Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well today marks the 49th anniversary of when the R32s first went into revenue service. By this point the cars have outlasted most if not all of the Lo-Vs, a majority of the BMT Standards, and some of the Hi-Vs. The picture below shows the cars in regular service on that very date.

img_93068.jpg

Edited by DJ MC

too bad if the UES riders don't want the old trains back, they can take taxis or buses to the west side if they don't like it.

Regardless of what anyone says here, the overwhelming majority of riders simply don't care - it's a passing curiosity at best.

Do you think West Siders traveling between Franklin and 135th let the 3 go to wait for the 2 so that they can get newer cars? Of course not - they take whichever comes first.

By the way, can someone find any concrete proof the 160s were originally slated for Pitkin?

I don't believe they were.

Then we mus ask ourselves why the 30 day test on the (A) took place initially ? This isn't a rumor here or wild speculation, this is an educated guess based on past patterns where it comes to new cars and acceptance testing. Recall the R142's were originally revenue service tested on the (2) and it was a stunning success. So it is we still see R142's on the (2) today assigned to 239/180th street yards. My point is that if the 30 day tests were indeed successful then the R160's would have indeed been assigned to Pitkin Yard after all. Of course, let me state for the record again so everyone is on the same page here that the early retirement of the R44's along with the circumstances regarding the Rockaways as I initially mentioned before changed everything.

I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of the 30-day test. The purpose is for NYCT to verify that the train can operate for 30 consecutive days, in revenue service, without any serious malfunctions. If it can't, the manufacturer is on the hook to make whatever fixes are necessary, and then the 30-day clock starts again.

The purpose is not for NYCT to try to figure out where the cars should run.

Ok.. But that was my point, the mta isn't making decisions because the ridership demanded things thru political means. That's why i never believed that argument at all. Of course any rational person picks whatever takes them to point b first (at least if over a short distance and where the lines still run together, a person is not likely taking a 3 if they were going to the bronx).

I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of the 30-day test. The purpose is for NYCT to verify that the train can operate for 30 consecutive days, in revenue service, without any serious malfunctions. If it can't, the manufacturer is on the hook to make whatever fixes are necessary, and then the 30-day clock starts again.

Which I have already acknowledged with another member in this same discussion. No point in gravedigging a post preceeding the last post made in a discussion where with my case in my latest response to Lance I have indeed acknowledged that case with the 30 day tests, (which he highlighted before you logged in) notwithstanding the fact that the R160's had to be tested throughout the entirety of the B division. Apparently you omitted that part of my comment too.

Hell, if that had been the case we might have avoided the minor A line fiasco with the 160s out in Queens.

Hell, if that had been the case we might have avoided the minor A line fiasco with the 160s out in Queens.

Which goes back to the qualification tests. The (A) was tested on the IND 8th Ave/Fulton/Far Rock lines and it failed because of voltage problems(as you were alluding to). The inspectors caught that and removed the R160 in testing from the (A) . If that wasn't the case then today's current situation with car assignments could been different, notwithstanding the fact that yes, the in revenue tests started on the (N) as planned as way back as 2006.

I would imagine that during testing, new rolling stock has to be tested on various lines before the 30 day revenue service tests begins. This has been the practice since the the 70's from what I have read over the couple of years I was following this starting with the R142's.

Don't question it.

FYI: He asked a legitimate question and Snowblock answered it, which is what everyone is wondering myself included. There is some wrangling going on between Jamaica, ENY, Coney Island etc etc not to mention Pitkin over the NTT's that went successfully through SMS or is slated for one. This was one of the topics going on for weeks and Snowblock was not the only transit worker in RTO to confirm this.

Edited by realizm

FYI: He asked a legitimate question and Snowblock answered it, which is what everyone is wondering myself included. There is some wrangling going on between Jamaica, ENY, Coney Island etc etc not to mention Pitkin over the NTT's that went successfully through SMS or is slated for one. This was one of the topics going on for weeks and Snowblock was not the only transit worker in RTO to confirm this.

I believe the "don't question it" was made in a friendly gesture, ie, don't question a good thing sort of manner. No need for the in your face reply here.