Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, VIP said:

Ummm,? I thought the R211 order was 5-car sets only....

As stated in Board Materials and the contract.

The Authority shall have a second Option, to be exercised at any time after the award but no later than fourteen (14) months in advance of the then scheduled delivery date of the last Unit of the base Contract, or of the first Option described above in ARTICLE 1203.A1., as applicable (the “Option Period”), to purchase three hundred thirty three (333) or four hundred thirty seven (437) R211T or R211A Cars made up of a combination of twenty-two (22) four-Car Units and forty-nine (49) five-Car Units (333 Cars) or eight (8) four-Car Units and eighty- one (81) five-Car Units (437 R211T or R211A Cars) pursuant to the terms and conditions set forth in the Contract Documents and at the prices set forth in the Price Schedule for the Option 2, as adjusted pursuant to ARTICLE 1202. Option 2 Units are to be continuously delivered by the Contractor until delivery of all Option 2 Units is completed.

3 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Where else would the four-car R211s go? NYCT has them as an option for a reason. Where else would they go if not the (L)? The (G) ? I doubt it.

1 hour ago, VIP said:

Ummm,? I thought the R211 order was 5-car sets only....

I wasn't aware the 211s had a four-car option as the order has been painted as the replacement for the 46s. Either way, based on the quote, there will be an additional 88 cars for the East, presumably to off the remaining 42s as well as fleet growth. It still does not negate my point though, that the rest of East New York's NTT fleet should be upgraded for CBTC so there isn't an overreliance on the 143s. Those incoming 211s will face the same fate otherwise in that they'll be run to the ground because of a lack of options.

2 hours ago, Lance said:

I wasn't aware the 211s had a four-car option as the order has been painted as the replacement for the 46s. Either way, based on the quote, there will be an additional 88 cars for the East, presumably to off the remaining 42s as well as fleet growth. It still does not negate my point though, that the rest of East New York's NTT fleet should be upgraded for CBTC so there isn't an overreliance on the 143s. Those incoming 211s will face the same fate otherwise in that they'll be run to the ground because of a lack of options.

I agree that the rest of ENY's fleet should be upgraded for CBTC. Do you agree that these cars would likely go on the (L)?

Edited by Union Tpke

I think the 143s has or had enough spares... until they started using them on the (J) line. There would be as many as 3-4 sets of 143s on on the (J) in addition to the other sets on the (L) line.

Pretty much all of the 62A run on busy lines with short headways and their holding up just fine, just wanted to throw that out there...

23 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

@Bill from Maspeth Why did you downvote this post? Is there something factually incorrect about this, or do you have additional knowledge about NYCT's plans to exercise the option?

We have plenty enough R143's and CBTC equipped R160's for L service.  When a fleet gets an SMS, they make sure there are enough cars remaining to make service.

We have more than enough 4 car links of R143/160/179 for the lines that need them.  Therefore 4 car links of R211's are not necessary.  Plus, the order is already in for all 5 car links.  Finally, due to Queens Blvd. CBTC, all R160's will be CBTC compliant.  Even the R179 as more and more lines become CBTC, as long as Byford gets his $40 Billion.    I do not know if Canarsie CBTC is compatible with upcoming Queens Blvd. CBTC.  I would hope it is.

1 hour ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

We have plenty enough R143's and CBTC equipped R160's for L service.  When a fleet gets an SMS, they make sure there are enough cars remaining to make service.

We have more than enough 4 car links of R143/160/179 for the lines that need them.  Therefore 4 car links of R211's are not necessary.  Plus, the order is already in for all 5 car links.  Finally, due to Queens Blvd. CBTC, all R160's will be CBTC compliant.  Even the R179 as more and more lines become CBTC, as long as Byford gets his $40 Billion.    I do not know if Canarsie CBTC is compatible with upcoming Queens Blvd. CBTC.  I would hope it is.

I just posted information from the R211 contract showing that your information is incorrect. 

as applicable (the “Option Period”), to purchase three hundred thirty three (333) or four hundred thirty seven (437) R211T or R211A Cars made up of a combination of twenty-two (22) four-Car Units and forty-nine (49) five-Car Units (333 Cars) or eight (8) four-Car Units and eighty- one (81) five-Car Units (437 R211T or R211A Cars) 

I don't know why it was decided to add 4-car units to the order, and made a logical guess based on the decision to add them to the order.

I'm starting to think ether they're gonna built new B cars for the R160A-1's or MTA gonna get more free R179 B cars from the existing R179 order and insert them Into the last 8 sets of current 8 car R179's that are already running.

Because 8 sets of oddball cars is dumb tbh.  I saw this month's ago and just shook my head. 

This is more like let's give the (L) new cars to show off. Waste of money and time especially if we have a surplus of 8 car units.

Edited by R32 3838

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

The R42’s rarely come out on the (J)(Z) nowadays based on my observations 

I really hope they make trips on the (A) and (C) (likely sporadically). I'd love to take HD photos of them before the MTA rightfully bids them farewell in the coming years. 

Anyways? Still no decision on R42 assignment as of now? 

1 hour ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

I really hope they make trips on the (A) and (C) (likely sporadically). I'd love to take HD photos of them before the MTA rightfully bids them farewell in the coming years. 

Anyways? Still no decision on R42 assignment as of now? 

There was a bit of clarity in the wake of the counterattack phase (14th Street Tunnels Closure), but now, much is uncertain. No one expected Cuomo to curveball the fate of the mitigation efforts so close to the actual shutdown. Regardless of the expertise these academics possess (Consultants from Columbia & Cornell), I am NOT convinced whatsoever that this patchjob will hold up for even half as long as the original work would have. I'm saying it now, the MTA is going to regret their choice on this one. Watch, in 10-15 years time or even less, I can almost guarantee that some structural defect would be found that threatens the integrity of the tunnels. For the life of me, I can't understand why the MTA went naive so quick. Talk about beyond gullible... As for where the R42s will end up? Only time will tell. I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but no one can tell you off when you see it with your own eyes. We had sort of an idea where things were being moved around to in the beginning, but most of it went cold. I can't even remember the last time @Dj Hammers commented on this topic either.

8 hours ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

There was a bit of clarity in the wake of the counterattack phase (14th Street Tunnels Closure), but now, much is uncertain. No one expected Cuomo to curveball the fate of the mitigation efforts so close to the actual shutdown. Regardless of the expertise these academics possess (Consultants from Columbia & Cornell), I am NOT convinced whatsoever that this patchjob will hold up for even half as long as the original work would have. I'm saying it now, the MTA is going to regret their choice on this one. Watch, in 10-15 years time or even less, I can almost guarantee that some structural defect would be found that threatens the integrity of the tunnels. For the life of me, I can't understand why the MTA went naive so quick. Talk about beyond gullible... As for where the R42s will end up? Only time will tell. I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but no one can tell you off when you see it with your own eyes. We had sort of an idea where things were being moved around to in the beginning, but most of it went cold. I can't even remember the last time @Dj Hammers commented on this topic either.

If they really need a train they'll run the R42 on the (A). This was confirmed but until that happens it's strictly storage, they're basically on stand by. So far some returned to ENY for service just to go back to pitkin.

I was hoping the R42's could go to the (B) as originally planned but that obviously changed.