Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, VIP said:

But if the (C) keeps getting the R179’s the R42’s have to stay at East New York. Unless its 1 R179 delivered for 1 R160 transfer..

It's a 3-way process, dependent on how quickly the R-179's can overcome their technological boo-boos and enter revenue service.  And not necessarily or concurrently 1-for-1 either.

Step 1:  An R-179 train enters (C) service,  Ostensibly from 3150-3245 or thereabouts.

Step 2:  A set of R-160A-1's is transferred from 207 back to East NY (J)(Z)(M).  There were 80 at the beginning of November; now there are 64.

Step 3:  R-32's then R-42's are removed from ENY.  The R-32's all went to 207 Street; it looks like the MK R-42's will be going to Coney Island.

(Speculatively, Step 4 would be R-42's on (B), more R-68/68A's on (N) and (W) and [probably] the first batch of R-160's to Jamaica for the CBTC conversion job.)

In spite of the non-tunnel closure, depending on what permanent service improvements are implemented on (G), there could be some R-32's going to Coney Island, too, as will one species of R-46 or another, sooner or later...

If the R42's go to CIY, it's likely that the R68's that they transferred from concourse back in late 2016 would go back there first.

If the shutdown doesn't happen, the (G) would likely be only 8 car R160's with maybe 3-4 R32 sets instead of 8-10 sets. 

Also if the shutdown doesn't happen, the R42's wouldn't be needed because the (G) wouldn't see a service increase, it would only see 8 car 480 foot trains since the (L) would still be running and you can replace 50 R42's with 50 R32's meaning CIY would likely have 102 R32's 50 for the (B) and 50 for the (G) while the rest of the fleet would be at 207th. (Note the  (B) would likely only use 3-4 sets out of 5 and the (G) would use around 3-4 sets while the rest are spares)

1 hour ago, Richard Lewis said:

I Love Riding R32s A C J/Z. I Saw A Wikipedia The R32s Are Available On January 2019 The A or C Line From 207th Street Yard But I Think Its Available On J/Z Line 2 Sets of 8 Cars in The AM-Morning And 3 Set Of 8 Cars In The PM Evening Rush I Saw It On Wikipedia.Right Now Winter Time 2019 Its Available A And C Line..When R32 Move to C To J/Z Line At Summer in 2019? If You See R32 J/Z Line in Summer 2019 Let Me Know...Until Summer 2019 3 Sets Of 8 Cars..Let Me Know

oz8cq2srxkvivoh0u8bh.jpg

On 1/6/2019 at 12:35 AM, m2fwannabe said:

It's a 3-way process, dependent on how quickly the R-179's can overcome their technological boo-boos and enter revenue service.  And not necessarily or concurrently 1-for-1 either.

Step 1:  An R-179 train enters (C) service,  Ostensibly from 3150-3245 or thereabouts.

Step 2:  A set of R-160A-1's is transferred from 207 back to East NY (J)(Z)(M).  There were 80 at the beginning of November; now there are 64.

Step 3:  R-32's then R-42's are removed from ENY.  The R-32's all went to 207 Street; it looks like the MK R-42's will be going to Coney Island.

(Speculatively, Step 4 would be R-42's on (B), more R-68/68A's on (N) and (W) and [probably] the first batch of R-160's to Jamaica for the CBTC conversion job.)

In spite of the non-tunnel closure, depending on what permanent service improvements are implemented on (G), there could be some R-32's going to Coney Island, too, as will one species of R-46 or another, sooner or later...

I guess step 6 would be ten car R179s on the (A)(C) pushing out 100 or so R32s to Coney Island for the (B) and the (G)?

I really don’t see feasibility in R32’s to Coney Island... I think 207th is where they’re going to stay and retire. Those R42’s Probably will end up at 207th as well. Coney Island has enough cars. The (G) has to get those 8-car R160’s from East New York and that will free up as many as 7 sets of R68’s. Reason being, the R179 4-car order is More than enough for (J) service and has a surplus of spares at East New York with R160’s from the (M) and the R143’s from the (L)  And If Coney Island is sending their R160Bs to Jamaica, it’s going to be an even swap from R46 to R160 set by set. So again, why would R32’s need to be transferred out of 207th??

