Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To say that the R44 overhaul was anything but a wild success would be ignorant. They were some of the least reliable cars ever built prior to overhaul. While they did not stand out as high performers until the end of their careers post overhaul, you could not realistically call them lemons at any point after GOH. Also, some of the many structural issues were fixed during GOH. (As they were on other cars, most notably the R32s!)

Asbestos had nothing to do with the retirement of the R44s. Every carfleet up to the R46 (Not sure about the R46s themselves) had asbestos.

I can imagine...standing all the way from 207-Far Rock = no fun

Maybe they need to bring back the R-10's and have you guys work from in between the cars :P

Hey I really can't complain because back in the olden days befor transverse cabs it was all standing, heat and aggrivation for the crew.

Man, it feels like every conversation about the 32's is a war of words.

Back on topic . . . I don't understand why the 32's would be in Fresh Pond Yard instead of 207th St. Isn't 207th Street the main local for the R32's on the (C). This can't be anything long-term, unless they are planning to run 32's on the (J), (M), and/or (Z).

Agreed, I said the same thing, but when sometimes 207th don't have any room, besides they are scrapping R44's so thats taking up space, but it is odd to have the cars in FP yard until it got transferd to ENY where they are at now

BTW nothing new with the cars really, they are in the same spot since the day they got there

To say that the R44 overhaul was anything but a wild success would be ignorant. They were some of the least reliable cars ever built prior to overhaul. While they did not stand out as high performers until the end of their careers post overhaul, you could not realistically call them lemons at any point after GOH. Also, some of the many structural issues were fixed during GOH. (As they were on other cars, most notably the R32s!)

Asbestos had nothing to do with the retirement of the R44s. Every carfleet up to the R46 (Not sure about the R46s themselves) had asbestos.

The R62s and I think even the R68s have asbestos,

R-424810ALefferts.jpg

2 More weeks before they swap is what I heard from a dispatcher. BTW this R-42 had roaches at the C/R's position. I wanted to throw up, I wanted to take it out of service but I just wanted to get back to 207 and go home :angry:

dont worry those jalopies will be back on the (J) line and you wont have to deal with em anymore

I thought the swap was suppose to last until after this Saturday. Well, it is still hot through much of September...

2 more week to a month things would go back to normal, theres no offical date on when the R32's will return to the (C) like this person Mentiond:

http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1175446

They may not get the car assignments back to normal due to management issues, some shit is going on within management, if they wanted to they would've but the word out already

I doubt it, i know like 2 (A) line supervisors DON'T even Want the R32's on the (A) but of course they were forced to have em on there, thats why they just took them off out of nowhere in the end of 2010, but if this is in fact True, Jamaica and ENY is gonna be pissed, Jamaica Needs its R46's Back and ENY needs its R42's back unless ENY can fix up that R32 that they have sitting in their yard and have it for a spare train just incase they need a train, they need to end this bullshit already and have everything back to normal, it doesn't make sense anyway, the (A) spends alot of time underground as well, the (A) still had very Few Hot Cars (better than last year) they Need to just send them somewhere else already, its gonna result to that anyway, the cars have about 5-8 years left in revenue service, and i know they aren't gonna do this for the next 5 years, the (A)/© needs newer equipment, as much as i hate to say this, give the damn (A) or (C) R68/A's already, the R68's would be perfect for the (C) that would shut everyone up IMO.

Edited by R32 3838

give the damn (A) or (C) R68/A's already, the R68's would be perfect for the (C) that would shut everyone up IMO.

There's nobody talking but railfans, whom the MTA wisely doesn't care about. I mean, I understand that the R32s are unpopular but that'll remain true wherever you put them. Edited by TheSubwayStation

Unless in the future where Coney Island/Concourse finally give up the R68/68As from the (B)(D), they're not leaving those two lines anytime soon. And even if the R32s go somewhere else, it will remain the most hated train in the system primarily because it's old and even SMS can't prevent the true fact that these 48-year old elderly cars have to be replaced...Point blank.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

@R32 the A may spend most of its time underground, but unlike the C, it goes outside.

