Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised they didn't put the 32 (A) trains on the Rock Park rush hour specials, they would only run during rush hour and that would eat up 4 to 5 sets. When the R42s last ran on the (A) in the summer of 2010 or 11, all of them were on the Rock Park specials. 

Edited by trainfan22

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I'm surprised they didn't put the 32 (A) trains on the Rock Park rush hour specials, they would only run during rush hour and that would eat up 4 to 5 sets. When the R42s last ran on the (A) in the summer of 2010 or 11, all of them were on the Rock Park specials. 

The R42s only ran during the 2011 and 2012 summers on the (A) Line (Not counting 2008-2009 period during the R160 delivery) and not all of the Rockaway Park Specials were R42s.  

6 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I heard the people overthere complained because they like the seating arrangement on the R46's. 

I rode the (J) from Broadway Jct to Eessex just now, for the first time in quite some time I seen not one 32 on the (J) line, a seen a bunch of 160s, two sets of 42s and even the 179, but no 32s. Even if I ride a short distance on the (J) I always see a couple of sets in service, there's definitely a reduced amount of 32s on the (J).

6 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I rode the (J) from Broadway Jct to Eessex just now, for the first time in quite some time I seen not one 32 on the (J) line, a seen a bunch of 160s, two sets of 42s and even the 179, but no 32s. Even if I ride a short distance on the (J) I always see a couple of sets in service, there's definitely a reduced amount of 32s on the (J).

I noticed that too and I usually ride the (J) from Sutphin Blvd to Norwood Avenue every weekday (except when there's no school) 

I would only see like only a few R32 sets on the (J) and I've NEVER seen an NTT parked on the 111 St relay track

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Seems like they're going over to the (A) till they're all dead. I would have liked for them to go to the (B) because it's a weekday-only line but now we understand why that's not happen, seeing they won't fix the Montague Street Tunnel's clearance thingy. If they end up staying on the (A), they should not run them all the time and instead reduce them to fewer roundtrips per day. Hopefully they'll do the same with the R46s once the R211s take over the line years later, especially given that the R46s has had a history of problems over the course of their lifespan. 

3 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Seems like they're going over to the (A) till they're all dead. I would have liked for them to go to the (B) because it's a weekday-only line but now we understand why that's not happen, seeing they won't fix the Montague Street Tunnel's clearance thingy. If they end up staying on the (A), they should not run them all the time and instead reduce them to fewer roundtrips per day. Hopefully they'll do the same with the R46s once the R211s take over the line years later, especially given that the R46s has had a history of problems over the course of their lifespan. 

It seems almost a norm for most old train division B cars to be having their last years or last run entirely on the (A), R40's, R38 and R44 for NYCTA most famously. It's above ground, but also very long underground as well, I would've loved to see the R32's continue on the (J) and not undergo fleet swapping, they spent most of their years on that line and made it awesome to ride for me especially with the lines influx of R160's. I wish they would add R160's or at least more R179's on the (A) as they would even out and modernize a line that has always relied on such old trains especially now with this R32 fleet swap.

I also hope some R32's will go on the Franklin and Rockaway Park (S) as both are above ground mostly and short routes that can be prioritized for non rush hour, im sure they might but we'll have to see.

29 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

It seems almost a norm for most old train division B cars to be having their last years or last run entirely on the (A), R40's, R38 and R44 for NYCTA most famously. It's above ground, but also very long underground as well, I would've loved to see the R32's continue on the (J) and not undergo fleet swapping, they spent most of their years on that line and made it awesome to ride for me especially with the lines influx of R160's. I wish they would add R160's or at least more R179's on the (A) as they would even out and modernize a line that has always relied on such old trains especially now with this R32 fleet swap.

I also hope some R32's will go on the Franklin and Rockaway Park (S) as both are above ground mostly and short routes that can be prioritized for non rush hour, im sure they might but we'll have to see.

32s can't run on the Franklin Shuttle because they don't have full width cabs for OPTO. They can't run on the Rock Park Shuttle outside of summer weekends for the same reason.