in length".  So why did you even waste our time in telling us that ".....the next plan is to have the G OPTO 24/7?" 

As a side, on M-F on all 3 tours, there are picked conductor jobs.  Therefore there will be no OPTO intervals sent out M-F even with a 300' train.  At least last Friday, they were running 600' trains.  If they kept 600' trains all last weekend, they would of had to find conductors, which they can't even find to staff other lines.

Bill please do not let  know it all will never see a operating cab ever in passenger service in his lifetime get under yer skin, just laugh and scroll by the foolishness..

Hes not even worth an explanation...

Edited by RTOMan

3 hours ago, 4P3607 said:

There is still a single R46 along the (R) . It just passed me at Steinway going to 71st. 

Guessing the swap is on "pause" as well for now. 

2 hours ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

Its been for quite a while, about 3-4 weeks.

The resume button won't be active till this situation clears up but yes. 

31 minutes ago, Collin said:

Well there's the unceremonious retirement I expected.  Hopefully they'll keep a set operational to do a farewell trip later on.

That does not mean they are all retired. Big difference between OOS and retired.

The R32s are not needed because of the (C) not running at this time.

19 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

That does not mean they are all retired. Big difference between OOS and retired.

The R32s are not needed because of the (C) not running at this time.

It’s not that they’re not necessarily needed the union pushed to get these trains off the road to prevent conductors from having to change cabs amidst this pandemic.