Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

On 1/20/2019 at 1:30 AM, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

The R42s have NOT been officially assigned to the 207th Street Yard. I don't know why there are all these members on here getting all hyped in believing they'll be taking pictures and videos of R42s on the (A) or (C). Thankfully my intuition on this topic remains as it always has, not failing me.

At this point it's a wait and see, but it looks like they will be assigned to the (A). Sources have stated that they will run on the (A) alongside the 10 car R179 going into service between this week to the end of the month.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/19/2019 at 8:43 PM, m2fwannabe said:

Well, it's NOT official:

I am informed that the above move was strictly for storage purposes because of a lack of parking space at the East New York facility or on the entire "Eastern Division."

Again, there are 718 cars currently assigned, an all-time high by far.  "No decision" yet on future assignments for the MK R-42's, but they operationally healthy and are not being retired at this time.

Oh, well! :blink:

Informed by who? Or Misinformed by whom?! So you mean to tell me, they’re just going to Storage 1 set of R42’s at Pitkin due to maxed out storage at East New York ?! I call Bullshit on that. If storage was an issue, they would’ve Kept the R160’s on the (C) or sent ALL 50 R42’s to 207th Street where there is ample amount of storage space. Where those cars will end up? It is very likey they’re going to be 207th Street’s property and they may even run as 10-car consists on the (C) 🤷🏽‍♂️

1 hour ago, VIP said:

Informed by who? Or Misinformed by whom?! So you mean to tell me, they’re just going to Storage 1 set of R42’s at Pitkin due to maxed out storage at East New York ?! I call Bullshit on that. If storage was an issue, they would’ve Kept the R160’s on the (C) or sent ALL 50 R42’s to 207th Street where there is ample amount of storage space. Where those cars will end up? It is very likey they’re going to be 207th Street’s property and they may even run as 10-car consists on the (C) 🤷🏽‍♂️

I have to agree to this, why would they do all of that just to store the cars. Once another 4-8 cars get transferred, they'll throw it in service.

The plan is to get 2 R42's and the lone 10 car R179's in service by the end of the month. The R179 is happening very soon tho.

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

I have to agree to this, why would they do all of that just to store the cars. Once another 4-8 cars get transferred, they'll throw it in service.

The plan is to get 2 R42's and the lone 10 car R179's in service by the end of the month. The R179 is happening very soon tho.

You already know. 👌🏽

On 1/21/2019 at 2:54 PM, VIP said:

Informed by who? Or Misinformed by whom?! So you mean to tell me, they’re just going to Storage 1 set of R42’s at Pitkin due to maxed out storage at East New York ?! I call Bullshit on that. If storage was an issue, they would’ve Kept the R160’s on the (C) or sent ALL 50 R42’s to 207th Street where there is ample amount of storage space. Where those cars will end up? It is very likey they’re going to be 207th Street’s property and they may even run as 10-car consists on the (C) 

Mistakenly informed by human beings trying to stay on top of what they're seeing first hand, but don't necessarily know why.  We should all be thankful for a willingness to share as they witness what appears to be history.

The ratio of 4's to 5's changes as Bombardier adds "free" cars to the order in lieu of performance penalty payments to MTA.  

The 5-car R-179's won't be delivered until the 4-car sets are all on the premises.  That won't happen until sometime in March as things have stood for some time.

At the 318 car threshold, there are only seven more quads left to deliver.  One a week (seen 3210-13 yet?), that's seven weeks, then the 5-packs will start to arrive.  

31 minutes ago, Richard Lewis said:

Wait...The (L) Train Shutdown Coming To April 2019. Should Are Ride On R32 And R42 (L) Train On Shuttle Train At Bedford Ave And Canarsie-Rockaway Parkway Or Broadway Junction Are Both Directions? 2 Sets of 4 Cars R32 And 4 Sets of 4 Cars R42 And R143 2 Sets of 4 Cars on Rolling Stocks. There's No 14th Street Line In Manhattan on (L) Train Shutdown At April 2019 By A Way R179 Are Still Coming Replacement R42. R143 Are Coming to (J) (Z)Line On April 2019.

