Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

ENY yard must be running out of space cause... one 32 (Z) is laid up between Crescent and  cypress and two are layed up at 111th.

Trains are always laid up at 111th street at night and or on the weekends. Seeing a train laid up between Crescent and Cypress is new to me. I’ve always see that part empty. I think they also have trains laid up within the tunnels between Bowery and Chambers street as well. 

8 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Trains are always laid up at 111th street at night and or on the weekends. Seeing a train laid up between Crescent and Cypress is new to me. I’ve always see that part empty. I think they also have trains laid up within the tunnels between Bowery and Chambers street as well. 

I know, but this is the first time I seen trains layed at 111th middle midday during the week.

14 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

There was two R68A's on the (Q) back to back around 5PM. Hope 68/68A continue to have an presence on the (Q) .... From *personal observation* prior to today I haven't seen 68s on the (Q) ever since the (B) came back, only 46s and 160s...

There are about 5-6 sets of R68/As that rotate the Broadway line usually 1 is assigned to the (Q) while the rest run on the (N)(W) but that can change at any moment. Maybe there are more R46s and R160s on the (N)(W) currently.

8 hours ago, happy283 said:

There are about 5-6 sets of R68/As that rotate the Broadway line usually 1 is assigned to the (Q) while the rest run on the (N)(W) but that can change at any moment. Maybe there are more R46s and R160s on the (N)(W) currently.

The only R68/A that rotates on the (Q) runs in the PM rush which is a changeover from a (B) train that ends at Brighton Beach and is extended out of service (rarely In service to Stillwell Av). The (Q) is essentially all R46s, while the (N)(W) is just a grab-bag.

~60% R46

~40% R68/A + R160B

Ditmars Blvd and Coney Island try to keep as many R68/A and R160Bs in service all day and opt to TRY and take the R46s out between rush hours (as the 86 St trains that drop out in the morning and the trains that go to the yard after arriving at Coney Island in the PM).

- 8:33AM (W) 

- 8:37AM (N)

- 9:08AM (N)

- 9:17AM (W)

- 8:26PM (W)

above are all departures from Ditmars Blvd.

Before the swap; they used to TRY to do this with the R68/As and keep as many R160s in service as possible.

An earlier post I believe asked as to why the (Q) doesn’t use the R68/As. It was I believe because of the rollsign issues on those cars not displaying 96 St-2 Av on all the cars, even though that operation would mean no Manual rollsign changes like they have to do at Ditmars (least the dispatcher sends out a mislabeled train with only the front letter correct and all the other signs erroneous.) 

22 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

The only R68/A that rotates on the (Q) runs in the PM rush which is a changeover from a (B) train that ends at Brighton Beach and is extended out of service (rarely In service to Stillwell Av). The (Q) is essentially all R46s, while the (N)(W) is just a grab-bag.

The R160s are pretty random on the Brighton line. There was just 2 Siemens trains on the line back to back, probably a leftover from Astoria use. 

Edited by Calvin

Me and a few others may bring it up to car equipment as to keeping R68/A’s on the (Q) primarily along with R46/R160’s because Ditmars is struggling with sign changing and intervals being kept on time. The R46 is better suited for the Astoria line than the Brighton line.  The Real reason the R46’s didn’t/don’t end up on the (B) is because Concourse yard doesn’t have the means to maintain that type of equipment. 

13 minutes ago, VIP said:

Me and a few others may bring it up to car equipment as to keeping R68/A’s on the (Q) primarily along with R46/R160’s because Ditmars is struggling with sign changing and intervals being kept on time. The R46 is better suited for the Astoria line than the Brighton line.  The Real reason the R46’s didn’t/don’t end up on the (B) is because Concourse yard doesn’t have the means to maintain that type of equipment. 

I sometimes wonder how the R68/As are still on Astoria line. There are select units that have that have the 96 St reading. It could easier for Astoria line to be R46/160B Siemens to avoid the problem. The past reason for the (Q) that's all R160 is b.c of constant terminal changes when the (W) was out for 6 months (back to when the Q was to Astoria-Ditmars). 

Edited by Calvin

5 hours ago, Calvin said:

R160B Alstom set 9853-9857 w/ 9883-9887 seem to be the placeholder at Coney Island Yard in exchange of 8913-8917 w/ 9088-9092 (Siemens)  to Jamaica Yard

Seems like some kind of business exchange between CI yard and Jamaica yard

45 minutes ago, vioreen said:

Seems like some kind of business exchange between CI yard and Jamaica yard

It might be the CBTC installation in the 9000 series siemens units, since the modified CBTC installation contract now states that ALL R160 cars are to be equipped, rather than the originally proposed 1486 cars. In that case, Jamaica will send over some Alstom or 88XX Siemens Units as placeholders while the Siemens units are being worked on. AGAIN, just speculation, and I have NO idea.

Edited by darkstar8983

8 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

It might be the CBTC installation in the 9000 series siemens units, since the modified CBTC installation contract now states that ALL R160 cars are to be equipped, rather than the originally proposed 1486 cars. In that case, Jamaica will send over some Alstom or 88XX Siemens Units as placeholders while the Siemens units are being worked on. AGAIN, just speculation, and I have NO idea.

Those that are in CI yard as placeholders can operate on the (Q) line

11 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Nah, CBTC installation for all the R160's hasn't started yet.