Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

However, you must be downright stupid to not prefer an NTT or a 75 footer over a 60ft SMEE generation train. There is simply no reason as to why a person wouldn't prefer to see an NTT.

So basically you are calling a good portion of railfanners stupid. Jesus H. Christ.

I am a nostalgic guy - I am much happier riding a vintage unit than something built very recently, therefore I would have no reason to prefer to see an NTT. I hate a lot of things and a lot of things annoy me (among them being R160s) but that does not give my opinion more weight than anyone elses. If only people could clue in onto this fact and then leave us the fcuk alone.

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mind what car class comes as long as it is going to the destination I want. But, I do like getting an R32 or R42 or other cars over NTTs because the NTTs will be around for a while while the others won't.

Same her but I do wait for a certain thing when I'm railfanning

Would it be downright stupid of me (or any other people in this thread) if I or they personally prefer an R62 over an R142 on the IRT A Division or an R32 over an R160 on the IND/BMT B Division (which is also a railfan thing too)?

I'm not sure what you mean or referring to though, but most average customers basically care about getting from point A to point B. Take this for example, after Sandy hit, the R62s operated on the Brooklyn portion of the (4) route until its entire line to the other end was restored. No one on the Livonia Avenue/Eastern Parkway lines complained about the (3) equipment being on their line. Some riders even said the trains brought back good memories growing up riding them over the trains with no A/C back in the 70s and 80s era.

People may prefer new things, but what are they going to do? Last I checked, (J) riders aren't badmouthing about the R32s being on their line nor would they pass it up for an R160 like MHV and Far Rock said.

And even if certain riders would prefer an SMEE over an NTT, how would make them downright stupid? Whenever I'm on the A Division, I ride the (1), (3) and (7) more often than the other numbered lines simply because I like the SMEE. Everyone has their own opinion and personal taste. On the B Division, I often ride the (C) and (J) with their old fleet and I prefer them over the new cars but never would that make me be downright stupid.

Actually riders for the (J) and (Z) have gotten used to seeing the R32s on the line mainly due to the fact that they run R42s and the R32s have actually gotten popular on the (J) and (Z) as of late.

Edited by R62AR33

So basically you are calling a good portion of railfanners stupid. Jesus H. Christ.

I am a nostalgic guy - I am much happier riding a vintage unit than something built very recently, therefore I would have no reason to prefer to see an NTT. I hate a lot of things and a lot of things annoy me (among them being R160s) but that does not give my opinion more weight than anyone elses. If only people could clue in onto this fact and then leave us the fcuk alone.

Thumbs up for this post

Coming from someone hailing from an agency where we retired (officially) 44 year old cars yesterday, I can see where the nostalgia fanatics are coming from. Also coming from an agency who have spent $1.2 Billion on our NTT cars, I can see why foamers are ecstatic and upset about them.

I get excited whenever I come to NY to see your collection of cars. Honestly, my rule applies that 'as long as the darn things work, I'm thankful...' I won't knock on the foamers of the old school because honestly we'll all miss them when they're gone, scrapped, or reefed. And the NTT's aren't going away anytime soon. 

Let's all agree that, at least, the darn trains work, regardless of the train line, and at least we're still alive to see them work hard (or hardly working).

Admittedly (I said this before) even as a straphanger i will have to personally say that many strap-hangers are incredibly rude and have no etiquette whatsoever where it comes to other passengers or MTA transit workers. I got stories about how ridiculous some passengers can get. One time (nothing new) on a train I boarded the T/O had to dispatch the C/R to call in the NYPD because of a man who threatened to shoot me and then pulled out a knife. Of course in a subconcious jerk reaction, I chased him through cars ready to beat him to the floor senseless in response. then he tells the passengers in the next train that I'm the one harrassing him. Scumbag.

The T/O witnessed this in it's entirety and was thankfully on my side explaining this to the undercover police officers. That man was arrested, the T/O said "be safe man" and the train was on it's way, albeit excessively delayed because of this fool that threatened me. This happened on the (N) .

The reason this happened was because this same man threatened to fight me and stalked me in a different boro, in Jamaica Queens. So he recognized me on the CI bound train on the BMT 4th Ave and started making physical threats against me again, as I was simply reading my physics book and notes studying for a midterm.

Smdh I know i'm late but i'm glad you're ok man.

I kinda hope 207th Street and/or Pitkin Avenue will soon later get set up to maintain/inspect the R160s, considering that the R32s are most likely not to run on the (A) ever again due to the aforementioned reasons stated by Snowblock and TrainDude respectively. Also, so they don't have to shuttle trains back and fourth between 207th Street/Pitkin Avenue and Jamaica or East New York.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

the R32s are back on the (C) all 18 sets

The R160 SMS is not done yet. Besides, 207 Street yard has a lot of sets of R32's in their property besides the ones used in service. I'm guessing there were barely any R160's used on the (C) Today. Don't get ahead of yourself unless you searched the entire route and looked the the (J)(Z) Lines as well.

There were about 7 sets on the (J) in service today , i highly doubt there are no more R32s left on the (J)

I counted 7 R32s out on the (J) today and i saw another 5 in the yard it would have been impossible to send them all in just 1 or 2 hrs . I was on the (J) from 9am-3pm today

The swap is ending already?!

No its not ending yet. Someone just jumped to a conclusion due to a light amount of R160's running on the (C) today. People saw a quite handful of R32's on the (J) today. Besides, like me and many others said before, not all the R32's are used on the (C) so there were more available to use at 207 Street yard. The R160 SMS hasn't been completed yet and summer hasn't ended yet so the R32's are still at ENY Yard.

The R160 SMS is not done yet. Besides, 207 Street yard has a lot of sets of R32's in their property besides the ones used in service. I'm guessing there were barely any R160's used on the (C) Today. Don't get ahead of yourself unless you searched the entire route and looked the the (J)(Z) Lines as well.

yo where in my post did I say that the R32s were off the (J)/(Z)??

No its not ending yet. Someone just jumped to a conclusion due to a light amount of R160's running on the (C) today. People saw a quite handful of R32's on the (J) today. Besides, like me and many others said before, not all the R32's are used on the (C) so there were more available to use at 207 Street yard. The R160 SMS hasn't been completed yet and summer hasn't ended yet so the R32's are still at ENY Yard.

yo you mad bro?!?! Lol

the R32s are back on the (C) all 18 sets

Remember Not all Conducters and Motorman get the same trains all the time on the (C) the R32s and R160s get switched around constantly each day. i saw 4-6 R160s on the (C) at fulton st today at around 3:30 , don't come to conclusions on all the R32s being back on the (C) just cause you barely saw any R160s it all depends what time you took the (C)

Edited by R62AR33