Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

7 hours ago, happy283 said:

Perfect example of all bark no bite. Chains do nothing, stickers do nothing and those footprints in the stations do nothing. How about the MTA actually does something that will actually protect the workers. They should start by blacking out the RFW because then all the selfish and careless railfans would have no reason to enter the restricted area. A curtian or at the very least 2-3 chains per cab would also be sufficient.

can't black out the window, NYPD would throw a fit. Plus it would be a safety hazard.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, happy283 said:

How exactly? Its not like the T/O needs it to see since its not in the cab.

yeah but the police have to look out the windows in between cars if they're looking for a suspect. for the last few days everything has been running smoothly with no issues.

1 hour ago, happy283 said:

How exactly? Its not like the T/O needs it to see since its not in the cab.

He talking about when that car is not longer an end car and it is now in the middle of the train.  A black painted window makes it impossible to see into the next car and immediately outside it.  Definitely a safety/security hazard.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Whoever asked if the R160's were going to show up on the Rockaway Park (S)huttle, one R160A did today.

5 or 10 cars? How many R160s total are at Pitkin as loans, it feels like there have been less out lately.

1 minute ago, happy283 said:

5 or 10 cars? How many R160s total are at Pitkin as loans, it feels like there have been less out lately.

There’s plenty. But there’s 130 cars of R160’s not all of them run at the same time, they’re still using R46’s religiously on the (A) me and a few crews question why these units don’t Run on the (C) as well since it’s full length at the moment anyway. 

22 minutes ago, happy283 said:

The photo in the last post in the Random Thoughts thread shows 10 cars in the train.

16 minutes ago, VIP said:

There’s plenty. But there’s 130 cars of R160’s not all of them run at the same time, they’re still using R46’s religiously on the (A) me and a few crews question why these units don’t Run on the (C) as well since it’s full length at the moment anyway. 

Those R160s really should run on the (C), whose crews should certainly be familiar with them, given that R160s have run on the (C) in the past (even while the (A) was all R46s and 32s).

31 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

The photo in the last post in the Random Thoughts thread shows 10 cars in the train.

Those R160s really should run on the (C), whose crews should certainly be familiar with them, given that R160s have run on the (C) in the past (even while the (A) was all R46s and 32s).

The (C) doesn’t need them because they are using the R46’s. The R160s that run on the (A) are for the (A) only.

1 hour ago, VIP said:

There’s plenty. But there’s 130 cars of R160’s not all of them run at the same time, they’re still using R46’s religiously on the (A).

In Mid June there were 210 cars of R160s on the (A). I wonder why there are less now when service demand hasnt changed.

59 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

If I had to guess maybe several R46’s were out of service being fixed up. 

Many 46’s were in the Barn. That could be why.

16 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The (C) doesn’t need them because they are using the R46’s. The R160s that run on the (A) are for the (A) only.

I know they’re for the (A) “only” but the thought of “using Whatever is available” shouldn’t be reduced to just (A) line service. That was the idea crews and myself were trying to get across. 

3 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

If I had to guess maybe several R46’s were out of service being fixed up. 

But why not keep the extra R160s as spares? Its not like their needed at Jamaica because the (F) is reduced.

2 hours ago, VIP said:

Many 46’s were in the Barn. That could be why.

I know they’re for the (A) “only” but the thought of “using Whatever is available” shouldn’t be reduced to just (A) line service. That was the idea crews and myself were trying to get across. 

I dont get why the R46s are frequently shuffled between the (A) and the (C) but the R160s, which are the same length are exclusively for the (A).

57 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I assume they don't run 10 car 160s on the (C) the same reason (1) trains don't stop at 145th on the (3) and (2) trains didn't stop at South Ferry loop when it got sent there during G.O's... The crews might get confused since the (C) only used 8 car NTT over the years.

When it comes to length, a 10 car R160 is the same length as an 8 car R46 meaning the stopping location on the platform is the same. I dont see how crews would just forget the length of the train they are operating.

5 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I assume they don't run 10 car 160s on the (C) the same reason (1) trains don't stop at 145th on the (3) and (2) trains didn't stop at South Ferry loop when it got sent there during G.O's... The crews might get confused since the (C) only used 8 car NTT over the years.

Prior to the mishaps with the R179 fleet the (C) used mixed length fleet of cars. It ran  8 car R46’s (600 feet stop at the 10 car marker) and 8 car R179’s (480 feet stop at the 8 car marker) 

12 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Prior to the mishaps with the R179 fleet the (C) used mixed length fleet of cars. It ran  8 car R46’s (600 feet stop at the 10 car marker) and 8 car R179’s (480 feet stop at the 8 car marker) 

Yeah, I know. But the R46 and NTT are noticeably different and 8 car 160s ran on the (C) very recently and suddenly putting 10 car 160s on the line might cause confusion... like T/O's stopping at the wrong car marker and C/R opening up with cars in the back of the train still in the tunnel.

