Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

If the whole point of the swap is to place the R32's on a line that runs mostly outdoors, why would they go on the M at all? The M is mostly underground.

People thought with the number of 32's coming over (a total swap mentioned sometimes, even) that some might wind up on the (M) sometimes.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People thought with the number of 32's coming over (a total swap mentioned sometimes, even) that some might wind up on the (M) sometimes.

Anybody who suggests moving R32's from the C to the M is forgetting the purpose of moving R32's off the C in the first place.

What about the "lost" A1s at 207th Street? They can't stay there indefinitely.

exactly, thats why by 2017 they should go back to ENY. Its cost effective to keep the R32's at ENY for obvious reasons. As far as complaints, who's going to complain when theres still gonna be R160's on the (J)/(Z) lines and riders used to R42's that look like crap inside and out.

Guest Lance

That's my point though. If the 32s stay at East New York, the 160A1s will have to stay at 207th. That's not ideal in the long term as all that yard can basically do is watch them. Any real work that needs to be done has to be done at ENY. Keeping the trains where they are right now isn't all that necessary either.

exactly, thats why by 2017 they should go back to ENY. Its cost effective to keep the R32's at ENY for obvious reasons. As far as complaints, who's going to complain when theres still gonna be R160's on the (J)/(Z) lines and riders used to R42's that look like crap inside and out.

The 160s are soulless.

I'll be very surprised if the trains do not revert back after the end of summer. ENY providing cars for the C and 207 providing cars for the J is not ideal unless there is a good reason to do so. 

More than likely the Car assingments for the (C)(J) and (Z) will stay as they are now after september, as long as they keep a few R160s on the (J) then there won't be any issues. (J) and (Z) Riders have already gotten used to now seeing both R32s and R42s and they  were already used to riding the R42s all of the time , and (C) riders are getting used to the R160s there is no way that the (MTA) will now be able to just take the R160s off of the (C) . All that 207 needs to do is just watch the R160s and if there is any work that needs to be done than the set can go to ENY yard to get its work done. Its better for the R32s as well because they will mostly be outside and not underground all the time.

They will not base the C out of East NY unless they really have to. The R160s will all head back to the J at the end of the summer. 

Who says that it will base off eny ? , it will still base off 207 and all they have to do is just watch the R160s and if they need meintanance than the R160 that needs it can get sent to eny for it's work to be done then can get sent back 207st

Edited by R62AR33

Sent back to 207th? I cannot agree with your post. Might as well leave it at ENY and sent the 32s back to 207th. If 207th is just "watching" the 160s then what will be the point of them being there during the non-summers? If they need regular maintenance and ENY is the only place to properly maintain them, why should they go back to 207th afterwards just to be "watched"?

It's not like they're doing (C) riders a favor, nor most of us rail buffs. Yeah, you are actually right. The assignments don't have to go back to normal after the summer if the (MTA) feels its fine. Same how the 160s don't have to go back to 207th if they cannot maintain them but just "watch" them for the sake of whatever reason. That said, I completely agree with Lance and Art Vandelay.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Point being the R32 has more character. Yes, it's a train, but simple things like bullet colors being correct is not too much to ask.

Yes, but at the end of the day, Most passengers don't care about which train has more character. As long as their train shows up, that's what matters.

Yes, but at the end of the day, Most passengers don't care about which train has more character. As long as their train shows up, that's what matters.

Agreed, but for inexperienced out-of-towners or non-frequent subway riders who are residents, this can be impactful.

I doubt they even care... a train is a train except to foamers.

I meant it might be confusing to people who could get on the wrong train because the bullet is the first thing they see and they are all red. It doesn't,take a lot of effort to make this right.

I doubt they even care... a train is a train except to foamers.

One can easily think some trains have more character than others... I doubt you would be saying the same shit to someone who is a fan of cars, and says, for example, that the New Beetle has more character than any other product in Volkswagen’s line up...!