Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

1 hour ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Im experiencing the same issues as well. 

Fixed a few errors for you. I do agree with this speculation since not all R179’s are on the property yet. I think because of the recent change and the addition of 2 new B cars on the R179 order. I feel like we’ll see some drastic changes in terms of fleet. The (G), yes it should be increased to 8 cars in length! But what disappoints me is that it won’t get an increase in service. At least 2-3 TPH would be good enough. I also feel like there’s a potential that we might see 10 car (C) trains! Though that too, is just speculation. 

The (C) is still gonna go 10 cars, some of  the 10 car R179s and R46's will run on the (C) alongside some full length R32's. In order to make the (G) 8 cars, the (C) has to go full length

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

The (C) is still gonna go 10 cars, some of  the 10 car R179s and R46's will run on the (C) alongside some full length R32's. In order to make the (G) 8 cars, the (C) has to go full length

Just one question: Where was it confirmed that the (C) would use 10-car R179s and R32s? I thought it would just be 100% R46.

48 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Just one question: Where was it confirmed that the (C) would use 10-car R179s and R32s? I thought it would just be 100% R46.

It's using tech trains, hence why the 8 car R179's are on it, even though it's temporary.  The (A) and (C) is gonna share equipment. 

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

The (C) “has” to go full length? Correction; the (C) line is “planned” to be equipped with 600ft trainsets for service. It’s not required right now. 

3 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

My friend, gone are the days of equipment constraints. Every yard is required to “make service” prime example; Jamaica yard- the Cuomo scheme R160’s end up on the (F) and (R) lines occasionally but they were “exclusively” for (E) train service. So the (A) and (C) -if 10 car sets are required for (C) service, will be using whatever is available at their respective yards.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Is this sign from before GOH?

Old School R32 sign?

I tried to find an pre GOH R32 interior pic to compare and only found this one, but I had trouble seeing the other end of the car after zooming in

Ah, so that's the car number that has that!

Definitely not from before--the whole interior was redone, so nothing would have been left--but understanding is some of the very earliest GOH R32s came back just before/during the switch to the newer white on black image stickers. Some of the earliest would have gotten the "Please No" stickers that had been in use since the early 80s. Those stickers survive mostly on R68s, though they look pretty tattered on those cars. A lot of the interior stickers on R32s date to GOH, specifically the door stickers that are the smaller "Riding between is prohibited" as opposed to the newer "Riding or moving" stickers. 

1 hour ago, m2fwannabe said:

Well folks, we now have a second R-42 train laid up at Pitkin.  Involved are 4788/89, 4794/95, 4796/97, 4820/21, not in order.

There were still three 8-car consists in the (J)(Z) cycle for Friday, January 25.

Still 20 R-160A-1's at 207 Street for (C) (for now).

Are those R42 sets at Pitkin Yard there because of the storage capacity issues at East New York Yard you mentioned earlier? 

7 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

Well folks, we now have a second R-42 train laid up at Pitkin.  Involved are 4788/89, 4794/95, 4796/97, 4820/21, not in order.

There were still three 8-car consists in the (J)(Z) cycle for Friday, January 25.

Still 20 R-160A-1's at 207 Street for (C) (for now).

Honestly, is there any reason for the R42s in Pitkin to go back to the J/Z lines? If the J/Z will only continue to get cars until the R179 5 car sets start coming in, wouldn’t it make more sense for the R42s to just go in service on the A, rather than being sent back to ENY?

7 hours ago, Eagle Railfanning said:

Honestly, is there any reason for the R42s in Pitkin to go back to the J/Z lines? If the J/Z will only continue to get cars until the R179 5 car sets start coming in, wouldn’t it make more sense for the R42s to just go in service on the A, rather than being sent back to ENY?

Man, those cars are awaiting inspection then will be utilized by (A) crews for passenger service. 

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

A poster on another forum seen an 42 set out and about on the (A) line today, can anyone confirm that it was running in passenger service?

As far as I’m concerned it’s probably OOS and making it’s way to Pitkin as those cars are spare factors to R179’s. 

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

A poster on another forum seen an 42 set out and about on the (A) line today, can anyone confirm that it was running in passenger service?

I've seen an R42 set myself before during late last year that Dj Hammers managed to catch. That run was a school run, so this run should be the same. I dunno why they'd run a 40+ yr old OOS train for no reason, besides it being a school run.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Another theory is that this was the 42 set that is being used for the speed unit or w/e it's called, testing out timers to see where speeds could be improved.

Could have been the S.P.E.E.D. unit, as I noticed the 8th Avenue Line seemed suspiciously absent from the list of changes they've settled upon for speed limit increases (looking at you, southbound Central Park West express after 86th Street)

On 1/27/2019 at 7:37 PM, trainfan22 said:

Edited Sunday at 07:37 PM by trainfan22

It was a re-positioning move from Pitkin to Lefferts Blvd. and back to Pitkin to move them to a different track within the yard.  As always, Pitkin's roof (the apartment building's basement) leaks and they are trying to keep them clean and dry while stored (but ready).  All handbrakes are applied until then and they wait for whatever.

BTW, the second MK R-42 consist was 4789/88-4795/94-4820/21-4797/96.  All are still formally assigned to East NY, where there were three still in service on Monday (January 28).