Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simple point, once the R179 orders are complete, then there should be about 140-160 R32's left, so might as well just keep them on the (J) at that point

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

No. Once again, to facilitate maximum possible service on the (J) / (M) / (Z) during the (L) shutdown, all SMEEs are coming off the Jamaica El lines. It is statistical fact that NTTs have a faster run time (compared to SMEEs) over the Williamsburg Bridge, which is the bottleneck along that line, therefore, making Jamaica El services 100% NTT will allow for maximum passenger capacity on lines that will desperately need the capacity once the L shuts down in Manhattan.

Edited by Fan Railer

Re-enable the last step of Field Shunting, and they don't have to go anywhere. That would make sense, so it will never happen.

Back to the C, unless they throw a curveball, and it's the B.

Wouldn't they all have to be 10 car sets if that happens

I believe that the remaining R32 (that won't be retired during the Canarsie Tube shutdown) will be transferred over to the A train.

So that they can go to the Rockaways, I'm supportive of that as for some R46's, I'd put them on the (C) and (G) lines during the shutdown

I usually wonder which yard neglected their R32's to the point where their interior walls have rusted through or the paint being "chippy" look at 3500 3501, 3515 3514, and 3518 3519 for example.

Edited by VIP

• 3 weeks later...

R32's are currently being sms as of this year. The only thing different (correct me if im wrong) is they are repainting the roofs of the R32's.

Sms cars so far:

3736/37 first sms pair

3670/71

3810/11

3778/79

Those are the only ones i know,if more please reply

R32's are currently being sms as of this year. The only thing different (correct me if im wrong) is they are repainting the roofs of the R32's.

Sms cars so far:

3736/37 first sms pair

3670/71

3810/11

3778/79

Those are the only ones i know,if more please reply

they're also getting their gates painted.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
   13 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

No need to put the 32s on the (M) . This is just to get pics of 32s on SAS. 

I think the issue is here is that it becomes a process of elimination. 

Here are the cited issues with all the lines when the R179s come in:

(A) : Too “packed” 

(B) : Montague a potential re-route (A possibility to some)

(C) : Not outdoors enough, will get more displaced pax at Broadway Junction, R179s will be added.

(D) : Montague a potential re-route

(E) : Not Outdoors; too packed for SMEE. 

(F) : Too Packed for SMEE. 

(G) : Plausible, but OPTO and overcrowding could be an issue

(J) / (Z): No SMEE on Jamaica during Canarsie shutdown. 

(M) : No SMEE on Jamaica/Bridge during Canarsie.

(N) / (W) : Montague in-schedule

(Q) : Montague a potential re-route

(R) : Montague in-schedule 

(S) : Franklin is OPTO, Rockaway is plausible, but won’t use up fleet

Frankly, the only route that hasn’t been discussed is the Staten Island Railway, or (SIR). Which would work, but it would need modification and then you’d have displaced R44’s on your hands. 

13 minutes ago, R42N said:

Frankly, the only route that hasn’t been discussed is the Staten Island Railway, or (SIR). Which would work, but it would need modification and then you’d have displaced R44’s on your hands. 

The Staten Island Railway uses cab signals which is a non starter in R32's. Also the half cabs rear their ugly head again, when it comes to door operation (you need a full width cab for the current conductor markers at stops on the right hand side)

There is nothing gained by doing a massive upgrade on the 32s. In order to boost the low MDBF numbers that plague the car class, the cars would practically have to be rebuilt from the ground up, which would be a massive expense for cars that really need to go. The MTA does not have any intention to prop up the 32s for any longer than absolutely necessary, which at this point, is the delivery of the 211 class. Once those new cars start arriving on property in 2020 hopefully, we will see the mass retirement of the older cars starting with the 32s and 42s. With such a short timeframe, it makes very little sense to throw a lot of money into upgrades that won't work on other cars once the 32s are removed from service.

In the interim, the cars have to go somewhere. With the various restrictions on the cars, from tunnel clearance to crowd conditions to HVAC malfunctions, I can only see these cars remain where they currently are, which is the (C) and (J) lines. Maybe they'll move to other lines if/when the 179s enter service, but beyond that, I think they're pretty much stuck where they currently are.