Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

I only heard a rumor they might keep it this way until next labor day, but the only issue is that 207th was instructed not to touch the R160s unless its an emergency or cleaning, the R32s ENY can maintain with no problem since its a SMEE, they also have some R32 parts on hand (from the dead R32s that were from fresh pond)

IMO the R32s do better on the J than on the C, but I doubt that all year rumor is true, if the R32s stay on the J past September then this rumor would be true, honestly I think when the new pick goes in to effect they send 6 sets back and keep 1-2 sets in place of the R160s that are at CI getting SMS'ed, but we should wait and see

@VIP that was only a rumor, everyone thought after labor day things would be back to normal, even people who are supervisors of each line said labor day, but the way things are going they seem to want to wait longer since both lines are doing good with both equipment

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thing is, if these guys really get pissed about it, then they get the local politicians involved, and that's the last thing they need right now. It's been a good year for the TA so far... (course I agree with what you said 100% but some folks don't get that)

If the MTA listened to every complaint from some inane politician "representing the voice of their constituents" nothing, from the major construction projects like Second Avenue or rehab projects like the station rebuilds such as the ones on the Culver Viaduct, would never get done because said projects would affect people in the area.

As to why the 160s are still on the C, are they finished with the upgrades on the CBTC-capable trains?

Thing is, if these guys really get pissed about it, then they get the local politicians involved, and that's the last thing they need right now. It's been a good year for the TA so far... (course I agree with what you said 100% but some folks don't get that)

Lance has made a good point, but I would like to add something.

"Thing is, if these guys really get pissed about it" - first of all, if someone gets really angry over an old piece of rolling stock they probably have much bigger issues in their life than a 49 year old train shuttling them to and from work every day. It is the exact same idea as a foamer who gets too excited over something nice. Hate the cars if you want, IDGAF, but if you get really angry a mental help professional is probably who you should see.

"then they get the local politicians involved, and that's the last thing they need right now." - What the hell are they doing to do, pass a law that states that you can't send the R32s back to the (C)?

Everyone is talking about (C) riders, but what about the (J)(Z) riders, who had their R160s taken away and replaced with R32s? If they are complaining, they too need to suck it up.

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

"Thing is, if these guys really get pissed about it" - first of all, if someone gets really angry over an old piece of rolling stock they probably have much bigger issues in their life than a 49 year old train shuttling them to and from work every day. It is the exact same idea as a foamer who gets too excited over something nice. Hate the cars if you want, IDGAF, but if you get really angry a mental help professional is probably who you should see.

"then they get the local politicians involved, and that's the last thing they need right now." - What the hell are they doing to do, pass a law that states that you can't send the R32s back to the (C)?

Everyone is talking about (C) riders, but what about the (J)(Z) riders, who had their R160s taken away and replaced with R32s? If they are complaining, they too need to suck it up.

Most of the  (J) riders didn't complain at all. They could care less what they have running on their line just as long as the train can take them to their destination. Only the (C) riders will complain once the R160's leave the (C).

Edited by Kingsbridgeviewer382

No one is complaining...they're used to old crap so its nothing really

Most of the  (J) riders didn't complain at all. They could care less what they have running on their line just as long as the train can take them to their destination. Only the (C) riders will complain once the R160's leave the (C).

Exactly. The (C) is constantly called the "worst line" in the city by media and locals alike, all because of the 32s. The 42s on the (J) are in much worse condition than the 32s and no one complains about them! Hell the hipsters probably love having the nostalgia of the 32s and 42s out there, don't they run an old ass school bus out to Riis Park in the summer?

Exactly. The (C) is constantly called the "worst line" in the city by media and locals alike, all because of the 32s. The 42s on the (J) are in much worse condition than the 32s and no one complains about them! Hell the hipsters probably love having the nostalgia of the 32s and 42s out there, don't they run an old ass school bus out to Riis Park in the summer?

