Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

21 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

So I was thinking about what's the best way to keep the R32's active until the R211's arrive and had an idea;

1. Send 6 10 car R32 sets to the Rockaway Park shuttle for beach service (since more service will mean more social distancing). The R46's from the Rockaway Park (S) go to the (C)increasing the spare factor by 1 full train and a half.

2. Send 4 8 car R32's to East New York for use on the (Z)

The Rock Park shuttle uses 3 trains, not 6.  Second it is OPTO.  You can't run OPTO with an R32, no matter how long the train is.  Third, all NYC beaches are closed, the Rock Park shuttle has extremely low ridership.  So three 4 car R46's are enough. 

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, VIP said:

The 10-car R160’s from either Culver yard or Jamaica yard are not going anywhere as of yet. It MAY be the 46’s from Coney Island yard to be transferred. 

The F is running on 8 minute headways Monday morning.  Therefore there are R160's available as the F will not need as many trains as normal.  Friday night they transferred 5 R160's from CIYD to Rock Park Yard for Monday AM service.

50 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

The Rock Park shuttle uses 3 trains, not 6.  Second it is OPTO.  You can't run OPTO with an R32, no matter how long the train is.  Third, all NYC beaches are closed, the Rock Park shuttle has extremely low ridership.  So three 4 car R46's are enough. 

Re-read what I said. I said send 6 R32's to the Rockaway Park Shuttle for a service increase. People have been home for almost 3 months, it's summer, NYC beaches are due to open soon anyway, which is going to lead to way more ridership. What better way to promote social distancing with more trains for service.

And the shuttle can be changed to have a conductor during the summer season. Not to mention the shuttle does not have an island platform anywhere except for Rockaway Park, which makes OPTO during the off-season easier.

1 hour ago, Fuseguy is Cool said:

Have there been any Siemens sets transferred? 

I think it was just Alstom R160s that belong to Jamaica but are stored in Coney Island. They are available due to the (F) running reduced service. The Coney Island Cars would be unavailable due to low spare availability already present in that yard, and especially if the (B) and (W) are coming back Monday. The (N) and (Q) are pretty much at full service already, so that doesn’t leave many spare cars past Monday

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Re-read what I said. I said send 6 R32's to the Rockaway Park Shuttle for a service increase. People have been home for almost 3 months, it's summer, NYC beaches are due to open soon anyway, which is going to lead to way more ridership. What better way to promote social distancing with more trains for service.

And the shuttle can be changed to have a conductor during the summer season. Not to mention the shuttle does not have an island platform anywhere except for Rockaway Park, which makes OPTO during the off-season easier.

I know exactly what you said and I disagree 100% in what you said.  STOP DREAMING!  The beaches are closed NOW! NYCT will not encourage ridership to a closed beach!  As we all know the shuttle runs to Broad Channel and connects with all Far Rock A trains. 3 trains does the job.  I does not need a service increase because that would require more t/o's as well as c/r's.  What happens on a rainy day?  These crews would have PICKED jobs anyway.  They are not going to put OPTO on an R32!  There are drum switches involved which will not be changed with passengers on the train at Rock Park if the platform is opposite the t/o.  And if it would be OK, a 4 car R32 would be the CONTRACTUAL limit.  NYCT does not have all their t/o's and c/r's back anyway.  I'm telling you, since I know their thinking after working for transit for over 30 years, nothing will change in the Rockaways.  The only POSSIBLE improvement you will see is 8 car R46's to Rockaway Blvd. on weekends, which is usually running by now but not this year.

Subway car availability is very tight.  They will not spend money on reactivating more R32's for such a worthless reason.  Social Distancing: the A from Euclid (and north) to Broad Channel where they would catch the shuttle would have more Social Distancing issues than the shuttle they catch at Broad Channel which may be crowded, but half go one stop to Beach 98th and the rest to Beach 116.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

Let’s see how many weeks it’s going to be until the R179s are back in service and all the cars have to be shuffled back to their yards.

an easier swap would have been

64 R46 from CI to Pitkin
50 R160s Jamaica to CI

80 R160A-1 ENY to Pitkin/207 St

96 R32/42 to ENY

but then again i see why they selected this move. Any “oddball cars (R160s)” found on the (A)(C) have to be sent back when the R179s are cleared for service (for another couple of months until the next issue arises). It makes the swap-back easier

Edited by darkstar8983

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

There's a very simple answer to this.

Don't open the beaches in a f***ing pandemic! We've already seen how well that's gone, and we still have to worry about the fallout from the recent protests (which only started at all because the police continue to act with impunity). The last thing we need is to make an awful situation worse.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Don't open the beaches in a f***ing pandemic! We've already seen how well that's gone, and we still have to worry about the fallout from the recent protests (which only started at all because the police continue to act with impunity). The last thing we need is to make an awful situation worse.

There is a low risk of virus spread outdoors.  I say open all outdoor recreation immediately.  NYS beaches are already open without issue.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Other NYS beaches opened during memorial day weekend and there hasn't been a huge increase in cases. As long as everyone social distances, it'll be fine.

43 minutes ago, Collin said:

There is a low risk of virus spread outdoors.  I say open all outdoor recreation immediately.  NYS beaches are already open without issue.

Robert Moses and Jones Beach have occupancy and parking restrictions in place. Social distancing and masks are mandatory. You seem to imply that everything is normal and that’s not the case. Just sayin’. Carry on.

1 hour ago, Collin said:

Among other places, Florida beaches would like to have a word with you.

22 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Other NYS beaches opened during memorial day weekend and there hasn't been a huge increase in cases. As long as everyone social distances, it'll be fine.

And exactly how many of those who actually went got tested? I can't imagine the number is anywhere near a large percentage.

9223-7:9293-7, 9272-9268/9333-9337, 9728-9732:9873-9877, 8688-8692:9113-7, 8723-8727:9453-9457, 9723-9727:9768-9772, 9198-9202:9363-7, 8708-8712:9328-9332, 9843-8947:9503-9507 : Jamaica 

8888-92:9018-22, 8993-7:9003-7, 8978-82:8938-8942 (C.I)

(12 10-car R160s for the (A) so far)

Edited by Calvin