Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
INDman

Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

In the middle of March before things got crazy they were barely using the R32s. If they do come back I hope they don't run everyday and run at random times so railfans have a hard time finding them :D

you really need to stop with the ignorant comments you are starting to sound like an ass

 

4 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

It was a big mistake retiring the R42's this early as well in my opinion. If MTA were smart they would've left the R42's as resevre units.

they didn't need them anymore since there's more than enough R179's and R32's, but the R42's are in reserve right now anyway

Edited by R32 3838

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

It was a big mistake retiring the R42's this early as well in my opinion. If MTA were smart they would've left the R42's as resevre units.

The reason the TA buys NTT is old replace old SMEE's, the R179s easily did that with the R42 and already took a big chunk out of the remaining R32 fleet and could possibly replace all of them. No point in keeping a small fleet of 50 cars that are 50 years old running if they aren't needed.

 

 

I also think the TA made a big mistake retiring the cars the R62A replaced, A/C always breaking down on those, the overhead fans on the R17/21/22 were much more reliable!:rolleyes: 

 

 

 

Seriously, these cars have to retire eventually, the TA doesn't have infinite yard space and can't horde an whole bunch of old subway cars in case an NTT fails. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The reason the TA buys NTT is old replace old SMEE's, the R179s easily did that with the R42 and already took a big chunk out of the remaining R32 fleet and could possibly replace all of them. No point in keeping a small fleet of 50 cars that are 50 years old running if they aren't needed.

 

 

I also think the TA made a big mistake retiring the cars the R62A replaced, A/C always breaking down on those, the overhead fans on the R17/21/22 were much more reliable!:rolleyes: 

 

 

 

Seriously, these cars have to retire eventually, the TA doesn't have infinite yard space and can't horde an whole bunch of old subway cars in case an NTT fails. 

 

The R179's were not Originally to replace all the R32's, only half. hence why 110 cars were staying past 2020, it's documented. the main reason to keep the R32's until 2022 was to keep up with the demand of high ridership and 2nd ave service.

 

why get rid of subway cars when before the virus ridership was high.

 

some of You are selfish as f**k, if they don't have enough R179's or R46's as spares due to door issues and breakdowns, (A)(C) riders will have to wait longer for a train to show up.

 

and if the (B)(C)(W)(Z) lines returns once things are back to normal, it would make sense to run more R32's and rotate them with the R46's so this way no one is cramped in. after this dies down, i doubt they'll care if they'll care too hard to retire the whole fleet. the only way the R32's wouldn't come back if there's a service cut. I doubt they'll be one since (MTA) got 4 billion from the feds.

Edited by R32 3838
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

In the middle of March before things got crazy they were barely using the R32s. If they do come back I hope they don't run everyday and run at random times so railfans have a hard time finding them :D

Easy enough. Wait at Chambers, Fulton or High Street. You'll see the whole C service in an hour, slightly longer for the A.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2020 at 3:44 PM, R32 3838 said:

you really need to stop with the ignorant comments you are starting to sound like an ass

 

they didn't need them anymore since there's more than enough R179's and R32's, but the R42's are in reserve right now anyway

Don’t mind him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

 

the only way the R32's wouldn't come back if there's a service cut. I doubt they'll be one since (MTA) got 4 billion from the feds.

The $3.8 billion from the Feds is a stopgap at best.  The MTA is projecting a $6 billion deficit by the end of the year.  There will be a deficit even if all ridership returns within six months, which probably isn't happening (unemployment being a big reason).  The state has its own deficit to worry about now and will not be able to give billions more to the MTA.  Sadly, I think service cuts are very, very likely. 

Edited by RailBus63
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, RailBus63 said:

The $3.8 billion from the Feds is a stopgap at best.  The MTA is projecting a $6 billion deficit by the end of the year.  There will be a deficit even if all ridership returns within six months, which probably isn't happening (unemployment being a big reason).  The state has its own deficit to worry about now and will not be able to give billions more to the MTA.  Sadly, I think service cuts are very, very likely. 

