Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

Explain how that will work with OPTO?

...or with 150 foot trains (Franklin) and 300 foot trains (Rockaway).

Actually the MTA was planning to lengthen the (C) train to 10 cars. In the state of the MTA address by Elliot G. Sander it says "In Brooklyn , congestion pricing will create three new bus routes and increase the frequency of service on four routes. (F) trains will run more frequently, and the (C) train will be extended to a 10-car train from an 8-car train. Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

There were some targeted service increases that would have gone along with congestion pricing, but the C was going to be lengthened in any case, first as part of the R160 program (it would have gotten either R44's or R46's, which can't add up to 480 feet) and later as part of the R179 program (in its original 290+50+80 configuration). When the R179 order was trimmed to an order of 300 cars with no options, the decision was made to keep the short C's.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I actually did remember that both Far Rock Depot and CDTA said to me months back in this thread that when the R46s were sent down to operate the (H), they had C/R regardless of the four-car shuttle. Not that I'm saying that the R32s should operate 24/7 on the IND and BMT (S) shuttles respectively without OPTO if their lives were extended even longer as said.

Well I actually did remember that both Far Rock Depot and CDTA said to me months back in this thread that when the R46s were sent down to operate the (H), they had C/R regardless of the four-car shuttle.Nope, they were OPTO.
the first fwe days of 46s on the H did have c/r's. trust me on that. I was on that train everyday making my rounds to see friends and family before I moved upstate. I don't know about after december 21st, but they had c/r's. as soon as I find the pics, ill prove it. Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk

Any word if R32 M trains are happening?

They probably won't ever appear on that line as the orange (M) rollsign doesn't exist in the older fleets. Whenever it needs an extra train, it is just going to borrow an R160 off the (J) and the (J)/(Z) will continue to use the R32s.

They probably won't ever appear on that line as the orange (M) rollsign doesn't exist in the older fleets. Whenever it needs an extra train, it is just going to borrow an R160 off the (J) and the (J)/(Z) will continue to use the R32s.

That was what I thought, but recently we've seen several situations where a routing that doesn't exist on the rollsigns being indicated by papers taped in the windows. (1) 242 to rector comes to mind. 

There was discussion of it needing to happen because of the number of R160's being swapped or SMS'd. Someone even mentioned that the M conductors got line cards at one point. As in, they'd have to make their own announcements. 

There are plenty of reasons NOT to run the R32's on the M, but the lack of an orange rollsign seems like the least of them. (air conditioning seems like the largest of them.)

That was what I thought, but recently we've seen several situations where a routing that doesn't exist on the rollsigns being indicated by papers taped in the windows. (1) 242 to rector comes to mind. 

There was discussion of it needing to happen because of the number of R160's being swapped or SMS'd. Someone even mentioned that the M conductors got line cards at one point. As in, they'd have to make their own announcements. 

There are plenty of reasons NOT to run the R32's on the M, but the lack of an orange rollsign seems like the least of them. (air conditioning seems like the largest of them.)

Main issue is the route itself. The (M) is mostly underground (Forest Hills to Essex Street) so putting R32's on the (M) would be like leaving the R32's to the (C) Besides, the R32's aren't good for OPTO during the weekend (M) Shuttle.

The R32's are doing well on the (J) and the R160's are becoming very popular for Fulton St riders. Too bad their new "hand me down" cars will be taken away from them by mid september.

earlier they sent a 4 car set of R160A-1's to pitkin yard, 855x was one of the cars

3767/3650 is back at ENY i think they continuously swap fleets back and fourth accordingly.

The R32's are doing well on the (J) and the R160's are becoming very popular for Fulton St riders. Too bad their new "hand me down" cars will be taken away from them by mid september.

3767/3650 is back at ENY i think they continuously swap fleets back and fourth accordingly.

Yes I've noticed. At rush hour the frequency of the appearances of R160's on the (C) is becoming clearly apparent along with many R32's. Meanwhile the (A) seems to be strictly R46 consists. Quite a change from last year, with this year's R160 SMS being the change in line assignments from what I am currently seeing.

Why not just send some R42s to the (M) if ever needed  if they don't want to use the R32s cause of A/C then send a few R42s im sure the (J) has enough R32s to run if an R42s isn't being ran for what ever  reason .

Edited by R62AR33

R42s can't run on the (M) because they would have to stop all the way at the 10-car marker at all (M) stations between Forest Hills and Broadway-Lafayette...

EDIT: They're bad at OPTO like the R32s too...

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Ya'll gotta quit trying to suggest R32 and R42 equipment running on the (M) line. Its not gonna happen, it wont happen, worst case scenario an R143 can pop up on the (M)

R32's could possibly show up on the M in an emergency situation, but I certainly agree that they won't run there on a regular basis.

The "One hundred and fourty-fifth Street" sounds like the person from the E.

Good grief that announcement is long.. That and "One hundred seventy-fourth and one hundred seventy-fifth Streets"

I remember back when R143's ran on the (M) on a pretty regular basis......

Wasnt that only a Saturday and Sunday thing?

I can't see the whole summer going by without at least one R32, R42, or R143 on the (M) as a one-time thing. I've heard stories of R32's and R160's from Stillwell make their way onto (B) and (D) service before. Used to see an R46 on the (E) once in a blue moon too.

Wasnt that only a Saturday and Sunday thing?

Yep.

This was back in the days before the (M) reroute via the Chrystie Street Cut to the IND, and was serving as a BMT Nassau St/4th Ave Lcl via tunnel to Bay Parkway via the West End Line. ( notably the ( M ) )

The weekend/late night Myrtle Ave line shuttles were R143 consists.

Guest Lance

The "One hundred and fourty-fifth Street" sounds like the person from the E.

It is. That's why I said "primary voice". We get into all the nuances for various stations and transfers and we'll be here all day.

Yep.

This was back in the days before the (M) reroute via the Chrystie Street Cut to the IND, and was serving as a BMT Nassau St/4th Ave Lcl via tunnel to Bay Parkway via the West End Line. ( notably the ( M ) )

The weekend/late night Myrtle Ave line shuttles were R143 consists.

It didn't have to do with the old routing; it was simply the time before the 160's arrived. Once they did, then the 143's were gone for good. (and the old routing would continue for a few more years).

I remember back when R143's ran on the (M) on a pretty regular basis......

Are the R160's on the (C) popular enough that the whole train doesn't jump ship anymore whenever an (A) and (C) connect at 14 St?

Well, yes they are. Every time a R160 on the (C) comes, people jump on board, even the (A) Riders. But when an R32 comes in, people wait for the next one. This is from my personal experience.