Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

17 hours ago, happy283 said:

Why does 4790 & 4791 still have the custom signs? Its been over 4 months since the final run.

Because the cars were sitting in storage.  Cars not needed.  When trains go to a yard,  for storage or not, signage is not changed till the train is readied for its' next assignment.   Add "if" since we're talking about R42's here. 

If 4790/91 will not longer be used, the cars will eventually go to scrap with the signs as is, particularly with that big A in the front,

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

All of these will become work trains? I'm guessing they selected the best R42's to do the final run?

Hopefully.....work trains could also mean them getting assignments within yards...……..to be horses to pull and push dead cars around.  To be used however which way supervision sees fit.

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

8888-8892, 9018-9022: C.I to Jamaica YD

Those went to Jamaica (E)(F)(R) (via Pitkin (A)) on June 6.  The only R-160s left at Coney Island (N)(Q)(W) after that were 8913-17, 9008-12 and 9023-9102.

If for some reason JYD can't keep its inspection requirements they can send overflow to Coney Island Inspection Facility upon request.

IF that happens they might wind up getting used on Coney Island routes (N)(Q)(W) (until someone finds out and sends them/calls them back home).

Through July 4, 365 various Jamaica-based R-160s (now including two Siemens/Alstom mixes) had been used on (A) since June 6.

FYI, the July 4 R-32 report has 82 at East New York (10 trains max); 16 more were OK at 207 for possible use @ ENY (up to 98 Total).

Stay tuned for coming weeks if the R-32 fleet will rise or fall.

Edited by m2fwannabe
Need Bullet

32 minutes ago, VIP said:

Anyone know why the (Q) has an Alstom set? 9322-9318/8712-8708 currently in service via Brighton, and Broadway Express. 

That's the (R) to 96th Put in, Goes back down as a (Q) to CI then Lays ups and its a PM (R) put in

Edited by R32 3838

4 minutes ago, VIP said:

I didn’t realize they were back to sending (R) trains to 96th. 

I would argue that sending (N)(R) trains up second avenue isnt necessary and is quite pointless. The (Q) provides adequate service and the (N) should focus on serving Ditmars and that (R) trip should either go to Forest Hills or be outright cancelled.

1 hour ago, happy283 said:

I would argue that sending (N)(R) trains up second avenue isnt necessary and is quite pointless. The (Q) provides adequate service and the (N) should focus on serving Ditmars and that (R) trip should either go to Forest Hills or be outright cancelled.

It’s not adequate service when the whole Broadway line basically operates under capacity due to this pattern. If anything, you could send the (N) to 96th Street and have the (R) replace (W) service to Ditmars Blvd. (N) service to 49th Street would be discontinued under this move. Move the (M) to 63rd Street, swap the (C) and (D) north of 59th Street, and make the (C) 8th Avenue express all the way, and add a  new (K) train to fill in the gaps left by the (C), (M), and (R) and that is adequate and more frequent service for all riders (all the lines would operate at 12 trains per hour). At this point, some cars from the (N) could be transferred over to the other lines since the (N) and (R) would now operate shorter routes.

Edited by JeremiahC99

1 hour ago, VIP said:

I didn’t realize they were back to sending (R) trains to 96th. 

He’s referring to the one AM rush hour trip on the (R) to goes from Bay Ridge to 96 St. I think that’s been happening since the (Q) extension opened.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

2 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

He’s referring to the one AM rush hour trip on the (R) to goes from Bay Ridge to 96 St. I think that’s been happening since the (Q) extension opened.

It happened during November 2017 new pick (months after 96 St-2 Av was opened to the public). The change was that the (N) had a 3rd 96 St trip at that time (9:01 AM from Stillwell Av) and was switched to Astoria-Ditmars. That was replaced with the (R) trip to 2nd Av. 

Edited by Calvin

4 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

It’s not adequate service when the whole Broadway line basically operates under capacity due to this pattern. If anything, you could send the (N) to 96th Street and have the (R) replace (W) service to Ditmars Blvd. (N) service to 49th Street would be discontinued under this move. Move the (M) to 63rd Street, swap the (C) and (D) north of 59th Street, and make the (C) 8th Avenue express all the way, and add a  new (K) train to fill in the gaps left by the (C), (M), and (R) and that is adequate and more frequent service for all riders (all the lines would operate at 12 trains per hour). At this point, some cars from the (N) could be transferred over to the other lines since the (N) and (R) would now operate shorter routes.

Or to make it more simple you can just slightly increase (Q) service to replace second avenue (N) service and slighlty decrease (N) service to match current Ditmars frequencies. Also (N) trains should switch to the express track after 57 St instead of after 42 St.

