Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

Guest lance25

Those are some nice shops there Jon. If that's what the R32s (and hopefully R42s too) will look like after this is all said and done, I'll have to change my tune. Though, in my opinion, the stainless steel of the R42s clash terribly with the periwinkle color of the seats there. I'd go with something a bit darker if it were up to me. Then again, I really don't like the color of those seats anywhere, so, yeah.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For that matter, I would like to see 68's get the blue treatment. That would fit a lot better than for the 46's, where the orange seats fit in with the brown faux-wood scheme (along with the tan, and what inspired the scheme painted into the other cars)

The Arrow IIIs on NJT are worse with the faux-wood paneling. It makes you feel like you're sitting the 70's. It's gotta go. And for the one person that said, the R68s might not get automatic announcements, That's probably happening within the next year or two. I think if I remember correctly, MTA already awarded the bid to a company and they had a preview of it in APTA.

And the system might go in every other class of car cept the 32s and 42s. So that leaves the R62, R62A, R68A, R46, and R44-SIs. But now that's a maybe. Right now I heard ONLY 68s.

I never had fond memories of the R44s either, they were always dimly lit and the floor would rattle and squeal

Same here, R46s -ride wise, felt better and they are still around, so no big loss to me when the last R44 was gone. The only thing i liked about the R44s were those glass partitions by the doors.

Btw, great job with the photoshop. Very cool!

Lol, about how some just have to get all mad over that R32 one. smh. Arguing about trains, really?

Someone threatened you over a photo? People these days are ridiculous. This is why I made the right choice by not getting Facebook account.

Nah, just block the person or whatever. You don't have to avoid FB just because of some potential crazies.

It makes me laugh to see the blue on the R32 and R42s because that's not that far away from when they were new. Everything old is new again. The 32s originally had blue seats and walls and doors with blue and white tiled floors and so did the 42s. They were turned to beige to match the 44s look with the seats turned the gray/black color. All the R142/143 did was bring back the blue (ok periwinkle), the 142 to the seats and the 143 to the walls too but non-painted. Blue and silver look good together, beige and black not as good. If the R32/42 were to get a treatment to the new tech R142-R160s, it'll be really going back to the original 1960s interior paint scheme.

It makes me laugh to see the blue on the R32 and R42s because that's not that far away from when they were new. Everything old is new again. The 32s originally had blue seats and walls and doors with blue and white tiled floors and so did the 42s. They were turned to beige to match the 44s look with the seats turned the gray/black color. All the R142/143 did was bring back the blue (ok periwinkle), the 142 to the seats and the 143 to the walls too but non-painted. Blue and silver look good together, beige and black not as good. If the R32/42 were to get a treatment to the new tech R142-R160s, it'll be really going back to the original 1960s interior paint scheme.
A way to get the original door colors back without "wasting" the stainless steel effect is to use "stain" paint. Like the kind you find on many thermos or "travel mug" containers (I have a red one like this). That way, you can see the metal grain, yet still have the color. (Yet this appears to scratch off very easily).

For the 42's, you would also need to cut the longer windows in the doors. They're now using the same exact doors as in the 32's, and it never looked right. Wonder if they could even us the same end doors as the 68's, or 143's. Also, for the 42's, the interior lighting.

oh and to whoever reposted that on facebook, woulda been nice if you had given me credit.

It would be nice if you gave me credit for the picture

if youre talking about the R160 Facebook page, that was me but i did give credit to you for the Photoshop and stated someone else(who i didnt know at the time either) took the photo.

The Arrow IIIs on NJT are worse with the faux-wood paneling. It makes you feel like you're sitting the 70's. It's gotta go. And for the one person that said, the R68s might not get automatic announcements, That's probably happening within the next year or two. I think if I remember correctly, MTA already awarded the bid to a company and they had a preview of it in APTA.

And the system might go in every other class of car cept the 32s and 42s. So that leaves the R62, R62A, R68A, R46, and R44-SIs. But now that's a maybe. Right now I heard ONLY 68s.

there was a news report before the end of the summer on PIX that stated the 62s were gonna get the tech upgrads as well as the 68s. Makes sence since these cars are only 22-27 years old roughly.

I'd like to know where on the 68's are they gonna put anymore stuff for announcements and computers ect. There barely enough room in the cabs for 1 human to fit in.

well i guess it depends on a) whether enginneers removed equipment from the cars that are now technically 'b' cars now since they were converted to 4 car units so there may be space throughout the set and b)if they decide to place all the new equipment to the corner cabs on the #2 end or even under the seats. I wonder how much weight all this is going to add to cars that are bacically the heaviest in the fleet already?

I'd like to know where on the 68's are they gonna put anymore stuff for announcements and computers ect. There barely enough room in the cabs for 1 human to fit in.

I heard that it will be similar to what the CTA in Chicago uses on their cars. Its a small keypad with a screen, like those on a bus sign. On there cars, you enter your run number and it knows what line your on. After that you have to play the announcement manually like you already do with the door closing warning.

There was an R68 set in the 90's wired for automated announcements. It was one of the 2700's on the (Q6Av). There is space for it built in without taking more space. (And the CBTC testing was even on 2500-04, so that set had that equipment as well).

I heard that it will be similar to what the CTA in Chicago uses on their cars. Its a small keypad with a screen, like those on a bus sign. On there cars, you enter your run number and it knows what line your on. After that you have to play the announcement manually like you already do with the door closing warning.

Like this junk:

R-46Luminator.jpg

They told me there were no more pins for anymore trainline functions, so I wonder how they'll do all this.

The R-32's which are arguably along with the redbirds are the best and longest-serving trains in NYC subway history. With that said and approaching 50 years of service, it long past it's retirement. The (MTA) should have just brought another few R-160's also so that the entire (A) and (C) line would be mostly R-46's along with a few R-160's. Please no haters lol from R-32's lovers, but just like a 1979 Caddy Deville, there a time and place to move on.

Not to burst your bubble but the redbirds and r32s were not the oldest continually running cars in the system, the oldest art the Q types, originally started as gate cars, and then being converted into Q and QX types, and ran for 60 years, and the last time they ran was in 1969, on the myrtle ave el between jay street and broadway. just my two cents though, btw I can't wait to see the back on the (E) if they are going to be transfered to the (E), but as long as i see one pull in even if its not my train im happy.