Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

I kinda knew that would happen

Iv been saying this since august lol , i said don't be shocked if the car assignments stay how they are in late september , and look how everything is , everyone just enjoy the swaps still being here and lets not worry about why the R32s aren't all back on the (C).

Edited by R62AR33

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't the (C) be suspended anyways from a Plan 4?

nah they usually don't suspend the (C) during Plan 4 UNLESS the weather is severe. But I'm saying Plan 4 is going to be interesting because if they still have R160s on the (C) they will store the unused ones on the 8th Avenue/CPW Express (Which has barely happened). But from what I've heard (Not to sound foamy) that the R32s handle the snow better than R160s correct me if wrong.

How is that different from the 160s being laid up on Queens Boulevard or 4th Avenue?

@Around the Horn: Check out this link for details on the Cold Weather Plans.

http://stationreporter.net/weather_plans.htm

it will be different for the (C) Because during Snowstorms they usually don't lay up the R32s from the (C) into snow layups but with the R160s staying on the (C) , there will be a lot of (C) layups because of the R160s

Dang that's crazy, So who assigns the trains to barns/ yards? And if Pitkin ends up keeping them will they be able to properly maintain them?

The R160s will have to be shifted around to ENY to get maintained , then they will go back to (C) , unless the (MTA) prep it to be able to manintain NTTs now same with 207st yard which is smarter considering that they will have to do it in the next 2 yrs when the R179s start coming in, if they plan on keep the R160s on the (C) and the R32s on the (J) and (Z)

Edited by R62AR33

The R160s will have to be shifted around to ENY to get maintained , then they will go back to (C) , unless the (MTA) prep it to be able to manintain NTTs now same with 207st yard which is smarter considering that they will have to do it in the next 2 yrs when the R179s start coming in, if they plan on keep the R160s on the (C) and the R32s on the (J) and (Z)

But if your scenario was correct why would ENY want to send the 160's back to Pitkin after their maintenance? 

But if your scenario was correct why would ENY want to send the 160's back to Pitkin after their maintenance? 

Cause those R160s are assigned to Pitkin , all they will do is maintain them , and send them back afterward to the (C) , since pitkin or 207 aren't equipped to maintain NTTs right now

Edited by R62AR33

Cause those R160s are assigned to Pitkin , all they will do is maintain them , and send them back afterward to the (C) , since pitkin or 207 aren't equipped to maintain NTTs right now

No I know Pitkin isn't equipped to service NTTs I'm asking why would ENY SMS the trains and then give them back to Pitkin when they were originally assigned to ENY considering Snowblocks postof the animosity between the two yards, and who assigns the trains to their respective yards?

^^^ It's the Coney Island Yard Complex that is performing SMS on the R160As. 207th yard can also generally perform SMS on rolling stock as it is also a major overhaul shop, the only other one with that sort of capability in the system, but that overhaul shop is limited to dealing with maintainance and major repair of the SMEE's and space age tech 75 footers ( 75 footer being the R46).

Edited by realizm

^^^ It's the Coney Island Yard Complex that is performing SMS on the R160As. 207th yard can also generally perform SMS on rolling stock as it is also a major overhaul shop, the only other one with that sort of capability in the system, but that overhaul shop is limited to dealing with maintainance and major repair of the SMEE's and space age tech 75 footers ( 75 footer being the R46).

Yeah thanks for the correction I meant performing maintenance to the HVACS 207th & Pitkin as far as I know please correct me if i'm wrong can't do anything with the HVACS, I'm just curious to know if it's a struggle for ENY to get their trains back from Pitkin why would they send them (r160A-1s) back and keep the much older r32's?

Yeah thanks for the correction I meant performing maintenance to the HVACS 207th & Pitkin as far as I know please correct me if i'm wrong can't do anything with the HVACS, I'm just curious to know if it's a struggle for ENY to get their trains back from Pitkin why would they send them (r160A-1s) back and keep the much older r32's?

Now on that one I am not sure, a transit worker may be able to better answer that question for us. I'm unsure as to who or what committee within the MTA structure ultimately supervises the yard superintendents with regards to rolling stock and yard assignments in the midst of the infighting. It could be the MTA Capital Program Oversight Committee that oversees the yard superintendents and the rolling stock they will receive accordingly to their requests.

I explained already that since pitkin or 207st can't maintain R160s , ENY  has to maintain them for the (C) because that's where those R160s came from in the first place . Until reassinged back to the (J) and (Z) and that is IF the (MTA) decides to have the car assingmnets to how they originally where then , ENY has to maintain them and send them back (C) , and the R32s will stay on the (J) and (Z) until said otherwise . As of now most of the R32s are assinged to the (J) and (Z) and the R160s to the (C) , its not a matter of preference , its a matter of wher the cars are assingned to , and weather ENY likes it or not they have to stick with the R32s for now. Hopefully this answers your question lol 

Edited by R62AR33

I explained already that since pitkin or 207st can't maintain R160s , ENY  has to maintain them for the (C) because that's where those R160s came from in the first place . Until reassinged back to the (J) and (Z) and that is IF the (MTA) decides to have the car assingmnets to how they originally where then , ENY has to maintain them and send them back (C) , and the R32s will stay on the (J) and (Z) until said otherwise . As of now most of the R32s are assinged to the (J) and (Z) and the R160s to the (C) , its not a matter of preference , its a matter of wher the cars are assingned to , and weather ENY likes it or not they have to stick with the R32s for now. Hopefully this answers your question lol 

No offense but neither one of us work in or have been in Pitkin/ 207th yards and neither one of us work for the  (MTA), I'm gonna take Realizms advice and wait for a NYCTA employee to confirm this...

Pit kin can't maintain the HVAC units, everything else they have experience with since that was the yard that assembled the 3rd rail shoes and etc. But they need that crane that lifts the HVAC units, that's the only issue that's the roadblock for them but they'll be updated because they'll be the ones getting the R179's besides ENY