It's not really just the R32s though. 8 Avenue and Fulton Street local stop riders also complain about 10-12 minute waits and at times crowding without a chance of getting a seat. I mean the (C) is crowded during rush hours where both Central Park West and Fulton Street residents head off to the central business districts in the city. Do note that 10 or 12 minute waits is considered the worst by the Straphangers Campagin and also considered as "poor frequencies" or "not-so-good headways". Some or most times its crowded during the peak too if riders are heading to Barclays Center or the Museum of Natural History or Central Park itself. So again, just pointing out that its not just the R32s that make the (C) rank poor.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Well I think the R160s should stay on the (C). I mean if they needed temp. trains for the (C) , why didn't they use R46s like last summer. That way when the (C) went back to 32s no one would complain. But if you're gonna put something like an R160 , A new tech on the (C) then put the 32s back , people might feel a certain type of way & the (MTA) might have another version of what happened to the (E) on their hands. But the (C) might as well keep the 160s & the (J) keep the 32s until the 179s come. This is just my opinon.

See what you started?  :P

They should just put these R32s on the B

right, but then we'll have Brighton riders bitching about the cars.

No one is complaining...they're used to old crap so its nothing really

Agreed. (C) train riders are used to the R32's cuz quite frankly these cars NEVER left the (C) this summer. So losing the R160's will barely be noticed... Until a month or two later.

didnt people say the swap was gonna last longer than september?

Fulton riders really didnt give a shit if the R160s were on the (C) they were smart enough to know that they were either temporary or "hand-me-downs" from the (J) its obvious for the passed three years if the (C) was running a fleet other than an R32 then it meant that its summer time

I'm not talking about the fulton riders. I'm talking about the 8 ave riders. Some of the same riders that take the (E) as well & complained about the R32s. I was just saying they might start bitching up a storm ..

They should just put these R32s on the B

Dispatchers at C.I. wouldn't want to have a R32 in service. Back when the (B) ran a R32, the dispatchers rarely took it out and when they actually did, they either made it do one run or run in a small section. Basically saying, it ain't going to happen.

I'm not talking about the fulton riders. I'm talking about the 8 ave riders. Some of the same riders that take the (E) as well & complained about the R32s. I was just saying they might start bitching up a storm ..

The (E) riders from Queens were the ones responsible for taking the R32's off the (E) just because the (J) had R160's first. The 8th Ave riders could care less since they still have the (E) with R160's out there.

Dispatchers at C.I. wouldn't want to have a R32 in service. Back when the (B) ran a R32, the dispatchers rarely took it out and when they actually did, they either made it do one run or run in a small section. Basically saying, it ain't going to happen.

The (E) riders from Queens were the ones responsible for taking the R32's off the (E) just because the (J) had R160's first. The 8th Ave riders could care less since they still have the (E) with R160's out there.

I wouldn't say that, it may happen again and it ran all day numerous times when it was there

The ta can do whatever they want to make service, the (C) & (J) swap makes sense and if the ta really wants to they could prepare 207th and pitkin yard for NTTs now instead of waiting until the R179s come in

And I didn't say the (B) has to be 100% R32, it would have made sense to put them on the (B) but since the R179s are mostly 8 car trains the (C) has no choice but to ether be 8 car R32s or 8 car R160s, only in the summer until the R179s come in it can be full length if they swapped for R46s and R68s

The B couldn't possibly be 100 percent 32s. There aren't enough trains for that. If the 32s were to hit the B, the hippos would have to go on the C and I don't think Transit wants the 68(A)s spread out amongst three yards when they're doing just fine at Coney and Concourse.

They should just keep the R-32s on the (J) / (Z) and put all the R-42s on the (A).  Four 10-car trains that can be used as rush hour put-ins with 10 spares for rotation, or alternatively, five ten-car trains.  On a side note, it would probably be in the MTA's best interest to SMS the R-42s. 

Edited by R10 1989

They should just keep the R-32s on the (J) / (Z) and put all the R-42s on the (A).  Four 10-car trains that can be used as rush hour put-ins with 10 spares for rotation, or alternatively, five ten-car trains.  On a side note, it would probably be in the MTA's best interest to SMS the R-42s. 

The issue is that the (A) Dispatcher does't want R32s or R42s and the R42s still have to stay on the (J) and (Z) to fill any voids .Wether ENY Yard likes it or not they have to keep the R42s until the R179s come in , and I agree the R42s should get a small sms because right now they are running on borrowed time.