Bro there is not shut down anymore ... look a few pages back 

Edited by R179 8258

16 minutes ago, Richard Lewis said:

R32 R42 And R143 (L) Are Available At April 2019 For (L) Train Shutdown

@Richard Lewis

None of this is correct whatsoever, the SMEES can’t even operate on the (L) and the shutdown was called off https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/01/18/l-train-shutdown-officially-canceled/

You are beating a dead horse at this point, slow down... 

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

@Richard Lewis Please stop sharing the inaccurate information. There are actual people who will believe this. 1) The L Train Shutdown is cancelled, as a movement from Governor Cuomo. 2) They are trying to avoid 8 car trains on the C, which is why R160s are leaving the C. 3) R42s cannot run on the L line, due to CBTC.

37 minutes ago, Eagle Railfanning said:

@Richard Lewis Please stop sharing the inaccurate information. There are actual people who will believe this. 1) The L Train Shutdown is cancelled, as a movement from Governor Cuomo. 2) They are trying to avoid 8 car trains on the C, which is why R160s are leaving the C. 3) R42s cannot run on the L line, due to CBTC.

Any SMEE-type subway car can run on the (L). In fact, when the R32s were housed at East New York Yard, they would use the (L) to reach the carwash facility at Canarsie Yard. Clearly, they aren't running SMEE sets on the (L)because CBTC neccesitates the existence and use of NTT-type cars, but just to make it clear, there is no restriction banning R32s/R42s from using the (L) if they needed to. R32s/R42s operating in passenger service on the (L) =/= R32s/R42s operating NIS on the (L). The CBTC signalling system will accommodate a set of SMEE cars if necessary, and it has been done more than you think, e.g., whenever refuse trains pick up trash at night on the (7), which is a line operated by use of CBTC equipment.

The portion of the (L) line the SMEEs use to travel to and from the wash still have wayside signals, the underground portion (Bushwick to 8th Ave) of the (L) line only has wayside signals at interlockings..

Running SMEE's in service on the (L) line wouldn't make sense, without wayside signals they would have to go real slow for safety reasons, also would CBTC equipped trains would even be able to "see" an SMEE in front of it? Could be disastrous if an SMEE went BIE in the underwater tubes and the CBTC system doesn't know the train is there..

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Running SMEE's in service on the (L) line wouldn't make sense, without wayside signals they would have to go real slow for safety reasons, also would CBTC equipped trains would even be able to "see" an SMEE in front of it? Could be disastrous if an SMEE went BIE in the underwater tubes and the CBTC system doesn't know the train is there..

I think the signals default to some sort of manual operation if a non-CBTC train is present. That's why non-CBTC trains on the (L) cause so many headaches, since due to the lack of a redundant block system like the (7), trains have to become much further apart for safety. 

10 minutes ago, Richard Lewis said:

Shut Up..I'm trying Talk About L Train Shutdown 

Even if you didn’t regurgitate the (L) shutdown nonsense (just google “L shutdown called off” online). I was referring to @VIP’s comment, not yours. 

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

Back to the topic sorta

I did some math and if the (G) does go 8 cars, the (G) would still need R32's. There wouldn't be enough 8 car R160's for the (G). The (M) uses 168 cars (21 trainsets) plus spares (my guess would be 48 or less cars.) Plus you got the 64 cars that are used for the (L).

The (M) has to be 100% R160 for QBL cbtc and are in the process of getting those cbtc dongles on their trucks.

The (G) currently uses 52 R68's, That's 13 4 car trainsets. As a whole train that's 6.5 trainsets.

The (G) will still need R32's to supplement those R160's. The (G) uses 13 trainsets, if Coney island gets 64-72 R160's that's 8-9 sets, you'll need about 64 R32's to cover the other half. That's about 8 sets, 6-7 out of those 8 sets would be used.

So in theory the R42's would replace 8 sets of R32's on the (A) to Coney island . Then as the R179's come in those R42's would get bumped into retirement or to the (B) as planned. 

The (G) is still going 8 cars, it was confirmed unless things change.

So in turn

50 R42's bump out 64 R32's to CIY

Those R32's in turn bump out the 52 cars of R68's to the N/W

65 cars of R160's (former Jamaica cars) goes back to Jamaica 

Jamaica bumps out 52 R46's to pitkin for (A) and (C) service

I know just is just pure speculation but I think this would make the most sense and is likely to happen. Based of confirmed reports.

