Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/16/2018 at 7:12 PM, Dj Hammers said:

Plans can change and in this case, they have slightly. 

Expect the R42s to go south, but the (A) may keep some R32s.

On 7/16/2018 at 7:43 PM, R32 3838 said:

I hope the (A) does keep some R32's. Its smart to keep atleast 4-6 sets while the rest go to the (B) and (G) lines. This way its a good balance of 60 footers on the (A)

Anyone have a good guess of when the R32's will all be retired?   

Just curious as to how close they may get to the 'Q -type' 66 year longevity record....

Probably not too close, as they would have to last until 2030!   🙂

Edited by traildriver

29 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I doubt the R32's can physically make it to 60 years.

They'll make it to age 60 if they're maintained well enough. They're older than the R42s and in even better shape than them still. The R32s were on the road for nearly 30 years before they were refurbished, compared to 10 years for one of their NTT-counterparts, the R160.

I was talking with an MTA insider last night and they told me something that was quite interesting 

I was told that 10car 160s were being tested on Concourse this past weekend... and that the D might be in play for NTT when the L shutdown happens... any light on this perhaps 

5 hours ago, JFK Depot said:

I was talking with an MTA insider last night and they told me something that was quite interesting 

I was told that 10car 160s were being tested on Concourse this past weekend... and that the D might be in play for NTT when the L shutdown happens... any light on this perhaps 

Didn’t the (D) have R160s. I remember Dj Hammers had a video of them like a few months ago

22 hours ago, JFK Depot said:

The D will likely stay with R68s until the R211 comes in

46 minutes ago, Dj Hammers said:

The D will likely stay with R68s until the R211 comes in

ok.

So. would fleet assignments look something like this after the shutdown but pre-R211?

(A) ALL R179 10 car sets. R46's and a handful of R32's (if they remain)

(B) R68A's and some R32's .(R42's being officially retired by then)

(C) R46

(D) R68

(E)(F)(R) R160's 

(G) 8 car R160's and 4 or 5 R32's

(J) Mostly R179's and 2 R160's

(L) ALL R143's and 2 R160's

(M) Keeps it's additional R160's 

(N)(W) R46's and some R68/A's

(Q) A few R160's and mostly R68/A's

On 8/24/2018 at 10:23 PM, VIP said:

Anyone else think/feel that R32’s on the (C) are unnecessary at this point? I rather more 60ft trains on the (A) which definitely warrants them. 

I think the (A) line crews and dispatchers hate the R32s for their older age, their half-width cabs, and those who tend to hog the RFW which leaves the T/Os unable to open their cabs wide open for their whole pick. It's why they tend not to have as many R32s on the line and is why to this very day, they still have around 5 sets of R32s on the (C). The R32s' blind faces also don't feature seats for C/Rs to sit down either. It's also why the (C) and (J) swap occurred in the summers of 2013 and 2014 before officially becoming permanent from the summer of 2015 onwards.

I do not think the (A) line crews and dispatchers care much about the R46s' lesser amount of doors causing longer boarding and dwelling times, because even if the (A) was half 60 footers, mostly 60 footers, or all 60 footers, it probably won't reduce much of the delays and bunching since ridership keeps on increasing as time passes, the (MTA) still has not decided to remove the numerous timers along the line, and keep the South Channel Drawbridge closed for the entire rush hour frame.

I know I'm talking too much here and overthinking here. I'm just saying that when it comes to the longest line in the system like the (A), it's fairly understandable why the line can't be perfect in terms of time performance and even speed too. Blame the timers and the aging signalling system (and to a lesser extent the passengers) for that. So whether the (A) has 60 footers, newer cars, overall better equipment or whatever, the (A) will always still fairly have problems along its route.

I'm telling you...the answer as to why a handful of R32s are still on the (C) is fairly obvious. What could we do?

Of course though, as you see my posts in the R179 Thread, I have no problem with trying to get as many 60 footers on the (A) as fast as possible.

Edited by Jemorie

1 hour ago, Jemorie said:

I think the (A) line crews and dispatchers hate the R32s for their older age, their half-width cabs, and those who tend to hog the RFW which leaves the T/Os unable to open their cabs wide open for their whole pick. It's why they tend not to have as many R32s on the line and is why to this very day, they still have around 5 sets of R32s on the (C). The R32s' blind faces also don't feature seats for C/Rs to sit down either. It's also why the (C) and (J) swap occurred in the summers of 2013 and 2014 before officially becoming permanent from the summer of 2015 onwards.

I do not think the (A) line crews and dispatchers care much about the R46s' lesser amount of doors causing longer boarding and dwelling times, because even if the (A) was half 60 footers, mostly 60 footers, or all 60 footers, it probably won't reduce much of the delays and bunching since ridership keeps on increasing as time passes, the (MTA) still has not decided to remove the numerous timers along the line, and keep the South Channel Drawbridge closed for the entire rush hour frame.

I know I'm talking too much here and overthinking here. I'm just saying that when it comes to the longest line in the system like the (A), it's fairly understandable why the line can't be perfect in terms of time performance and even speed too. Blame the timers and the aging signalling system (and to a lesser extent the passengers) for that. So whether the (A) has 60 footers, newer cars, overall better equipment or whatever, the (A) will always still fairly have problems along its route.

I'm telling you...the answer as to why a handful of R32s are still on the (C) is fairly obvious. What could we do?

Of course though, as you see my posts in the R179 Thread, I have no problem with trying to get as many 60 footers on the (A) as fast as possible.

I've witnessed numerous T/O's who operate R32 sets with the cab door open for their entire trips, with and without people standing beside them looking out the railfan window. There was this one time where I overheard a T/O saying he actually doesn't mind conversating with people while he operates, as it speeds up the day. Do note that he was able to safely operate and maintain a conversation simultaneously. 

3 hours ago, Jemorie said:

I think the (A) line crews and dispatchers hate the R32s for their older age, their half-width cabs, and those who tend to hog the RFW which leaves the T/Os unable to open their cabs wide open for their whole pick. 

That's a write-up if you get caught with an open door by a TSS who's a stickler, so I don't think that's much of a point. T/Os definitely dislike the cabs, but not because kids are standing by the window.