Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I spotted a few 32s overnight Saturday heading to Howard beach. My question is, are there still, and if so how many sets of 42s are still running on Fulton?

theres only 1 R42 on the (A), I heard by the end of this month the R32's WILL return to the (C) so enjoy em while you can

Oh yeah, I did. Silly me. But now I'm sad, I miss the R32/46 summer swap on the (A)(C)... :(

The RFW on the R32 along the IND Rockaway Line and the (A) express is just so fun! Oh well...

as I expected, thats the main reason the railfans like these old relics unless their old guys and like em because thats what they grew up on riding.

I don't know if this was discussed but I heard today Next year will be the last swap, in other words all 32's to the (A)

So next year theyre going to keep the 32s on the (A) and have the (C) get full length 46's?

as I expected, thats the main reason the railfans like these old relics unless their old guys and like em because thats what they grew up on riding.

Yes, that's the primary reason. I also love their stainless steel bodies, signages, interiors, and their less vandalism...Is that a problem?........ <_< <_<

So next year theyre going to keep the 32s on the (A) and have the (C) get full length 46's?

In the summer time, not the winter/fall seasons...That's what he meant....... <_< <_<

like these old relics

I really dread the day the R32s are retired... not because of the cars themselves, but because the forum will be spammed with comments like these. :rolleyes:

As to your inquiry about why railfans like them... I didn't utilize the RFW at all when I rode them on the (A) last month. Probably a bad choice, but that's a topic for another time...

I like them because they managed to out last 4 classes of car built at the same time as, or later than them. Not many cars can boast of such an achievement. They also make a nice change from the VERY common place R160s which have appeared on almost every corridor of the B division. I generally am not a fan of massive fleets of transit vehicles, and 1662 virtually identical cars are no exception.

And no, I don't consider the varying propulsions a plus. In fact, if it wasn't for nycsubway's roster, then there's no way I could distinguish between the Alstom and Siemens cars.

I heard if the swap was to happen next year, they would be putting them on a different line. Then again, thats what I heard (and which I doubt).

I had a feeling they would be doing the swap next year, I can't imagine having the R32's fully underground on a 100 degree day...

I heard if the swap was to happen next year, they would be putting them on a different line. Then again, thats what I heard (and which I doubt).

I had a feeling they would be doing the swap next year, I can't imagine having the R32's fully underground on a 100 degree day...

Why would they go to another line, the (A) is easiest.

Speaking of which, what was the reason for the swaps anyway? As I understand it, the (C) being fully underground, the compressors on the R32s overheated and the A/C shut down.

But, technically, the cars do go outside, when they go to 207th Street yard. Is that not enough time for the compressors? The (A) spends a significantly large portion indoors anyway...

Speaking of which, what was the reason for the swaps anyway? As I understand it, the (C) being fully underground, the compressors on the R32s overheated and the A/C shut down.

But, technically, the cars do go outside, when they go to 207th Street yard. Is that not enough time for the compressors? The (A) spends a significantly large portion indoors anyway...

They only go to 207th Street to lay up for the night, (C) trains relay just north of the 168th Street station.

The trains would be running all day underground on the (C), the (A) has long layovers at the Queens terminals so that helps.

Lights and air comfort are supposed to be shut down when layed up at a yard. But most of the (C) trains get layed up at the underground yard after 168 and at Euclid.

I don't know if this was discussed but I heard today Next year will be the last swap, in other words all 32's to the (A)

you gotta be kidding me, they mind as well keep it the way it is, all they gotta do is bring back some stored cars that are in storage 12 R42's Mainly, and some R32's that do garbage work

as for the R32's going to another line, (you never know) i doubt it would happen, what they should just do is send 144 R32's or less to the (J) since its 90% of the line is outside for 144 or less R160A-1's and throw em on the (C) or have the (C) use CI's R68A's while the 144 R32's are on the (B) and 6 car (G)'s (not 100%) more like 3 sets) and there you go