Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NUOH MY GAWD The R32s are liek the bestest thing since sliced bread!!111!!one!1 HOW DARE you say scrap them! HOW ABOUT I SCRAP YOU!!1ONE1!!O HAIL THE ARR 32S DEATH TO THE 160s!!11!

(P.S.: This is sarcasm for those that would eventually take this seriously :P)

But I no liek the arr 32s...I no see why everyone liek them :P

I don't see why people going mad hard about the R32's still being here yes they are old, but its a train that will still get you from point A to B, thats why they are fixing these cars up, yes to you guys its a waste of money but to me its not, 24 million is a lot but to the MTA its nothing, the NTT's are 1 million a car or more, like MC CJ said, if the R44's were still here they would have just as old as the R32's, the R44's had rot issues since the 1990's, The TA knew that they didn't do crap, The R32's had a good body construction compare to what we see now and the younger class cars that got reefed, yeah I'm a R32 fan but at the same time I'm still glad that they are still here due to the fact that this would prove that a buds built subway car can last for more than 40 years, you guys need to get it thorough your heads, its a damn train, a train thats built like the R32's can last for over 70 years, if you don't like the fact that these are still in service just don't comment, why bother commenting if your gonna put negative feedback, btw the pics IND man posted I seen those cars on the manhattan bridge before they went to the shop

I don't see why people going mad hard about the R32's still being here yes they are old, but its a train that will still get you from point A to B, thats why they are fixing these cars up, yes to you guys its a waste of money but to me its not, 24 million is a lot but to the MTA its nothing, the NTT's are 1 million a car or more, like MC CJ said, if the R44's were still here they would have just as old as the R32's, the R44's had rot issues since the 1990's, The TA knew that they didn't do crap, The R32's had a good body construction compare to what we see now and the younger class cars that got reefed, yeah I'm a R32 fan but at the same time I'm still glad that they are still here due to the fact that this would prove that a buds built subway car can last for more than 40 years, you guys need to get it thorough your heads, its a damn train, a train thats built like the R32's can last for over 70 years, if you don't like the fact that these are still in service just don't comment, why bother commenting if your gonna put negative feedback, btw the pics IND man posted I seen those cars on the manhattan bridge before they went to the shop

You totally missed the point I was trying to make. I despise them for the simple fact that everyone talks about them amd over-glorifes them like its the best thing on this rock we call a planet. I could care less if they're 40, 50, or even 84 years old. The way I see it, its just a car way past its prime and most people can't seem to face the fact that they're borrowed time because of the R44s. If they didn't find the problems with them and yanked them out of service prematurely, we wouldn't even be having this discussion about the 32s now.

That right there is what a foamer does, talk about them continuously on top of many other things. Like I said in an earlier post the R32s got VERY lucky in 2010. Words can't even describe how lucky they are.

Their bodies may be able to last a very long time, but everything else doesn't. You can only rebuild it but so much until the time comes where its more costly to rebuild vs. replacing it completely.

Yeah the R32's and R42's got very lucky, But the R44's always had body issues, especialy the 1st bacth of them, I was never a fan of the R44's because the simple fact they were not built right, and st.louis built those cars like crap, The TA KNEW about the issues with the R44's but they kept quiet until someone decided to talk, I know the whole story behind the R44 retirement and was one of the 1st ones to find out about it, I rode the R44's when they were on their last legs, and they were riding like their trucks were gonna fall off, the only good thing about the R44's is that they never brakedown and they made the (A) line very dependable, now the (A) sucks with R46's.

@ Fresh Pond, The reason why all these foamers foam over the R32's because they used to be redbird foamers, pre 2003 the B division was peaceful, I always like the R32's since day one as well as some other old school railfans , as soon as that last R36WF retierd everybody went straight to the B divison to foam over the IND/BMT SMEE's, a train is a train at the end of the day, but if you get rid of thes cars a subway line will go with it.

To be honest, the R32s are about as old as the R68s.

Almost nothing on them besides the frame itself lasted through GOH. I personally think it was a mistake to consider their age as the day the frames and bodies were initially constructed, when the mechanics of the cars date to 1987-1990. The same holds for the R46s.

Almost nothing on them besides the frame itself lasted through GOH. I personally think it was a mistake to consider their age as the day the frames and bodies were initially constructed, when the mechanics of the cars date to 1987-1990. The same holds for the R46s.

The brakes sound the full 40-something years old though.

The stainless body is the same. Propulsion, braking, doors, interiors and other componets were new or rebuilt to new condition. Think of it as a R62/R68 (1980s technology) in a 1964 body.

@ Fresh Pond, The reason why all these foamers foam over the R32's because they used to be redbird foamers, pre 2003 the B division was peaceful, I always like the R32's since day one as well as some other old school railfans , as soon as that last R36WF retierd everybody went straight to the B divison to foam over the IND/BMT SMEE's, a train is a train at the end of the day, but if you get rid of thes cars a subway line will go with it.

I don't see the logic behind that. I mean, when the 32s finally kick the bucket I'm pretty sure the (C) is still gonna be there

The R10s were a mainstay on the (A) and (C), espically in their final years along with the R38s. They got scrapped/reefed and those lines are doing just fine without them.

All in all, it boils down to the thing I keep saying time after time...

Its just a subway car, its not the end of the world.

Yes, also the R32s are still around but only about 1/3rd of them. They were a big order and they are still around due to a problem train from the beginning, the R44, rotting out. They'll rattle and shake their way into 2017 and some will have to be put to pasture as they'll just wear out. I think the C line will continue to run the oldest equipment, I don't expect to see R179s on the C if the line is to be treated as it has been since the 60s.

Every now and again when I get assigned to work in 207 yard I actually see what a SMS actually looks like. Pretty interesting. All I expect to happen is the (C) eventually gettin the rest of the R46 from Queens once the 32s/42s are finally over the hill. I expect the (J)(R) to get the first from the new set of trains (no matter what published official reports say).

Guest lance25
I don't see the logic behind that. I mean, when the 32s finally kick the bucket I'm pretty sure the (C) is still gonna be there

The R10s were a mainstay on the (A) and (C), espically in their final years along with the R38s. They got scrapped/reefed and those lines are doing just fine without them.

All in all, it boils down to the thing I keep saying time after time...

Its just a subway car, its not the end of the world.

I believe that R32 3838 meant that without a replacement for the R32s around, there won't be enough cars for the current service. When the R32s finally kick the bucket, there should be a replacement for them, whatever the order is called.

Every now and again when I get assigned to work in 207 yard I actually see what a SMS actually looks like. Pretty interesting. All I expect to happen is the (C) eventually gettin the rest of the R46 from Queens once the 32s/42s are finally over the hill. I expect the (J)(R) to get the first from the new set of trains (no matter what published official reports say).

That would be kind of funny in a way - going from the R40M/R46 mixed fleet to full R46, then R46/R160, full R46 again, and finally back to an R32/R46 mix.

So are the interiors actually changing at all?

Nothing dramatic is what I've heard.