Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

1 hour ago, brakethrow said:

I was telling myself just the other day how boring it must be for T/Os to run the same equipment everyday. Back in the early 2000s it must've been a guessing game for them as they were waiting for their next run at a terminal. The Brighton especially had a nice mix of 68s, 32s, the slants, and the 160s.

Facts my guy. Now, you are very lucky to see an R68 on the Q. And it doesn't help that all the tech trains are basically the same. The only main difference is the propulsion sound. R143s, 160 A/B, and 179s are the same thing to me. Now IRT is different because it's used to using one car type. But the B division used to be fun. Now all you really got is 8th Av and the (J).

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, brakethrow said:

I was telling myself just the other day how boring it must be for T/Os to run the same equipment everyday. Back in the early 2000s it must've been a guessing game for them as they were waiting for their next run at a terminal. The Brighton especially had a nice mix of 68s, 32s, the slants, and the 160s.

Most employees don’t care how exciting or “boring” the equipment is to operate as they’re paid to provide a service every day.

On 2/5/2019 at 5:44 PM, Daniel The Cool said:
On 2/4/2019 at 10:31 PM, m2fwannabe said:

R-160A-1 8613-16 to ENY on February 1.  12 left at 207 Street, with one train still in (C) service.

That can't be right because there was two R160 sets on the (C) this past Saturday. 

The last 12 R-160A-1's were moved 207 to East New York at end of service Wednesday evening, February 6.  Two moves:  8645-48 with 9967-70, then 8625-28 by itself.  No more R-160A-1 on (C).

R-46's on (C) are missing on weekdays for now, likely pending a better reliability from the R-179's, but are still present on weekends, albeit one or two.

One MK R-42 train from  Pitkin was returned to East New York for (J)(Z) service on February 6.  Another might get swapped back to Pitkin in exchange, where they would have their various minor ills addressed.

1 hour ago, m2fwannabe said:

R-46's on (C) are missing on weekdays for now, likely pending a better reliability from the R-179's, but are still present on weekends, albeit one or two.

They’re still out there on weekdays too. Spotted one on the (C) just a few minutes ago at a Broadway Junction.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

4 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

The last 12 R-160A-1's were moved 207 to East New York at end of service Wednesday evening, February 6.  Two moves:  8645-48 with 9967-70, then 8625-28 by itself.  No more R-160A-1 on (C).

One MK R-42 train from  Pitkin was returned to East New York for (J)(Z) service on February 6.  Another might get swapped back to Pitkin in exchange, where they would have their various minor ills addressed.

There has been no decesion made on the R42s I think as of now? 

6 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

I'm visiting New York City in four weeks time. I note from the discussion that the use of R32 cars has reduced on the A recently. Is there still at least one set out on weekdays in the rush hours?

6 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

I saw two sets on the (C) today.

17 minutes ago, clausenjh said:

I'm visiting New York City in four weeks time. I note from the discussion that the use of R32 cars has reduced on the A recently. Is there still at least one set out on weekdays in the rush hours?

I saw one today during the midday hours so yeah.

6 hours ago, Around the Horn said:
13 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

I saw two sets on the (C) today.

7 hours ago, clausenjh said:

I saw one today during the midday hours so yeah.

OK, yesterday was the R-46's first weekday back on (C) in a couple of weeks.  The R-32's are running their wheels off on the (C), with about a half dozen trains or so somewhere on (A) just about any time.  There can be dozens of consists overall in use on (A) weekdays.  Its luck of the draw (and R-179 (C) availability) the day of your visit.  The more R-179's on (C), the higher the probability of finding R-32's on (A) to fill schedules

All 50 MK R-42's remain at ENY for (J) and (Z) until further notice.  They're needed to prop up schedules while various NTT's miss time for various reason (particularly the aging R-143's). 

On 2/8/2019 at 9:39 AM, m2fwannabe said:

It looks like ten MK R-42's were brought back to ENY this week:  4790/91, 4796/97, 4808/09, 4820/21 and 4834/35.

One hold up on their transfer is ongoing long-term SMS of R-160A-1's, which leaves a hole in the fleet.  R-143 availability also lags.

Short and sweet, the MK R-42's still need to be at ENY for a while.

Eventually these "skies" will clear.

As of February 8, the assigned fleet at East New York stood at 730 cars.

22 hours ago, clausenjh said:

I've seen at least 3-4 sets running during rush hours on the (A). As long as you are patient and can afford to just sit and wait at a station, you can get one. It's just a matter of being at the right place at the right time, or just waiting a long time for one to come back the other way if you've seen it going away from your direction of travel. 

3 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

It looks like ten MK R-42's were brought back to ENY this week:  4790/91, 4796/97, 4808/09, 4820/21 and 4834/35.

One hold up on their transfer is ongoing long-term SMS of R-160A-1's, which leaves a hole in the fleet.  R-143 availability also lags.

