Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

12 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

It was a re-positioning move from Pitkin to Lefferts Blvd and back to Pitkin to move them to a different track within the yard. As always, Pitkin's roof (the apartment building's basement) leaks and they are trying to keep them clean and dry while stored (but ready). All handbrakes are applied until then and they wait for whatever.

BTW, the second MK R-42 consist was 4789/88-4795/94-4820/21-4797/96. All are still formally assigned to East NY, where there were three still in service on Monday (January 28).

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated. Finally puts an end to that nonsense of them running in passenger service on the (A).

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Richard Lewis said:

Yup In Since 1990s To 2000s Dimond <C> Goes to To Bronx IND Concourse Line on The (D).

Correct technically until 1998, when at that point, the terminal of the (C) was swapped with the (B). The (C)  terminates at 168st and (B) usually at 145 or Concourse during Rush hours. The (D) always went to Concourse and won't be replaced anytime soon. There won't be any change to that until the (MTA) comes out with an announcement in a release.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

17 hours ago, Richard Lewis said:

Oh. I Saw A R179 (A) Train On Testing Train. Should R32 Replaced by R179 Or Not?

17 hours ago, Richard Lewis said:

I'm Gonna Miss You R32..I Love R32

It would be nice if you stopped spamming threads with pointless posts.......if you're gonna post in a thread, make it relatable to the discussion.

Edited by Cait Sith

Surprisedly there was not one but two 32 sets on the (A) line today! One on the Far Rock branch and the other on the Lefferts branch. Didn't expect that since muitple sets of 46s pretty much don't run on the (C) anymore so the (A) should be able to make service on weekends without using the 32s. 

I'm not by any means complaining, I love the 32 (A) trains just surprised to see muiltiple sets in service on the (A) these days. (A) & (C) assignments have been crazy lately, never know weather the train will be an 32, 46 or 179 😀 Def the most exciting Subway lines in the system right now.

I saw a whole bunch of 32s on the (C) today - I ended up riding a R160 down from 125 St, and boy, I can't wait for the 179s to begin service on the (A). That express is quite a nice ride on a NTT (the particular 160 I was on had an almost perfect ride, with nearly no bumps!), even with the timers after 86 St. I also saw those 179s out on the (C), and was able to catch a video of one of the sets flying into 42 St (Not sure what the first four cars were but the last four were 3186-3189). All I can say is that the 32s are a great fit on the express, and so it's a treat to see the occasional set on the (A), and this weekend's service change meant that many express R32s were to be had. The (A) and (C) are truly the best for variety right now!

You could pretty much say that about every line 15 years ago. You could walk into subway station and expect anything from R32 to NTT. Now you have to go to specific lines to see certain car types. For example, The (N) used to have a nice mix of R32s R40 Slants R42s and R68s. Now it's just a bunch of tech and maybe a 68. Today, if you want to see a 42, go the (J). If you want to see a 32 (A) and (C). Miss the days where most subway lines had more than one car type with "A CHANCE". Today lines with some variety are very uncommon. The (N) has way more R160s than R68s. Or the (1) has only one R62, or the (J) has one R143, or the (A) will have one PM R68 or the (Q) will have one AM R46 or the (L) using 2 R160s. (Not dissing NTTs but they are not that different from each other) That's mad whack. The only line that's 50/50 is the (4) which is half R142 half R142A. Subway was way more cooler in the 80s, 90s, and early to mid 2000s.

1 hour ago, Q23 via 108 said:

You could pretty much say that about every line 15 years ago. You could walk into subway station and expect anything from R32 to NTT. Now you have to go to specific lines to see certain car types. For example, The (N) used to have a nice mix of R32s R40 Slants R42s and R68s. Now it's just a bunch of tech and maybe a 68. Today, if you want to see a 42, go the (J). If you want to see a 32 (A) and (C). Miss the days where most subway lines had more than one car type with "A CHANCE". Today lines with some variety are very uncommon. The (N) has way more R160s than R68s. Or the (1) has only one R62, or the (J) has one R143, or the (A) will have one PM R68 or the (Q) will have one AM R46 or the (L) using 2 R160s. (Not dissing NTTs but they are not that different from each other) That's mad whack. The only line that's 50/50 is the (4) which is half R142 half R142A. Subway was way more cooler in the 80s, 90s, and early to mid 2000s.

Late 2000s was fun as well with the R40s & R42 being sent to Jamaica yard and Pikin/207th before being retired. R42 E/F & R trains were quite cool to see. Also I think at one point the A was operating every car class from R32 to R44, there was far more 44s than everything else but still fun.

The (L) shutdown possibly could have made things exciting again, oh well.

6 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Late 2000s was fun as well with the R40s & R42 being sent to Jamaica yard and Pikin/207th before being retired. R42 E/F & R trains were quite cool to see. Also I think at one point the A was operating every car class from R32 to R44, there was far more 44s than everything else but still fun.

Hope so. I grew up in Corona, so a lot of times, I would go transfer at 74 Street to QBL. And man the Late 2000s on Queens Bl was lit. R32s, R40M/R42, R46, and R160 on the E F G R V. My favorites were The R46 R and V and the R32 E Train. Those E operators used to haul a$$ into Continental Av. As far as the A I thought it used everything from R32 to R46. But the 44s were the all time best train for the. The A was a champion with the 38s and 44s. 