NYCT train crews are very smart but it's been implied on here and elsewhere by T/O's that managment treats train crews like idiots. I don't think their would be an issue with 10 car 160s running on the (C) but perhaps NYCT managment thinks otherwise.

when they put R46's on the (C) back in 2017 some T/O's were stopping at the 8 car marker. This became a problem and they ended up taking the R46's off the (C) with a Note saying NO R46 EQUIPMENT on the (C) until they put them back on the (C) just to get rid of the R32's. This is why I'm not a fan of mixed length (C) trains, Plus it costs more to put an R46 on the (C) because now you have to have two crew at each terminal. With an R160/179 or R32 you don't need two crew to turn the train around.

On 7/3/2020 at 12:08 PM, Bill from Maspeth said:

Brand new conductors forgot the difference between the R32/42.  Realize many new conductors did not grow up railfans or even rode the subway.  They have the jitters. Maybe they broke in on the J line when there were only R160's and R42's, now R32's are on the scene.  I was a able to adjust to that stuff because I grew up riding the system, but to others the subway was a completely new experience.  Many just knew "old train", "new train" on the J/Z.  So when the R32's first arrived on the J/Z several years ago, they would automatically go to the 3x5 position on the R32's and now there was a problem since they were supposed to operate 4x4 on an R32 since the #1 cab also had c/r controls.  So management caved in to the not so informed and said to the c/r's to treat R32 door operating position like an R42.  They came out with a bulletin and put appropriate stickers on the c/r boards at every station on the J/Z line.

On 7/3/2020 at 12:40 PM, MHV9218 said:

Very interesting. I had a sneaking suspicion this was the reason but didn't want to jump to the assumption. Sort of a depressing thought not to have that level of familiarity with the equipment – buffs aside, you'd think that generally, most people can familiarize themselves with new equipment at their workplace, even out of the transit world.

I gotta agree with MHV here; if people are only doing it "for the pension" and can't be bothered to learn reasonably important mechanical distinctions between car classes, then hey, maybe this is not the right line of work for them.  An emergency could happen and then what?  Either that or (MTA) management should do better training.

Not saying that TA employees should all be buffs/nutjobs, just saying there should be a reasonable middle ground, is all.

Edited by R10 2952
perspective

On 7/11/2020 at 10:11 PM, NewFlyer 230 said:
On 7/11/2020 at 9:33 PM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

If anyone hasn't noticed, the (C) has been 100% R-46 since July 3.  AT LAST!!!!  Hooray!!!!:D

Evidently those pair of wandering R-160A-1s from ENY went home after the day on July 2 for the Holiday Weekend.

An R32 is in (J) service right now signed up as the (Z) .

Prior to this 32 (J) train pulling in an NIS 160 passed through the station heading to layup, apparently they sent the NTT to layup and kept the old SMEE in service..

Just got off an LIRR M9, go downstairs and catch an R32 (J) train😁😊

30 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

An R32 is in (J) service right now signed up as the (Z) .

Prior to this 32 (J) train pulling in an NIS 160 passed through the station heading to layup, apparently they sent the NTT to layup and kept the old SMEE in service..

Just got off an LIRR M9, go downstairs and catch an R32 (J) train😁😊

R160 might need to be serviced, I saw one yesterday with a bad compressor. this past weekend they ran alot of R32's

It's still on a modified Schedule so that's probably why the (C) is still 100% R46's

4 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

If anyone hasn't noticed, the (C) has been 100% R-46 since July 3.  AT LAST!!!!  Hooray!!!!:D

Evidently those pair of wandering R-160A-1s from ENY went home after the day on July 2 for the Holiday Weekend.

Edited by R32 3838

7 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

when they put R46's on the (C) back in 2017 some T/O's were stopping at the 8 car marker. This became a problem and they ended up taking the R46's off the (C) with a Note saying NO R46 EQUIPMENT on the (C) until they put them back on the (C) just to get rid of the R32's. This is why I'm not a fan of mixed length (C) trains, Plus it costs more to put an R46 on the (C) because now you have to have two crew at each terminal. With an R160/179 or R32 you don't need two crew to turn the train around.

That could have been because technically the R46s are 8 cars even though the train is 600ft as opposed to 480ft. With the R160s the trains would be 10 cars so the amount of confusion could be less not to mention for the time being the (A)(C) is 100% full length.