Again Andy byford confirmed that the G will still be lengthed. 8 cars would make sense due to the large surplus of 8 car trains we will have.

So in tern 207th will probably have 158 R32's while CIY would have 64. 

2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Back to the topic sorta

I did some math and if the (G) does go 8 cars, the (G) would still need R32's. There wouldn't be enough 8 car R160's for the (G). The (M) uses 168 cars (21 trainsets) plus spares (my guess would be 48 or less cars.) Plus you got the 64 cars that are used for the (L).

The (M) has to be 100% R160 for QBL cbtc and are in the process of getting those cbtc dongles on their trucks.

The (G) currently uses 52 R68's, That's 13 4 car trainsets. As a whole train that's 6.5 trainsets.

The (G) will still need R32's to supplement those R160's. The (G) uses 13 trainsets, if Coney island gets 64-72 R160's that's 8-9 sets, you'll need about 64 R32's to cover the other half. That's about 8 sets, 6-7 out of those 8 sets would be used.

So in theory the R42's would replace 8 sets of R32's on the (A) to Coney island . Then as the R179's come in those R42's would get bumped into retirement or to the (B) as planned. 

The (G) is still going 8 cars, it was confirmed unless things change.

So in turn

Jamaica bumps out 52 R46's to pitkin for (A) and (C) service

I know this is just pure speculation but I think this would make the most sense and is likely to happen. Based of confirmed reports.

Again Andy byford confirmed that the G will still be lengthed. 8 cars would make sense due to the large surplus of 8 car trains we will have.

I had to quote this since I’m on mobile and there was an ad blocking some of your post.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

I don't know why the ad is blocking my post but I'm going to repost

Back to the topic sorta

I did some math and if the (G) does go 8 cars, the would still need R32's. There wouldn't be enough 8 car R160's for the (G). The  (M) uses 168 cars (21 trainsets) plus spares (my guess would be 48 or less cars.) Plus you got the 64 cars that are used for the (L).

The G currently uses 52 R68's, That's 13 4 car trainsets. As a whole train that's 6.5 trainsets.

The G will still need R32's to supplement those R160's. The G uses 13 trainsets, if Coney island gets 64-72 R160's that's 8-9 sets, you'll need about 64 R32's to cover the other half. That's about 8 sets, 6-7 out of those 8 sets would be used.

The G is still going 8 cars, it was confirmed unless things change.

So in turn

Jamaica bumps out 52 R46's to pitkin for A and C service

I know just is just pure speculation but I think this would make the most sense and is likely to happen. Based of confirmed reports.

Edited by R32 3838

15 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

I had to quote this since I’m on mobile and there was an ad blocking half of your post.

Im experiencing the same issues as well. 

8 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

I don't know why the ad is blocking my post but I'm going to repost

Back to the topic sorta

I did some math and if the (G) does go 8 cars, the would still need R32's. There wouldn't be enough 8 car R160's for the (G). The  (M) uses 168 cars (21 train sets) plus spares (my guess would be 48 or less cars.) Plus you got the 64 cars that are used for the (L).

The (M) has to be 100% R160 for QBL cbtc and are in the process of getting those CBTC dongles on their trucks.

The (G) currently uses 52 R68's, That's 13 4 car train sets. As a whole train that's 6.5 train sets.

The (G) will still need R32's to supplement those R160's. The G uses 13 trainsets, if Coney island gets 64-72 R160's that's 8-9 sets, you'll need about 64 R32's to cover the other half. That's about 8 sets, 6-7 out of those 8 sets would be used.

The (G) is still going 8 cars, it was confirmed unless things change.

So in turn:

Those R32's in turn bump out the 52 cars of R68's to the (N)/(W) 

Jamaica bumps out 52 R46's to pitkin for (A) and (C) service

Again Andy byford confirmed that the (G) will still be lengthed. 8 cars would make sense due to the large surplus of 8 car trains we will have.

Fixed a few errors for you. I do agree with this speculation since not all R179’s are on the property yet. I think because of the recent change and the addition of 2 new B cars on the R179 order. I feel like we’ll see some drastic changes in terms of fleet. The (G), yes it should be increased to 8 cars in length! But what disappoints me is that it won’t get an increase in service. At least 2-3 TPH would be good enough. I also feel like there’s a potential that we might see 10 car (C) trains! Though that too, is just speculation.