Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

Quite frankly, I'm sick of ALL these trains. 32, 42, 68, 68a, 46, 143 & 160 all have there own problems.

Indeed, which is why I don't see why some people (namely railfans) find it necessary to nitpick everything about them.

R32? Garbage. R160? Garbage. At the end of the day, they're trains, and they get you where you need to go. Enjoy the ride, and stop nitpicking.

There's nobody talking but railfans, whom the MTA wisely doesn't care about.

How about regular (C) line riders who complain relentlessly about the R32s? Quite frankly I can feel no sympathy for them; the cars show up, they run, they get you from point A to point B. If you want luxury and comfort then take a cab or a limo, or shut it and ride like everyone else.

I will not deny that the R32s are plagued with problems in their old age however, that doesn't make them bad cars though.

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed, which is why I don't see why some people (namely railfans) find it necessary to nitpick everything about them.

R32? Garbage. R160? Garbage. At the end of the day, they're trains, and they get you where you need to go. Enjoy the ride, and stop nitpicking.

How about regular (C) line riders who complain relentlessly about the R32s? Quite frankly I can feel no sympathy for them; the cars show up, they run, they get you from point A to point B. If you want luxury and comfort then take a cab or a limo, or shut it and ride like everyone else.

I will not deny that the R32s are plagued with problems in their old age however, that doesn't make them bad cars though.

the (C) riders don't even complain about em, but your right they do need to deal with it, the (C) had nothing but old equipment, it had a taste of brand new R46's (used) and R110B's (used and due to 3 cars being destroyed in a fire) and now the (C) uses R46's until whenever they return to normal

the (C) riders don't even complain about em

Pfft... yeah right. People will complain about everything and anything. However, it's not just the (C) riders... it's any line without the NTT trains. I was reading the R188 thread and I saw a member ranting about how the R62As are old and that the (6) should keep its R142As...

Not every line can get NTT trains. Deal with it. Wait patiently for the R179 order to wipe out the R32s, or avoid the subway.

Also, when are the R42s being retired? Some claim that it will be when the R179s arrive, others claim that it will be when the SMS on the R32s is finished...

Well, I'm not sure even the 'refurbished' R32s will be enough to lower the amount of spare trains the (C) needs. So I think it's more likely the R179s will have to arrive first before the R42s goes. The only way the R42s goes now is if they are just too costly or too much trouble to repair. As for people against older trains, as I've said, they don't have to ride them, they can either take the taxi, bus, boat or walk. At the end of the day, I'll take whatever gets me to point b (so long as the ac works in the summer and the heat in the winter, then I'm happy with whatever train I get).

1) I frequent the Fulton line. I don't see anyone complaining about the cars themselves. Crowds, tardiness and A/c yeah. 2) us here, to be completely real, are not the representation of average riders. We are unique. They just want to go from point A to point B. 3) 6 riders aren't coming riders and 4)slightly off topic, r62s are only 20 yrs old. They got another 15 to 25 years left. And honestly, Who the Frak cares? they're the first all stainless steel cars on the IRT. "silver bullets" and I bet those who complain about the age of railcar are probably only older that the 142s themselves. Hardly a good source of railcar age and performance. I'm sorry, but if you lived during the time of graffiti, what we have now, whether old or new, is a HUGE improvement!

"like" as you see fit.

1) I frequent the Fulton line. I don't see anyone complaining about the cars themselves. Crowds, tardiness and A/c yeah. 2) us here, to be completely real, are not the representation of average riders. We are unique. They just want to go from point A to point B. 3) 6 riders aren't coming riders and 4)slightly off topic, r62s are only 20 yrs old. They got another 15 to 25 years left. And honestly, Who the Frak cares? they're the first all stainless steel cars on the IRT. "silver bullets" and I bet those who complain about the age of railcar are probably only older that the 142s themselves. Hardly a good source of railcar age and performance. I'm sorry, but if you lived during the time of graffiti, what we have now, whether old or new, is a HUGE improvement!

"like" as you see fit.

Best post of the day

Well, I'm not sure even the 'refurbished' R32s will be enough to lower the amount of spare trains the (C) needs. So I think it's more likely the R179s will have to arrive first before the R42s goes. The only way the R42s goes now is if they are just too costly or too much trouble to repair. As for people against older trains, as I've said, they don't have to ride them, they can either take the taxi, bus, boat or walk. At the end of the day, I'll take whatever gets me to point b (so long as the ac works in the summer and the heat in the winter, then I'm happy with whatever train I get).

the R42's are on the last legs, the MTA doesn't want to SMS them and their roofs are in horrid shape, so they might have to use the extra R32's for (J)/(Z) service, keyword might, its more of a hard choice, but the way things look for the R42's, they may be out the door by next year, they can't last 5 years in the shape they are in unless they get a rehab

Edited by R32 3838

This is old news, they are already rehabbing them.......

Yup. I appreciate that Shortline provided an official MTA article, but he's late to the party.

Suggestion: can people please stop bashing particular subway cars, whether or not people think they deserve it? Sure, some cars are definitely better than others, but I (and plenty of others) have never run into trouble with any of them. I can't imagine how much time R32 3838 must spend riding trains to be able to make judgements about breakdowns. Let's just enjoy the trains, whichever types they are...

Edited by TheSubwayStation

This is old news, they are already rehabbing them.......

Yes mark it old news. With that said, the news here is that the (MTA) is actually doing the rehab work now unlike when story broke earlier this year. :lol:

Plus i merged all of the R32's threads into (1) easier sticky thread. This is done of course to prevent 5,000-plus chats on them lol.

Hopefully, next year they won't need to do this swap thing. I mean, that is the point of this rehab, isn't it?

I think the swap will continue since the R32s are the oldest and their air compressors are aging as well. But they don't need to send those R42s to the (A) ever again (if they shift the summer swap car assignments just right like I did).

Edited by RollOverMyHead

I think the swap will continue since the R32s are the oldest and their air compressors are aging as well. But they don't need to send those R42s to the (A) ever again (if they shift the summer swap car assignments just right like I did).

I think you're forgetting that the air conditioners are being replaced in the SMS.

I think you're forgetting that the air conditioners are being replaced in the SMS.

Oh yeah, I did. Silly me. But now I'm sad, I miss the R32/46 summer swap on the (A)(C)... :(

The RFW on the R32 along the IND Rockaway Line and the (A) express is just so fun! Oh well...