Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the NYC track map book

the remaining R42s will get retired when the R32s are done getting SMSed at coney island. I'm not sure if this is accurate or not.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Dear lord...the R32s been done with their last rehab back in March...and the R42s are still running regardless...

Its was a plan to wipe out the remaining R42s with R32s, right now there's a rumor that in October That they want to can em but I doubt it, right now they need all the equipment they have but the R42s look horrible, they can do some light work to them to keep em going until the first R179s are here, but the R42s are on borrowed time

Edited by R32 3838

Its was a plan to wipe out the remaining R42s with R32s, right now there's a rumor that in October That they want to can em but I doubt it, right now they need all the equipment they have but the R42s look horrible, they can do some light work to them to keep em going until the first R179s are here, but the R42s are on borrowed time

At this point the (MTA) need anything running right now they cannot afford to retire those R42s until the R179s come in. Remember those R42s are as well saving the ta from having a car shortage not just the R32s they really need to at give give those remaining R42s some work.

Edited by R62AR33

Not saying I'm totally right, but let me clarify some stuff:

1.) 3352-3353 are NOT in service... Phase-2 R32s have since been retired and disposed of, with the exception of 3350-3353, which are preserved and on-property.

2.) The mothballed R32s were actually stripped on the outside since 2011-2012, so scrapping those units makes sense. As for R32s 3720-3721, I have no knowledge on them except that they are OOS at Coney, so a reactivation of those 2 cars is possible. The mothballed R42s were also marked "NOT OK FOR SERVICE" according to a reliable source, just in case those cars were actually crumbling down too. I also do agree that the mothballed units have encountered serious floods from Irene and Sandy, so that could be a factor too. So saving the OOS R32s would have been impossible anyway, although those R42s could have been saved (10 mothballed R42s remain as of now, so those COULD be very slight possibilities).

3720-3721 are being scrapped http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/42312-more-r32s-getting-scrapped/

• 2 weeks later...

There's still a total of 7-8 sets, it was obvious that they weren't going back, Sunday night 5 sets were running all day and I would say 3 ran overnight, so they'll probably have em until the 2nd or 3rd week of September

One set with 4 car spares will stay since the R160s are still undergoing SMS

Well I think the R160s should stay on the (C). I mean if they needed temporary trains for the (C) , why didn't they use R46s like las summer. That way when the (C) went back to 32s no one would complain. But if you're gonna put something like an R160 , A new tech on the (C) then put the 32s back , people might feel a certain type of way & the (MTA) might have another version of what happened to the (E) on their hands. But the (C) might as well keep the 160s & the (J) keep the 32s until the 179s come. This is just my opinon.

Well I think the R160s should stay on the (C). I mean if they needed temp. trains for the (C) , why didn't they use R46s like last summer. That way when the (C) went back to 32s no one would complain. But if you're gonna put something like an R160 , A new tech on the (C) then put the 32s back , people might feel a certain type of way & the (MTA) might have another version of what happened to the (E) on their hands. But the (C) might as well keep the 160s & the (J) keep the 32s until the 179s come. This is just my opinon.

Edited by E For Erica

Well I think the R160s should stay on the (C). I mean if they needed temp. trains for the (C) , why didn't they use R46s like last summer. That way when the (C) went back to 32s no one would complain. But if you're gonna put something like an R160 , A new tech on the (C) then put the 32s back , people might feel a certain type of way & the (MTA) might have another version of what happened to the (E) on their hands. But the (C) might as well keep the 160s & the (J) keep the 32s until the 179s come. This is just my opinon.

Pitkin and 207 wouldn't be able to service the 160's, they'd have to go back and forth to ENY for maintenance, and if people wanna complain let them, It's not like the trains are their property and Fulton riders will be getting new techs soon anyways so there is no point of complaining.  

The swap isn't gonna be over until the end of the month like last year

didnt people say the swap was gonna last longer than september?

Pitkin and 207 wouldn't be able to service the 160's, they'd have to go back and forth to ENY for maintenance, and if people wanna complain let them, It's not like the trains are their property and Fulton riders will be getting new techs soon anyways so there is no point of complaining.

Fulton riders really didnt give a shit if the R160s were on the (C) they were smart enough to know that they were either temporary or "hand-me-downs" from the (J) its obvious for the passed three years if the (C) was running a fleet other than an R32 then it meant that its summer time

Sigh, why should the MTA care about whether or not its riders like the R32s replacing the R160s or not? They don't pay a premium fare, last I checked, so they can jolly well shut up and ride like sensible people.

Thing is, if these guys really get pissed about it, then they get the local politicians involved, and that's the last thing they need right now. It's been a good year for the TA so far... (course I agree with what you said 100% but some folks don't get that)

Personally I think they should keep the swap the way it is, the (J) folks and (C) folks alike aren't bitching about it. Saves them from having to do a swap every summer too. Might as well equip 207/Pitkin for the NTTs since they should be there soon anyway.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life