Just me putting my thinking cap on here and speculating for a sec:

Perhaps the movement of R160s to the (G) might look a little bit like this:

(assuming that 8 car R179s continue pushing out R160s from the (C) to the (J)(M)(Z))

step 1: Ten car R179 set enters service on (A) 

step 2: A set of R46s moves from the (A) to the (C) 

step 3: one set of R179s gets transferred from the (C) to the (J)(M)(Z) 

step 4: one set of R160s gets transferred from the (J)(M)(Z) to the (G) 

Or they could throw us for a loop and just send R179s direct from the (C) to the (G), but I doubt they'd do that...

On 1/5/2019 at 10:10 AM, m2fwannabe said:

It looks like all 222 R-32's are now accounted for at 207 Street.  3774/75 was in C service on January 4.

Also recently transferred from 207 to ENY were 8637-40 with 9951-54 and then 8629-32.

It also looks like there is some energy now toward sending the remaining R-160A-1's from 207 (C) back to ENY (J)(Z)(M).

Apparently working downwards from 8628 toward 8585, then the rest later.

As of January 3, there were 64 R-160A-1's @ 207 and 308 @ ENY.

Things are moving fast, all of a sudden.

Transfers 207 to ENY have been completed for 8585-8592 (since about December 24) and 

8641-44 with 8649-52 on January 7.

In addition, there are three more sets of R-160A-1's set out at 207 Street for transfer to East New York as of today (January 8).

There remain 48 R-160A-1's still assigned to 207 for C service, just 36 for the road, including a spare set.  324 now assigned to East NY.

Lots and lots of R-32's roaming around today.

On 1/8/2019 at 5:12 PM, Around the Horn said:

Just me putting my thinking cap on here and speculating for a sec:

Perhaps the movement of R160s to the (G) might look a little bit like this:

(assuming that 8 car R179s continue pushing out R160s from the (C) to the (J)(M)(Z))

step 1: Ten car R179 set enters service on (A) 

step 2: A set of R46s moves from the (A) to the (C) 

step 3: one set of R179s gets transferred from the (C) to the (J)(M)(Z) 

step 4: one set of R160s gets transferred from the (J)(M)(Z) to the (G) 

Or they could throw us for a loop and just send R179s direct from the (C) to the (G), but I doubt they'd do that...

With R179s going from the C to the J/M/Z, and R160s from the J/M/Z going to the G, does that mean we can see R179s on the M, or does ENY have enough R160s to also keep the M 100% R160?

Hi all, it's been a while since I checked in on this forum and even longer since I followed the R32 fleet swap, so  I'd like to ask a couple of questions.

1. What was the reason they sent the R32s to ENY in the first place, and why did they push them all out now?

2. Are there any plans to send the 32s to a new yard, or will they live out their lives on the (C)?

3. Where are the R42s right now? Are they still at ENY?

Just now, ttcsubwayfan said:

Hi all, it's been a while since I checked in on this forum and even longer since I followed the R32 fleet swap, so  I'd like to ask a couple of questions.

1. What was the reason they sent the R32s to ENY in the first place, and why did they push them all out now?

2. Are there any plans to send the 32s to a new yard, or will they live out their lives on the (C)?

3. Where are the R42s right now? Are they still at ENY?

1. They were sent to ENY because of the summer swaps and HVAC reasons (afaik), and they were pushed out because R179s started to enter service on the C, so R32s were sent from ENY to 207th, and the C sent all of its R160s (except for 1, as of right now) to ENY. Basically, there are no more R32s on the J, and no more R160s on the C.

2. R32s are slowly being sent to the A, but for now theres still a decently even split between the R32s on the A and C.

3. All R42s are still in ENY, however they will start getting transferred soon to either 207th or Coney Island as more R179s enter service.

10 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

Are there any R32s left on the (A) and if so how many? I rode the route today from Midtown to Rockaway Blvd during the PM rush and didn't see a single one.

Most are on the (C), with little to nothing of them on the (A). Trust me as I say this as a daily rider on both lines.

1 hour ago, Jemorie said:

Most are on the (C), with little to nothing of them on the (A). Trust me as I say this as a daily rider on both lines.

He’s correct. They’re using R32’s on the (C) much more than the (A) these days because of maintenance and spare factors. 

46 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

R-160A-1's 8609-12, 8621-24, 9947-50, 9963-66 207 back to ENY.  Still one train on (C).

MK R-42's still on (J) and (Z).

ENY now all-time high at 718 cars (!)  Where are they hiding them all?

They store trains on the unused tracks between Bowery and Canal.

I wonder if they are still avoiding laying up tech trains at 111th street. They didn't want Tech trains layed up there cause of fear of graffiti artists tagging them.

@Jemorie It's common to see 1 - 2 sets in service off peak.

Edited by trainfan22