Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Car 3888, second car in the consist Queens Bound, 7th car Manhattan bound has chains on the #1 end even though no train crew operates from this part of the train.

Cars have only been back a couple of days and it seems like they are already  shuffling pairs.

Some cars were equipped with chains before they were transferred. They probably swapped pairs around when prepping them for service.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Car 3888, second car in the consist Queens Bound, 7th car Manhattan bound has chains on the #1 end even though no train crew operates from this part of the train.

Cars have only been back a couple of days and it seems like they are already  shuffling pairs.

Constantly.  The cabs are freely having minor problems all the time so trains get shifted between operating ends and middles all the time to keep the cabs as reliable as possible for as long as possible.  That way you don't lose the whole unit or train consist like on the unitized cars.

2 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

Constantly.  The cabs are freely having minor problems all the time so trains get shifted between operating ends and middles all the time to keep the cabs as reliable as possible for as long as possible.  That way you don't lose the whole unit or train consist like on the unitized cars.

I wasnt aware of that but if thats the case, every car should have their cabs chained off. Its not like people should be walking between the cars anyway.

23 hours ago, happy283 said:

Then why are 3 out today?

Did you read the first few words of my post?   Reading comprehension is key.

Then it bears repeating: 2 R32's get laid up at 111 every night.  They are used the next morning.  If "next morning" is a weekday schedule, they are used on the Z for the rush.  If "next morning" is a Sat. or Sun schedule, they are used in J service and are out there all day.....or unless one of them goes bad. 

As for the 3rd one,  one is R32 laid up in the back of Jamaica Center the night before.  So if "next morning" is a weekday, then they use it as a Z.  If "next morning" is a Sat. or Sun. schedule, then the train stays out all day as a J unless it goes bad.  On weekends, if they get a train from ENYD, they will likely get a new tech, as there is no reason to send out another 56 year old train when they have new techs available in the yard.

Got it?

22 hours ago, happy283 said:

He said that 2 trains were relayed at 111 St one of which was taken out of service due to the chain. Now we have three. Can 111 St even relay 3 trains and why were NTTs relayed after friday to prevent the use of the R32 on the weekend? As far as peak service, if 5/6 (Z) trains will be R32, then which am (J) departures from Jamaica are put ins that could have R32.

I didn't say that!!!!!! 

Why would a train be relayed at 111 when the terminal is Jamaica Center? 

Do you know the difference between a "relay" and a "layup"?

20 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

That's what happens with 56 year old cars.  Things go wrong and often.  And don't ask what happened to 3888 because I don't know, but I do know this, ENYD is not going to play "musical subway cars" without a reason.

1 hour ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

I didn't say that!!!!!! 

Why would a train be relayed at 111 when the terminal is Jamaica Center? 

Do you know the difference between a "relay" and a "layup"?

My bad. Sorry about that. Relay is when a train is preparing to enter the yard like after the short turn (J) trips that terminate at Broadway Jct. They then relay to the middle track and enter the yard. A layup is where a train or trains are stored between runs or once the set is done with service for the day. Now I dont really get why anyone would think I would intentionally disregard parts of a response, in this case one with quite helpful and relevant information. Sometimes it can be an oversight.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

There's at least one set of 32s in (J) service right now, JC bound.

There's 2 of them so far, I'm on one that just left crescent heading downtown, 2nd one should be at Parsons by now. 

Edit there's 3 one passed by me at Alabama ave should be at cypress hills now

Edited by R32 3838

1 hour ago, happy283 said:

My bad. Sorry about that. Relay is when a train is preparing to enter the yard like after the short turn (J) trips that terminate at Broadway Jct. They then relay to the middle track and enter the yard. A layup is where a train or trains are stored between runs or once the set is done with service for the day. Now I dont really get why anyone would think I would intentionally disregard parts of a response, in this case one with quite helpful and relevant information. Sometimes it can be an oversight.

The term "relay" is not used in that context since the train is being laid up to the yard.  That is simply part of the move for the train to be laid up on the track the yard dispatcher wants the train to be stored on. 

"Relay" means a given train is getting ready to make another trip.  So if a J train, for example, comes into Jamaica Center and is making another trip, that is a relay.  Also, when a C train, for example, comes into Euclid or 168 and is going to make another trip, the train has to be relayed beyond the station to set it up for another trip.  A switchman at a terminal (a train operator working at a terminal) may be told at Euclid, 168, 179 "to relay that train" by the terminal dispatcher.

To all:  There were questions posed over the weekend asking how many R32's would be on the J/Z Monday morning.  You may want to know how many for Tuesday, Wednesday, etc.

What will be running for the AM rush is set up by the midnight dispatchers.  They have no idea on how many R32's would be running till they set up their railroad. That goes for the Parsons terminal dispatcher and ENY Yard dispatcher.  In the yard, he has to see how many cars he has available of all models.  The fact of the matter is that there were 7 R32 sets on the J/Z this morning.  Some sent out by ENYD, some were under control of the J line dispatcher who had his laid up at 111 and/or in the back of Jamaica Center.  How many will be on the line Tuesday will be determined sometime after midnight tonight.  The number on Wednesday will be known after midnight Wednesday and so on.

14 minutes ago, Ultimategamer12c said:

Interesting  I thought amazing #4790 and #4791 would be perserved  or something guess not. 

Not because of signage.  The preserved/museum cars are 4572/73.  It wouldn't be right to save more than one pair based on the other SMEES and storage space limitations.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

4 hours ago, Calvin said:

4790-4791 (with special custom A signages), 4796-4797, 4798-4799, 4816-4817, 4806-4807 are at Coney Island Yard. Prep to become work trains. 

All of these will become work trains? I'm guessing they selected the best R42's to do the final run?

39 minutes ago, 1train2255railfan said:

I counted eight sets of R32s out today. At least one set stayed in service after leaving Jamaica Center. 

Yea it's usually 5 (Z) 's and 3 (J) 's as R32's but that number is subject to change daily 

11 hours ago, Calvin said:

4790-4791 (with special custom A signages), 4796-4797, 4798-4799, 4816-4817, 4806-4807 are at Coney Island Yard. Prep to become work trains. 

Why would they use 32's and not 32's, since they have the more durable bodies. The 42's will continue to have the rusting problems.

https://www.ttmg.org/insidersguide/current-rosters/new-york-mta-rail-roster/new-york-mta-subway-roster-yard/?fbclid=IwAR2xPWHNgBX61OnrVbda3CnbwKc_A3Blq9WRrpKxWrY-RSpW8L-rbXU6sv8

A total of 8 8-car R32 trains for the (J)(Z) for this summer. R179s are scattered in every B Division Yard after the problem was found before the 1st phase took place. 

9 minutes ago, Calvin said:

https://www.ttmg.org/insidersguide/current-rosters/new-york-mta-rail-roster/new-york-mta-subway-roster-yard/?fbclid=IwAR2xPWHNgBX61OnrVbda3CnbwKc_A3Blq9WRrpKxWrY-RSpW8L-rbXU6sv8

A total of 8 8-car R32 trains for the (J)(Z) for this summer. R179s are scattered in every B Division Yard after the problem was found before the 1st phase took place. 

is 94 cars or 11 trains. up to 8 are usually out at one time.

25 minutes ago, Eric B said:

Why would they use 32's and not 32's, since they have the more durable bodies. The 42's will continue to have the rusting problems.

More reliable A/C? The R33WF has had rusting problems since the early 2000s and they are still being used in work service today. They even recently added two to R33WF to the museum fleet after being in work service for years.

Perhaps the rusting problems on those cars aren't as bad as we think.