Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

Yeah I agree after doing the math it all adds up, that's some seriously impressive scouting out on car assignments on the part of VIP through observations. I wish I have the time to really tally the trains assigned to ENY currently. +1.

*Career changes from one field into another, such as from IT to the healthcare field, from level 3 tech to RN, shit's not easy to say the least....)

Edited by realizm

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know why the R32s on the Eastern Division are stopping at the 5-3 R42 C/R position? It seems ridiculous considering that the R32s have door controls in the A cabs.  Why can't they just stop at the R160 boards?

Edited by R10 1989

Does anyone know why the R32s on the Eastern Division are stopping at the 5-3 R42 C/R position? It seems ridiculous considering that the R32s have door controls in the A cabs. Why can't they just stop at the R160 boards?

the cab window doesnt line up right with the R160 C/R board and the newest reason is to alleviate confusion since that line has 3 different fleets running at the same time. They put it in perspective as NTT use R160 boards SMEE use R42/32 boards

just passed by another R32 transfer from 207th at gates AV, 3380/1,3444/3777 were in the consist along with 4 more cars

theres more?! It seems like the (J) will be 80% R32 and by now the (J) riders are used to them as more roll in.

the cab window doesnt line up right with the R160 C/R board and the newest reason is to alleviate confusion since that line has 3 different fleets running at the same time. They put it in perspective as NTT use R160 boards SMEE use R42/32 boards

Figured it must be some rationale like that.

Probably won't run on the (M), then, because that would be confusion (where it would need to be 4/4 on the IND portion).

Probably won't run on the (M), then, because that would be confusion (where it would need to be 4/4 on the IND portion).

You mean confusion in the sense of problems with two 4 car sets on the IND part of the run?

And another general question for anyone here: Can the signs on the R32's adequately indicate the terminating stops? I know that the 71st Street signage is there on the R32 loll signs but the other terminal?

*Wait a minute, yeah, no orange (M) bullet and nothing to indicate the (M) via the 6th Ave trunk line now that I think about it ...... guess I answered my own question....

Edited by realizm

Confusion in if 32's should be 8/3 because they're SMEE's like the 42's, then what would you do on the (M), which runs on the IND, where the signs are set up only for 4/4?

•32's are 8/3 for the (J) and 4/4 for them? (Different rules for different lines)

(M) is 8/3 on BMT, and the C'r moves to 4/4 on the IND? (Again, I don't see them doing something like this; adds some complication)

•Change IND to 8/3? (Tried this on 8th Ave. for 42's on the (C); was a disaster with crudely marked signs)

they sent 3586/7 back to 207th, I saw it on the C not too long ago

the brakes were horrible on that pair, mustve been why ENY sent it back. And the pair 3445-3468 always seems to be lead motors, is that pair one of the best performing?

theres more?! It seems like the (J) will be 80% R32 and by now the (J) riders are used to them as more roll in.

That is why I say , don't be surprised if after september the car assingments stay the same as they are now with the (C)(J) and (Z)

Yet both the R32 and R160 are 60-foot cars. How could the cab window possibly not match up with the board?

When the doors open on the left, the C/R would be in the 4th car, whereas on the 160s, the C/R would be in the 5th car.

...he/she would be off by like 5 feet tops, not that much of a difference anyway

The MTA DID have enough money to completely replace the R42s, as well as 32s since that was the plan from the get go. Had the order been 1700 like it was originally planned, maybe the last of those R42s kept after the R44s retirement could have been retired since not as many spares would have been needed. Thus leaving just 222 R32s.

The R160 order was never planned to be 1700 cars specifically. There was a base order of 660 cars, an option order of 620 cars, and a second option order of between 380 and 420 cars, to provide some flexibility.

If the whole point of the swap is to place the R32's on a line that runs mostly outdoors, why would they go on the M at all? The M is mostly underground.

@Fresh Pond

Yeah. I'm not bothered with it since the BMT Eastern Division is 8-car 60 foot only. I'd be bothered if that 5-6 car C/R position via an 8-car R32 or R42 was on the mainline IND/BMT B Division, stopping all the way at the 10 or S car marker and I have to dash from the extreme rear of platform (Broadway Junction or Franklin Avenue N/B on the (C) etc etc).

Speaking of that, I think the (C) should stop at the 8-car marker in both directions at Clinton-Washington Avenues instead of the front where the S car marker is located.

Edited by RollOverMyHead