Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These local newscasts are from hunger. They try to take something like this and sensationalize instead of actually doing a REAL story. For example, celebrate the R32 for its nearly 50 years of service. Talk about its history and how it got here. Or report about WHY the R32 is still in service, no $ from Albany and so on. The MTA is not entirely at fault here.

(A) (r-46) Modern? There just as old as the 32's. But they do ride better.

Another example of a news reporter/writer and station crew not doing their homework.:eek: The R46's are almost as old as me at almost 40 years old.

However almost everyonr agree both from the railfans and non experts on the NYC subway system alike, the R46's are still in good shape though.

These complaints won't be happening if they had ordered more R160's at the time.

Well the order was originally supposed to be 1,700 cars but was decreased to 1,662 for financial reasons. Though the difference is really minor. It most likely would'be been enough to replace those R42s and that's it.

The C is bad because it runs only 8 cars (for no reason, unlike the J, L & M whose platforms cannot accomodate trains longer than 8cars) which causes overcrowding the 1st and last car at times, only runs R32's (aside from the summer months) and is the only line to run the R32's.

This statement always baffles me. "Complaining" that the C only has 8 cars is like complaining that the Q79 didn't use articulated buses.

The ride may have made her nauseous, but her reporting did the same to me...

LOL Hilarious.

mannn they should keep them bad boys in service for the next ten years! .. i wonder why people forget this is public transpotation, even though the mta is updating their fleet and the 32's are the oldest and IMO THE BEST in the subway game what more do people expect. & serious that anchor defentley over exagorated i ride the c twice a day to and back & it isnt that bad except for the screching!

r32 <3 to the death of me with my side thang the r160

my favorite trainns

talk about sleek and modern . pshhhh i rather wait on a C than a A . aint nothing sleek about the 46s they literally paint over rust . the cars vetelation system suckass and it just there

I knew the R44's were going bye bye because of they frame issues but don't hold your breath on the R44's im just sayin you might see them again, btw Half of these R32's will not stay on the (C) after the summer when the (L) gets its extra trains they will be comming off the (J)/(M) but anyway they are here to stay for a few more years what do you expect Budd built some good railcars and this is why we need American builders back in the railcar business, im tierd of this junk from other countries, Its sad that the R160's look like they are 15 years old, to everyone be glad you still have R32's still running point blank

Deleted

Edited by B17EastNewYorkDepot

The latest thing I am heaing is that they will NOT repaint the interiors of the cars because they want to save as much money as possible. Also, it seems that the first few cars are close to being done. With new windows and clean trucks, these cars look great.

Even if you did that, you'd still be short cars. If they really wanted 600' (C) trains, they could do that, but run the (C) at very long headways. Longer trains, but fewer of them.

=

That would be great, but I don't think any were saved. They stayed in the car when they were reefed.

Damn, that's a shame... but yeah, it would've been nice to have those around.

The latest thing I am heaing is that they will NOT repaint the interiors of the cars because they want to save as much money as possible. Also, it seems that the first few cars are close to being done. With new windows and clean trucks, these cars look great.

woww , this is so swaggless , so basically nothing has been done to the interior besides the windows

One pair survives. 3594-3595 at Floyd Bennet Field. The R32GEs were the most unique cars I've ever layed eyes on. It sad they didn't continue service, but it is what it is.

Oh, I meant the R38 style hand holds. They all stayed in the cars when they were reefed.