R160's reviving cbtc work as well for future (M) QBL cbtc

3 hours ago, Enjineer said:

I've seen at least 3-4 sets running during rush hours on the (A). As long as you are patient and can afford to just sit and wait at a station, you can get one. It's just a matter of being at the right place at the right time, or just waiting a long time for one to come back the other way if you've seen it going away from your direction of travel. 

Thanks to everyone for the info. I'll probably wait at Fulton Street or High Street, then I'll be able to cover both directions from one platform.

15 minutes ago, clausenjh said:

I'll probably wait at Fulton Street or High Street, then I'll be able to cover both directions from one platform.

Yup, that's your best bet, unless you have someone who knows where along the line they are. I waited at 34-Penn so I could film other trains on the local tracks while also waiting (and not missing) the 32 (A) I wanted going uptown. 

9 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

That’s 23 and a 1/2 eight car set surplus... wtf just get Rid of those R42’s already! Lol

I have noticed 143s getting pulled from service due to "mechanical problems" a couple of times lately, then again the (L) is my home line that I ride the most so maybe issues on that line just stands out more to me...

As for saying the 143s aging, so weird to see that term referred to an NTT car class so soon, especially for a car class that's expected to last 40 years and is only 18 years old. I expect the term aging to apply to cars like the 62/A & 68/A which are getting up there in age.

52 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I have noticed 143s getting pulled from service due to "mechanical problems" a couple of times lately, then again the (L) is my home line that I ride the most so maybe issues on that line just stands out more to me...

As for saying the 143s aging, so weird to see that term referred to an NTT car class so soon, especially for a car class that's expected to last 40 years and is only 18 years old. I expect the term aging to apply to cars like the 62/A & 68/A which are getting up there in age.

I still think they didn't order enough of them. They get beat to the ground because of the low spare factor.

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I still think they didn't order enough of them. They get beat to the ground because of the low spare factor.

I think those cars should be assigned to the (J) or (M) in exchange for R160’s especially when more 8-car R160’s get CBTC equipped. And I also agree that the agency didn’t order enough  R143’s KNOWING that Bushwick and Williamsburg was going to see a growth in ridership.

17 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they get upgrades similar to the ones planned for the 142s and 142As as they are around the same age. As long as the trains are well maintained, the trains will be fine. The present problem is that the 143s are the primary car class for the busiest single-service subway line. It's also hampered by the fact that only the 143s and a relatively low amount of the 160A1s are capable of running on the line, making the trains much more likely to break down.

16 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

They definitely didn't order enough of them. Of course, the 143s were ordered in 2000 when the line's ridership wasn't literally bursting at the seams. It was growing, but it was manageable at the time. By the time they wanted to change over to CBTC signaling, they were delayed partly by a lack of usable cars, which is why they had to wait for the 160s to arrive in 2007 before switching over.

1 hour ago, Lance said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they get upgrades similar to the ones planned for the 142s and 142As as they are around the same age. As long as the trains are well maintained, the trains will be fine. The present problem is that the 143s are the primary car class for the busiest single-service subway line. It's also hampered by the fact that only the 143s and a relatively low amount of the 160A1s are capable of running on the line, making the trains much more likely to break down.

They definitely didn't order enough of them. Of course, the 143s were ordered in 2000 when the line's ridership wasn't literally bursting at the seams. It was growing, but it was manageable at the time. By the time they wanted to change over to CBTC signaling, they were delayed partly by a lack of usable cars, which is why they had to wait for the 160s to arrive in 2007 before switching over.

The second option order for the R211s could allow for 4-car sets, which would likely go to the (L) due to its increasing ridership and because open-gangways would help a lot. R211s to the (L) could allow the R143s to go out of service for refurbishment.

2 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

The second option order for the R211s could allow for 4-car sets, which would likely go to the (L) due to its increasing ridership and because open-gangways would help a lot. R211s to the (L) could allow the R143s to go out of service for refurbishment.

@Bill from Maspeth Why did you downvote this post? Is there something factually incorrect about this, or do you have additional knowledge about NYCT's plans to exercise the option?

17 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Or they could upgrade the remaining A1s along with the 179s to be CBTC-compatible. We have a lot of capable trains to take the load off the 143s. They just aren't compatible yet. There's no need for more four-car sets when the East is already saturated with NTTs. It would become even more saturated if the (C) ever became full-length, thus forcing the four-car 179s elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Lance said:

Or they could upgrade the remaining A1s along with the 179s to be CBTC-compatible. We have a lot of capable trains to take the load off the 143s. They just aren't compatible yet. There's no need for more four-car sets when the East is already saturated with NTTs. It would become even more saturated if the (C) ever became full-length, thus forcing the four-car 179s elsewhere.

Where else would the four-car R211s go? NYCT has them as an option for a reason. Where else would they go if not the (L)? The (G) ? I doubt it.