Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

49 minutes ago, Fuseguy is Cool said:

Yeah you are right and I agree but after all that's happened, I'm sure many riders are skeptical about riding the R179s. Who knows what can transpire next? When the R179s came out in 2017 they encountered so many mechanical problems then things just went downhill. The last thing we need is for another issue to occur this summer and the fleet needs to be pulled once again. 

The average rider won't know the difference, on sight or sound, between a R160 and R179.

I'm on this board and I can't tell you the differences, nor could I between R142/A beyond the destination signs being different, R68/A, R44/R46, and R62/A.

I can tell you the one diff I notice between R143 and R160 - the doors between cars and the strip map vs FIND.

But for the folks who aren't what y'all call "foamers", and diehards, some things are interesting trivia but not germaine to our daily lives.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Deucey said:

The average rider won't know the difference, on sight or sound, between a R160 and R179.

I'm on this board and I can't tell you the differences, nor could I between R142/A beyond the destination signs being different, R68/A, R44/R46, and R62/A.

I can tell you the one diff I notice between R143 and R160 - the doors between cars and the strip map vs FIND.

But for the folks who aren't what y'all call "foamers", and diehards, some things are interesting trivia but not germaine to our daily lives.

I barely could tell the difference between an R68/68A if I don't look at the car number.

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

The R160 and R179 sound quite different. I could personally tell the difference even if I wasnt a railfan for that and other reasons as well. Also, if the local news covers their return similar to what they did in January, that could definately draw extra attention to the situation.

4 minutes ago, happy283 said:

The R160 and R179 sound quite different. I could personally tell the difference even if I wasnt a railfan for that and other reasons as well. Also, if the local news covers their return similar to what they did in January, that could definately draw extra attention to the situation.

Only if Gothamist includes Spotify links of the motor sounds.

Or BuzzFeed does a listicle

Edited by Deucey

18 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

An average person does not care about what a vehicle sounds like other than it being quiet. They didn't look for details like we do. My own mother can't even tell the difference between a D60HF bus and a Nova Bus LFSA bus.

Hell, average person doesn't remotely know what a D60HF or a NovaBus LFSA even is.

Just now, Amtrak706 said:

Most railfans don't even know what that stuff is. Personally buses bore me to death, I really don't understand the appeal.

I am fascinated by bus routes and their history, but not so much about specific bus models. There are too many for me to keep track of.

3 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

I am fascinated by bus routes and their history, but not so much about specific bus models.....

For me, it's more or less this..... It has less to do with an individual bus/model (which I why IDRC about bus moves & things like that) & more to do with how buses operate within a network... Also. you get to see how neighborhoods change (for the better, or worse) over the course of time.... Everybody has their reasons as to why they find interest in a certain something & that's what does it for me..... It is what it is.

7 hours ago, Fuseguy is Cool said:

Yeah you are right and I agree but after all that's happened, I'm sure many riders are skeptical about riding the R179s. Who knows what can transpire next? When the R179s came out in 2017 they encountered so many mechanical problems then things just went downhill. The last thing we need is for another issue to occur this summer and the fleet needs to be pulled once again. 

I can guarantee you that the average riders don’t know or care about what car classes arrive at their station. They want to get from point A to point B period. If an R179, R160, R32, R9, or BMT Standard pulls into the station the average person will board that train. I’ve had people try to board the garbage train, the money train (collector), an IRT transfer at 125 St and St. Nick on the IND. Let’s get this straight. A Rail fan, buff, aficionado, whatever you want to call them, are by definition a very small part of the riding public. The issue(s) with the R179 fleet will be corrected just like any other rail cars in the system and the press and the average riders will move on with their lives. There have been passenger injuries and deaths in the past yet John and Jane Q. Public never quit riding the subway.  Rail fans might obsess over this. No one else will. Just my take. Carry on.

2 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I’ve had people try to board the garbage train....

Everybody has their lot in life....

2 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

....the money train (collector)

I personally hate the smell of money; gag reflex kicks in after a certain point..... AFAIC, whoever created the money air freshener for your car or whatever, should be shot.... Shit stinks to the highest of heavens !

7 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Let’s get this straight. A Rail fan, buff, aficionado, whatever you want to call them, are by definition a very small part of the riding public.

I'd replace aficionado with the term foamer.....

Regardless, it is very easy for fanatics to get caught up in believing (or expecting) that the general public have anywhere near a similar amount of give-a-damn about some facet of public transportation as we on these parts do..... When you've been living in the same neighborhood for decades & only know of the most proximate mode to your abode, that was proof enough for me, when I first started vesting a serious interest in public transportation.... Even in saying THAT, I'm giving some people too much credit, because you do have older people that's been driving everywhere since their early adulthood years & couldn't tell you what riding on a bus or a train is like....

22 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

There have been passenger injuries and deaths in the past yet John and Jane Q. Public never quit riding the subway.  Rail fans might obsess over this. No one else will. Just my take. Carry on.

Obsessive, as in, outright refusing to embark on a particular car type, for whatever frivolous reason :lol:

13 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

If you barely know what a bus is what makes it possible for an average person to point out a random train?

If most r/f-ers aren't privy to the different bus types, then it only bolsters the original point.....

