CBTC- good or bad?

INDman

The fire was probably set by someone, deliberately.

Actually:

On April 21st, 1964, a small but intense fire engulfed a manually operated train on track 3 and melted it away. Steel beams holding up the station roof actually buckled and 42nd Street was closed for a time. There was fear that the street would collapse into the station. R-17 Cars 6595, 6597, 6601 and R-22 car 7740 were carted away from the station as scrap. The automated train was sitting on track 4 and was significantly damaged. Ironically, the wayside / relay equipment, a short distance away from the train, was not touched at all.

The fire started in electrical equipment in the dispatcher's office at the western end of the platform between tracks 1 and 3. There was no sign of arson or sabotage. The flames reached the laid-up train on track 3 and ingnited the grease and oil under the train, and the seats inside the train. This in turn touched off the "temporary" wooden platform. The fire grew to six alarms. As the fire raged, the last train from Times Square, the 4:57am, arrived on track one. The motorman, Patsy De Sena, discharged the passengers from the train, then operated the train light back to Times Square. Firefighters were unable to fight the fire from the mezzanine level of the station due to the intense heat, so they were forced to drag their hoses from manhole covers on the west side of the station, and through the connecting passageway between the East Side IRT and the shuttle station. It took a number of days to restore shuttle service to normal.

Who cares about age? CBTC is a setup for disaster. You couldnt even test ATO without a fire an the Times Square Shuttle. Besides, to test it out, you'll have to close an entire line after hours. It happened a while ago, i think before the R160s were on the (L) line.

P.S. 64 R160s will be retrofitted with CBTC to run with the R143s.

That's just how the (MTA) went about it on the (L). It'd have begun more smoothly if R42s didn't have to be used on the line, and if they fix the bugs faster.

The ATO won't cut T/O jobs since they want the T/O there in case of an emengency. ATO will start on the (L) Line Feb 24th in Customer service 24/7 on all train operating in CBTC mode.

Good to know, but I had been refering to ATO on the Grand Central (S) which did not have a T/O or C/R on the train.

Good to know, but I had been refering to ATO on the Grand Central (S) which did not have a T/O or C/R on the train.

Since when?! Every time i take the 42nd st (S) there is always someone in the cab, gets out, walks to other end, gets in.....

- A

Oh ok, I guess I read something wrong somewhere. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; GTB5; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 3.0.30618; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Like i said, id personally drive the train than have a computer do it for me, wheres the fun in that?

That is true.

However don't forget that the T/O is still there. The T/O is only serving as a "monitor", just overseeing the system and the train. If the system is FUBAR'd, then the T/O takes over and goes back to manual train operation.

Ok as a former (L) Line T/O I am quilified for CBTC/ATO and I loved ATO just hit a button just to make sure the T/O is still in the cab and didn't leave. The downside was I noticed the train stopped short and enabled the C/R at Bway Juction. I trust they did fix that problem. Maybe I'll pick back the (L) Line I am looking at that option besides staying in QNS or back to the BX.

Archived