Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can any TA workers here provide a list of the things that are being done in the R32 SMS?

-Thanks!

Did some asking around about the R32 SMS and I have been told that just about everything will be worked on. A/Cs, trucks, door operators, compressors, interior work, and group switch work. The big rumor was that the old R62 groups would go under the R32s. This is the best info I have right now untill I can ask some one at CIY, but I was told that I should pray for the cars since CIY is doing the work.

Did some asking around about the R32 SMS and I have been told that just about everything will be worked on. A/Cs, trucks, door operators, compressors, interior work, and group switch work. The big rumor was that the old R62 groups would go under the R32s. This is the best info I have right now untill I can ask some one at CIY, but I was told that I should pray for the cars since CIY is doing the work.

What does that mean r62 groups would go under the 32?

It would be nice if you gave me credit for the picture

gladly, I couldn't remember who's it was, I was waiting for whoever took it to tell me who it was.

whoever took this photo (someone with a Cannon 60D and a 10-22mm lens, if its yours ill add your name)

It was a great photo. If you want the photomanip taken down, I will do that for you as well

Wait wait wait. That photo of the R32 SMS Is fake. It was basically photoshop by someone else. Because NYtransit posted that same exact photo with the regular R32 interior. So basically it you guys been fooled by someone stupid. Whoever fix that photo didn't fool me:mad:

it wasnt made to fool anyone, I was bored this afternoon so I wanted to see what a 32 interior would look like, came across the first 32 interior shot i could find becasue i never took one, couldnt remember who it was, even said whoever this photo was let me know so I could credit them. I didnt expect this thing to be as controversial as it has become on both here and the facebook group.

to NYtransit, I appologize for using your photo, I couldnt remember who took it so I couldnt ask in advanced. Now that I know if you look on the original post, I have given you credit.

Wait wait wait. That photo of the R32 SMS Is fake. It was basically photoshop by someone else. Because NYtransit posted that same exact photo with the regular R32 interior. So basically it you guys been fooled by someone stupid. Whoever fix that photo didn't fool me:mad:

Ever heard of a mockup or artist rendering?

As for the mockup, looks good. I personally don't mind the current interior, but if they are staying around a few more years, why not 'spruce' them up a bit?

Now if they had those low hanging bars by the doors that the R38s had, it'd be perfect. I don't like how there's nothing to hold on to when standing by the doors on the R32s other than reaching onto the metal divider on the seat. I mean the person sitting there probably isn't going to like their space being violated by someon's hand. I know I wouldn't like it either.

What does that mean r62 groups would go under the 32?

Maybe R62s will get the same treatment as the R32s? Just my guess on it.

Thanks to the magic of Photoshop and NYTransit who took the photo, I present to you, the preview of the SMS R32 interior:

Nice photo to the creators... But i rather wait and see. Too much rumors going up and down, which is driving me nuts.

I dont see a purpose of a MAJOR overhaul for the R32s (regardless of paint scheme) if its going to be in service till 2016-2017. (Last set in 2017 likely, unless they keep pushing its service dates).

Only mechanical features is whats needed for overhaul. Everything else I don't see a purpose.

gladly, I couldn't remember who's it was, I was waiting for whoever took it to tell me who it was.

It was a great photo. If you want the photomanip taken down, I will do that for you as well

You did a good Job Im not gonna Lie, its just one looser on Facebook that went all crazy and started making threats but besides from that great Job

Nice photo to the creators... But i rather wait and see. Too much rumors going up and down, which is driving me nuts.

I dont see a purpose of a MAJOR overhaul for the R32s (regardless of paint scheme) if its going to be in service till 2016-2017. (Last set in 2017 likely, unless they keep pushing its service dates).

Only mechanical features is whats needed for overhaul. Everything else I don't see a purpose.

Yeah I sorta agree on you on that but even after they retire from passenger service they will still be used as Work Motors to replace the Redbirds in the B division 10 R32's at CI- 38th st yard already replaced those Redbird work motors, some of the R62A singles will also join for work service to bump off the remaining Redbirds in the A division in the near future but as for the R32 SMS they have no choice you keeping these cars for 6 plus years you gonna have to give them some type of update, Im not gonna lie they should have done this in 2006 when they redid the trucks, but if (MTA) is spending millions of dollars on this SMS project they mind as well do the interiors and TRUST ME they need an interior make over Half of the interiors look Horrible 3806/07 is number 1 for worst interior and remember the (MTA) has yet awarded the R179 contract and its December so basically the R32 SMS project is a back up plan, Lets hope they make their up their minds because time is running out and they have to come up with something, the longer the R179's take to order the longer these cars will stay and from the looks of it The (MTA) is playing games with this New order

BTW Word On the STREET Im not certain But the R42's might and I said MIGHT receive the same treatment but Thats a Wait and see because those cars are falling apart