Another question down the line is if the budget crisis rolls into capital spending. Immediate cuts will come out of Operations, but Capital could be affected if the feds don't help enough (very likely with the current administration and their cronies in Congress). If that occurs, any contract not already fulfilled (R211 option, R262s) could be delayed or pushed down the line. It might be that the R32s go, but the R46s have to last longer than planned, for example.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RailBus63 said:

The $3.8 billion from the Feds is a stopgap at best.  The MTA is projecting a $6 billion deficit by the end of the year.  There will be a deficit even if all ridership returns within six months, which probably isn't happening (unemployment being a big reason).  The state has its own deficit to worry about now and will not be able to give billions more to the MTA.  Sadly, I think service cuts are very, very likely. 

yeah services cuts might happen but once they rollout OMNY 100% ridership would go up. Its like when the metrocard was introduced, ridership grew. It all depends on how everything turns out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

yeah services cuts might happen but once they rollout OMNY 100% ridership would go up. Its like when the metrocard was introduced, ridership grew. It all depends on how everything turns out.

Yeah although think about the discounts that came with the Metrocard (transfers, bonuses, etc.). They're not gonna add a new transfer in or anything like that, and if anything we know they're cutting the FairFares etc. subsidies from the city, so I wouldn't count on that quite as much as with Metrocards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2020 at 11:27 AM, Jemorie said:

Don’t mind him.

On 4/13/2020 at 1:28 PM, Jemorie said:

Okay Moderator/TSS Daniel.

I'm with Daniel on this. Save that type of language for social media. There was literally no need for that in this thread, or in this forum for that matter.

As I've reiterated before, this forum is not Facebook.

  • Thumbs Up 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2020 at 6:07 PM, nightmare402 said:
On 4/3/2020 at 5:28 PM, RedLine said:

All R32s are out of service.

the C is suspended

Did anyone also notice that R-179s 3150-3237 are on ice as long as the (C) is, too.  The 8-car R-179s can't be used on the (A).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

Did anyone also notice that R-179s 3150-3237 are on ice as long as the (C) is, too.  The 8-car R-179s can't be used on the (A).

Naturally this makes sense🥱... However, if they really needed to they could take B-cars from this batch(R-179s 3150-3237) and insert them into each other to make 5 car sets for 10-car operation on the (A). Of course this would result in  idle A-cars left in the yard...😒nevertheless this is clearly one of those situations that highlight the shortcomings of the R-179 order...😞

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure they have many cars of all the different models parked indefinitely until service increases again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 2:41 PM, B22viaAtlanticAv said:

Naturally this makes sense🥱... However, if they really needed to they could take B-cars from this batch(R-179s 3150-3237) and insert them into each other to make 5 car sets for 10-car operation on the (A). Of course this would result in  idle A-cars left in the yard...😒nevertheless this is clearly one of those situations that highlight the shortcomings of the R-179 order...😞

Ridiculous. 

Each set would have to come in to the main shop and be broken apart.  and these have cables and drawbars.  Then each set would have to be track tested to see if all systems are working properly.  You should know by now the virus has hit NYCT hard, the  shops too.  Personnel is very limited.  Then when they need the cars again, the whole process starts all over.

Very labor intensive.

 

 

Edited by Bill from Maspeth
  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Ridiculous. 

Each set would have to come in to the main shop and be broken apart.  and these have cables and drawbars.  Then each set would have to be track tested to see if all systems are working properly.  You should know by now the virus has hit NYCT hard, the  shops too.  Personnel is very limited.  Then when they need the cars again, the whole process starts all over again.

Very labor intensive.

 

 

Just to clarify, I never said they should consider this option, I was just simply pointing over the lack of flexible with the R179 order over all. That's why I said if they really needed to they could...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder: How are the R46s doing with crowds during the rush on the (N)(Q)(W) and (G) vs the (F)(R) lines?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well there aren't many crowds now.  I'm sure they're fine.  The (N)(Q)(W) ran R68's for years.  The only line that can run them but doesn't work with 75 footers is the (E).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Collin said:

Well there aren't many crowds now.  I'm sure they're fine.  The (N)(Q)(W) ran R68's for years.  The only line that can run them but doesn't work with 75 footers is the (E).

 

the (Q) is terrible with the R46's since 2nd ave has high ridership. the (N)(W) to me is fine with the R46's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fan Railer said:

R32s are retired as of the new B division assignment effective 4/27/20.

I don't believe the R32s are done for good and I WANT the 32 to be retired lol

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Fan Railer said:

R32s are retired as of the new B division assignment effective 4/27/20.

I almost went crazy reading this for a minute since today's 4/24/2020. I hope that some sort of retirement ceremony could still happen once this pandemic is over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

I almost went crazy reading this for a minute since today's 4/24/2020. I hope that some sort of retirement ceremony could still happen once this pandemic is over.

I don't see why that couldn't happen. But with everything being as unpredictable as it is right now, I wouldn't hold my breath,

  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.