37 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

If you barely know what a bus is what makes it possible for an average person to point out a random train?

Did I ever say they could? Below is what I meant.

21 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

If most r/f-ers aren't privy to the different bus types, then it only bolsters the original point.....

20 hours ago, happy283 said:

Absolutely right, I am a regular (A) line rider and I love the R160s on the line. Whenever the R179s do come back I would seriously consider waiting for an R46 for the exact reasons you stated.

Don't go there bro!  If you need to go somewhere and time is of the essence, you will take the first A train.  You never know if you pass up one A train because you don't like the equipment, the next one could be another R179, then what?

20 hours ago, happy283 said:

What happens when the trains get crowded. Some other users said certain lines have been standing room only.

They will not get crowded till September again.  The J/Z is running full service, the extra cars come from the L.  The L can get away with less than a 4 minute headway till school re-starts.  It's the summer.  Riders are swearing off the subway, will not ride; riders will be working from home; riders are on vacation, school's out for summer; most likely tourist attractions are closed for the summer  I have no doubt the R179's will be back by Labor Day.

It's probably standing room only for social distancing purposes.  Some will not sit directly next to someone else.  Riding the subway guarantees a ride, not a seat.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

20 hours ago, Deucey said:

Correct.

I have no doubt that most A line riders do not know that the R179's have been pulled from service and similar looking equipment has been substituted.

3 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

They will not get crowded till September again.  The J/Z is running full service, the extra cars come from the L.  The L can get away with less than a 4 minute headway till school re-starts.  It's the summer.  Riders are swearing off the subway, will not ride; riders will be working from home; riders are on vacation.  I have no doubt the R179's will be back by Labor Day.

Yep, MTA/NYCT will figure out away to make those R179's work right, like they did with the R44, R46 and R142's in the past.

12 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I personally hate the smell of money; gag reflex kicks in after a certain point..... AFAIC, whoever created the money air freshener for your car or whatever, should be shot.... Shit stinks to the highest of heavens !

Money smells?  LOL!  I worked at a bank for 7 years before transit.  The only money that smelled I ever dealt with was a fishy smell from some business at the old Fulton Fish Market.  Money is more dirty than smelly.  When I get my monthly cash from my bank (I'm old school. sorry youngsters) it never smells! 

Sorry for the off topic post Mr. Administrator.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

14 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I can guarantee you that the average riders don’t know or care about what car classes arrive at their station. They want to get from point A to point B period. If an R179, R160, R32, R9, or BMT Standard pulls into the station the average person will board that train. I’ve had people try to board the garbage train, the money train (collector), an IRT transfer at 125 St and St. Nick on the IND. Let’s get this straight. A Rail fan, buff, aficionado, whatever you want to call them, are by definition a very small part of the riding public. The issue(s) with the R179 fleet will be corrected just like any other rail cars in the system and the press and the average riders will move on with their lives. There have been passenger injuries and deaths in the past yet John and Jane Q. Public never quit riding the subway.  Rail fans might obsess over this. No one else will. Just my take. Carry on.

Yeah, you are right. Literally survey 20 people on any platform and 19 of them won't know that train model is about to arrive. Most of the public uses it for getting from point A to point B like you said haha. Occasionally, you might find a couple transit fans(once in a blue moon lol). When I'm riding the B/D it is very hard to tell the difference and the only way I can distinguish is by looking to see if the car numbers begin with 2 or 5 for either R68/R68A.

4 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

They will not get crowded till September again.  The J/Z is running full service, the extra cars come from the L.  The L can get away with less than a 4 minute headway till school re-starts.  It's the summer.  Riders are swearing off the subway, will not ride; riders will be working from home; riders are on vacation, school's out for summer; most likely tourist attractions are closed for the summer  I have no doubt the R179's will be back by Labor Day.

It's probably standing room only for social distancing purposes.  Some will not sit directly next to someone else.  Riding the subway guarantees a ride, not a seat.

On the other thread it was said that the (A)(L)(J)(Z) was standing room only. Ridership is starting to increase and the (L) running reduced doesnt really help.

5 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Don't go there bro!  If you need to go somewhere and time is of the essence, you will take the first A train.  You never know if you pass up one A train because you don't like the equipment, the next one could be another R179, then what?

Trust me, I am usually not in rush when I go places on the subway and in the past I would often let the first train go especially if it was crowded. My point is that it will take time for the MTA to restore my faith in the R179 considering the recent issues which could become a liability.

3 hours ago, Fuseguy is Cool said:

When I'm riding the B/D it is very hard to tell the difference and the only way I can distinguish is by looking to see if the car numbers begin with 2 or 5 for either R68/R68A.

The windows and lighting are different as well. Thats how I tell other than the number. Also the (D) never has R68As since their not at Concourse.

5 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Money smells?  LOL!  I worked at a bank for 7 years before transit.  The only money that smelled I ever dealt with was a fishy smell from some business at the old Fulton Fish Market.  Money is more dirty than smelly.  When I get my monthly cash from my bank (I'm old school. sorry youngsters) it never smells! 

Sorry for the off topic post Mr. Administrator.

Whether new or old/dirty, money absolutely has a smell & it's nauseating to me, but I digress.....