Yeah only to Lefferts, Most of the R32's go to Lefferts blvd now like only 2-4 trainsets out of all of them go to Far Rock, I spoken to a few people who work on both the (A)/© and they Both said this swap is bullshit, they take trains from other yards just to make service, they tore up Jamaica's R46's, The R42's look like they can't survive another day, its a big waste of money, if this is a common problem and they are gonna do this every summer, just move the cars somewhere else, the (B) is a perfect line because its Outside and its a 5 day a week line

Btw 1 R42 set Has Been Transferd back to ENY saw it this morning when I was on the (J) the set that had 4795 as the head car is back at ENY

Unless in the future where Coney Island/Concourse finally give up the R68/68As from the (B)(D), they're not leaving those two lines anytime soon. And even if the R32s go somewhere else, it will remain the most hated train in the system primarily because it's old and even SMS can't prevent the true fact that these 48-year old elderly cars have to be replaced...Point blank.

yeah of course but atleast they don't have to swap lines every summer, Jamaica's R32's had their A/C issues due to their shitty work but they still managed, even on the (R) when they ran em on the (R) there was never an A/C issue, only very few times as well as the (F), the (E) is a different story

and one thing i don't get is you guys saying oh they aren't going anywhere else, trust me about 50 or more cars will go elsewhere in the future, you already have 10 cars at 38th/CI for work service and 8 in ENY in revenue inactive

Edited by R32 3838

Sending those remaining 222 R32s from 207th to Coney Island means they have to maintain a third car. The (B) would only use 140 of them in service while the rest are spares. This also means they will sub for the R160s and/or provide alterative/extra service on the (N)(Q). The crews have to deal with the signs. Yes, this makes sense as the (B) is a 5-days a week line.

However I doubt the assignments will call for that. I mean what would be the gain of it? They likely don't want the R32s. Sure they will require frequent maintance but I bet that the (MTA) has the answer of why they only want the R32s on the (A)(C). All subway yards except ENY has 1 or 2 cars. (A)(C) riders have to deal with those cars regardless...You did say in another thread in the past that they laid off many people and have low cars now.

Hence the (MTA) being worst IMO. Subway cars like the R46s are used all day and night (some not all) hence the (A)'s issues with those 304 (38 trains) sets of R46s...This is why they should have order more R160s and/or kept 300 R32s IMO. The R38s to NYCS R44s' days are numbered.

2 More weeks before they swap is what I heard from a dispatcher. BTW this R-42 had roaches at the C/R's position. I wanted to throw up, I wanted to take it out of service but I just wanted to get back to 207 and go home :angry:

It's like that in DOB too I remember when I was in WF I had an RTS on the Bx36 and I hit a bump and a bunch of roaches came scattering out the rear vents the people were panicking LMAO

Who is "everyone" that hates the R32s? A bunch of railfans who probably weren't alive when the 62s arrive and 2 dispatchers who someone talked to. Hmmmmmm. I guess that everybody right? Honestly, those 32s are frakkin workhorses!!! And they can still jump like Jackrabbits and haul a$$! Everyone always has something negative just to say it IMO. "everyone hates 32s" "46s break down all the time" personally, show me numbers.

Who is "everyone" that hates the R32s? A bunch of railfans who probably weren't alive when the 62s arrive and 2 dispatchers who someone talked to. Hmmmmmm. I guess that everybody right? Honestly, those 32s are frakkin workhorses!!! And they can still jump like Jackrabbits and haul a$$! Everyone always has something negative just to say it IMO. "everyone hates 32s" "46s break down all the time" personally, show me numbers.

I like Both the R32's and R46's but the R46's are starting to drop more than the R32's, i just got off the (A) and about 4-6 trainsets of R46's had dead motors, of course people are gonna bash the R32's they are the oldest subway cars but they don't realize the R32's are work horses they do get the job done as well as the R46's but the R46's on the (A) are starting to become unreliable now