4 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Add 3380/81 to ENY

Good trivia question is where the oldest physical pieces of car equipment are running in the system. When the R42s were in service, it was on those cars: the pantograph gates on a lot of the fleet were from R1/9s, so 80+ years old. Possible some of the work R42s still have it but not the ones I've seen so far. Might be the bulkhead on 3381, that's 59 years old.

There was a rumor that there is or was an R32 with an R16 truck. No idea of what numbered 32s they might have been nor if it's one of the units that got reefed.. 

I heard the museum R10 the one that's operational one of the trucks of from an retired R32.

IDK if those R36s still in work service count but those still have the legit SMEE braking system, the other cars that went through GOH got an more modern variation of that braking system. So my guess would be those R36WF assigned to work service has the oldest mechanical gear.. 

I think the R36s have controllers from retired R30 cars as well.

4 hours ago, happy283 said:

Or to make it more simple you can just slightly increase (Q) service to replace second avenue (N) service and slighlty decrease (N) service to match current Ditmars frequencies. Also (N) trains should switch to the express track after 57 St instead of after 42 St.

The Broadway Line conundrum is more complicated than that, unfortunately. The issue is that the Brooklyn portion of each route (N)(Q) has to match the (B)(D), and match each other (not necessarily the route letters, but the number of trains that come from 4 Av and Brighton, which are further divided into 4 Av Exp/West End and 4 Av Exp/Sea Beach, and Brighton Local vs Express near the DeKalb Av Junction. Roughly the same number of trains run on the Manhattan Trunk Lines (6 Av Express vs Broadway Express). 

your suggestion to run more “(Q)” trains than (N) trains during rush hours is already sort of in practice with the 96 St (N) trains labeled as (Q) trains, reducing the number of (N) trains that cross over from the express to local tracks between 34 St and 42 St from 10TPH to 8TPH during rush hours (6TPH during middays and evenings).

the 49 St skip idea was not possible prior to the pandemic due to ridership levels at that station requiring the (N) to stop there along with the local trains, but maybe it can be revisited now. The 57 St-7 Av switch probably allows trains to cross over faster than the 34 St one, but before it was seldom used because of the 49 St ridership issue and historical use of 57 St-7 Av as a terminal.

Eventually you would need to de-Interline Broadway, but that requires high ridership, a cure for the Coronavirus to allow such ridership increases safely. The de-Interline plan would need:

Two Second Avenue services via Broadway Express and Manhattan Bridge ( (N) and (Q) )

- an Astoria service running at least the combined frequency of the current (N)(W) (probably an expanded (W) )

- flipping the south Terminal of the (R) and (W), slightly reducing the frequency of the (R) and cutting its route to run only north of Whitehall St and extending the (W) to Bay Ridge.

this plan requires many additional train crews because the (W) would need its own fleet of cars (maybe some taken from the proposed shortened (R) train).

* A more detailed version of this plan is further up in this forum.

4 hours ago, happy283 said:

Also (N) trains should switch to the express track after 57 St instead of after 42 St

If this were to happen, deinterlining should be considered (e.g. sending (N)s to 2 Av). (N)(W) currently make all local stops north of 34 simply due to ridership patterns.

I believe we've discussed rerouting the (R) about 10 billion times in this forum...

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

It's also fascinating seeing the slightest differences on the bulkheads. Some have horns and some have 6-screws around the route display (I think 3499 has it). 

The horns go all the way back to delivery! The first 150 cars came with bulkhead horns a la the other SMEE cars, and the rest have them below the car body. Always thought it was interesting they never standardized that during GOH.

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

There was a rumor that there is or was an R32 with an R16 truck. No idea of what numbered 32s they might have been nor if it's one of the units that got reefed.. 

I heard the museum R10 the one that's operational one of the trucks of from an retired R32.

IDK if those R36s still in work service count but those still have the legit SMEE braking system, the other cars that went through GOH got an more modern variation of that braking system. So my guess would be those R36WF assigned to work service has the oldest mechanical gear.. 

I think the R36s have controllers from retired R30 cars as well.

You mean the R33WFs in work service? Word, that's a good point. Would be interesting about the 16 truck.

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Also to note, They're putting social Distancing stickers (Train Crew cab) like on the chain on the cab doors and cab windows of the R32's

Perfect example of all bark no bite. Chains do nothing, stickers do nothing and those footprints in the stations do nothing. How about the MTA actually does something that will actually protect the workers. They should start by blacking out the RFW because then all the selfish and careless railfans would have no reason to enter the restricted area. A curtian or at the very least 2-3 chains per cab would also be sufficient.

Edited by happy283

8 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

The horns go all the way back to delivery! The first 150 cars came with bulkhead horns a la the other SMEE cars, and the rest have them below the car body. Always thought it was interesting they never standardized that during GOH.

You mean the R33WFs in work service? Word, that's a good point. Would be interesting about the 16 truck.

There's some R36s in work service...

There usually stored in Unionport Yard when they aren't in use.