37 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

There is two things that factor a line's variety. The Yard and Line it self. For example. The (D) only uses R68s because of Concourse Yard. Or Jamaica Yard only carries two car types R46s and R160s. Compare that to East New York, 207 St, or Pitkin where they've got R32s, R42s, R46s, R143,R160s, and R179s. Lots of diversity. Another factor is the line. The (2) and (5) use the R142s. But these trains are perfect for the (2) and (5) since they can easily change service for either line very quickly. Thats why White Plains Road didn't get R62As. CBTC is another factor. Once the Queens Blvd becomes equipped, the 46s gotta go somewhere else. The (7) and (L) also cannot use older trains because of CBTC so this is why the trains now are "consistant" fleet wise. The future could be interesting with CBTC. I would love to see the R46s from the (F) and (R) go to the (N) Train, and the R160s from the (N) to the (F) and (R). Its totally possible, look at the swap of the (6) and (7) Trains. 

Edited by Q23 via 108

So tired of seeing the same 8th Avenue and Nassau St Stations because it's the only lines we with good equipment. You go on Instagram and other media outlets and only see (A) (C) (J) and (Z) train action at the same spot (Williamsburg Bridge, Marcy Av, Chambers St, Broadway Junction, Rockaway Blvd, 168 St, Euclid Av and any other 8 Av line station). Meanwhile you have a whole subway system that no one fans outside of the 8th Ave line, Nassau, and Flushing. No one goes and ventures out to West End (D), or Crosstown(G), or Canarsie(L), or IRT Brooklyn(3)/ Nostrand Av(2)(5), Jerome(4), Dyre(5), WPR(2)(5), and more. Now granted. Some of these places are dangerous, and may not be that interesting. But the general consensus is that the lines to fan are the same 5 mentioned above (including (7)). And I know you all are tired of the same (7) entering Queens Boro Plaza Station picture.

4 hours ago, Q23 via 108 said:

So tired of seeing the same 8th Avenue and Nassau St Stations because it's the only lines we see with good equipment. You go on Instagram and other media outlets and only see (A) (C) (J) and (Z) train action at the same spot (Williamsburg Bridge, Marcy Av, Chambers St, Broadway Junction, Rockaway Blvd, 168 St, Euclid Av and any other 8 Av line station). Meanwhile you have a whole subway system that no one fans outside of the 8th Ave line, Nassau, and Flushing. No one goes and ventures out to West End (D), or Crosstown (G), or Canarsie (L), or IRT Brooklyn (3)/ Nostrand Av (2)(5), Jerome (4), Dyre (5), WPR (2)(5), and more. Now granted. Some of these places are dangerous, and may not be that interesting. But the general consensus is that the lines to fan are the same 5 mentioned above (including (7)). And I know you all are tired of the same (7) entering Queens Boro Plaza Station picture.

If you want a change of scenery, check out the "Planned Service Changes" page on the MTA website for unusual reroutes and other situations that require trains to take uncommon detours. The R32s would do trips to Rockaway Park–Beach 116th Street along the (S)–RP portion of the Rockaway Line and to Middle Village–Metropolitan Avenue along the Myrtle Avenue (M) Line. When the (4) Line is divided into two parts, the R62A's from the (6) Line are used for (4) service and have travelled up the Jerome Avenue Line to Woodlawn. The R62s used on the (3) Line have made it up the (2)/(5) White Plains Road Line to East 180th Street at times when there was some complication along the Lexington Avenue Line. What I'm saying is that you have to be vigilant in finding these hidden gems, because they are out there.

The problem with looking for 'variety' is that often times, it's much simpler and cheaper for a yard to maintain only one or two sets of car equipment. If you start throwing in a little bit of everything, you're going to increase the number of parts that need to be stored, and the number of personnel trained to operate and maintain the cars. Would it be nice to see anything operating anywhere? Sure it would, but there's a reason that's not something you see.

As for your desired change of scenery, be the change you want to see in the world.

4 hours ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

If you want a change of scenery, check out the "Planned Service Changes" page on the MTA website for unusual reroutes and other situations that require trains to take uncommon detours. The R32s would do trips to Rockaway Park–Beach 116th Street along the (S)–RP portion of the Rockaway Line and to Middle Village–Metropolitan Avenue along the Myrtle Avenue (M) Line. When the (4) Line is divided into two parts, the R62A's from the (6) Line are used for (4) service and have travelled up the Jerome Avenue Line to Woodlawn. The R62s used on the (3) Line have made it up the (2)/(5) White Plains Road Line to East 180th Street at times when there was some complication along the Lexington Avenue Line. What I'm saying is that you have to be vigilant in finding these hidden gems, because they are out there.

I definitely am aware of Weekend GOHs. Like the one where the :20x20_px_02: will run from Flatbush Avenue to 96 Street using an R62A. But I would have to be on some DjHammers type stuff to find these rare occurrences. Yeah on weekend GOH you can kinda already tell what equipment or rerouting will occur. But I can't know when :20x20_px_02: and (3) Trains will be backed up. So then they'll send :20x20_px_01: trains to New Lots Av. Those type of things, you just have to be lucky, and at the right place at the right time. 

Edited by Q23 via 108

Just now, m2fwannabe said:

R-160A-1 8613-16 to ENY on February 1.  12 left at 207 Street, with one train still in (C) service.

*customers are starting to notice these things... more R32’s and some “newer trains”... by the way I believe The 8 car R179’s are gonna be Permanent on the (C) til the R211’s start rolling in. 

18 hours ago, Q23 via 108 said:

I was telling myself just the other day how boring it must be for T/Os to run the same equipment everyday. Back in the early 2000s it must've been a guessing game for them as they were waiting for their next run at a terminal. The Brighton especially had a nice mix of 68s, 32s, the slants, and the 160s.