Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

A little while ago, I was researching about the 2 R32 cars that got renumbered (3348 & 3669) and I got stumped on something.

The original number to 3348 was 3659 and it got its new number in July of 1994. Any reason why it got a new number? I checked nycsubway.org and it doesn't mention why.

Incident probably, The original 3348 was scrapped probably. I don't know the exact answer.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The original 3348 was an R10.

After one or more incidents, they ended up with two good odd numbered R32's (which both have the compressors rather than the electrical equipment); so they changed one over to an electrical car, and thus had to give it an even number, and I guess the only thing available was something out of the 3350-3948 range, so they used the closest former R10 number.

The original 3348 was an R10.

After one or more incidents, they ended up with two good odd numbered R32's (which both have the compressors rather than the electrical equipment); so they changed one over to an electrical car, and thus had to give it an even number, and I guess the only thing available was something out of the 3350-3948 range, so they used the closest former R10 number.

Which is what happened to the original 3669. The original one hit the wall on the Feanklin (S) which deemed it useless so it's mate became the new 3669

• 2 weeks later...

since its almost labor day, thing may get back to normal, but its unkown when they will start swapping equipment, BTW there is an R44 being worked on in the 207th st main shops (not stripped) rumors saying its for the museum others are saying they are bringing them back, ( i hope not) :

http://www.subchat.com/readflat.asp?Id=1174976&p=1#1175131

this Fall is gonna be intresting

I'm hearing 32's might be on the (A) for a while longer, I hope its not true, I'm working the (A) on sunday I'll be asking.....

oh hell no, I want em back on the (C) already, i want the 8 car (C) train back lol

trust Me guys I can't STAND the R44's and yes theres a picture going around of the R44 being rehabbed, but THAT might just BE a museum car thats why i said rumor, and to be honest Subchat has way better sources on there than this site, they may flame eachother to death but when it comes to the real deal they are right on the money, on here theres too much foam

oh hell no, I want em back on the (C) already, i want the 8 car (C) train back lol

trust Me guys I can't STAND the R44's and yes theres a picture going around of the R44 being rehabbed, but THAT might just BE a museum car thats why i said rumor, and to be honest Subchat has way better sources on there than this site, they may flame eachother to death but when it comes to the real deal they are right on the money, on here theres too much foam

Well since I take the (A)(C) to school, I too want to the short length 60 foot (C) train back as well though its still hot through much of September. Maybe by September 9, the (A) will be back to 100% R46s and the (C) 100% R32s as well as the R42s returning back to the (J)(Z).

He's got a point on this one, why would they be restoring it? Didn't they already decide that it'd be the R46s and not the R44s in the museum? I'm not trying to get involved with all the foaming here, but I'll admit that's real interesting.

Why would you put an R46 in the museum in place of an R44? There's more historical value to the R44s simply because of the speed record they set.

If the TM is running out of space, I would rather have the R46 pair over the R44 as they don't have the structural issues. That said, wasn't there an R44 pair that was fully stainless steel?

There were two NYCT R44 cars that had their carbon steel "belts" replaced with stainless steel ones.

If I remember correctly, all R44s, regardless of the metal used for the belt, still had carbon steel frames underneath the body.

What a bunch of foam, suggesting that the R44's have any possibility of coming back. I know vulgar language is frowned upon in these forums, but the 44's were c#$p from day one. Not even GOH was able to help these lemons they called the R44's.

Yep. Only the SIR R44s are great lol. But yeah, the (A) and RPS (S) has suffered enough with those NYCS cars. I wonder if the R46s will end up in the same fate...that IND Rockaway Line and the Jamaica Bay crossing really should be updated with new tracks and signals. I can just reflect when I've discovered that the R46s have been overused at any period of time since 1977. I thought the purpose for (A)(C)(S) was to have spare cars as universal...the (MTA) really needs to be way more careful since they're a transit public agency..