LIRR M-7

Eastman346

• 2 weeks later...
I think I saw a couple in the distance by the Jamaica station this past weekend.

I remember when I was on a mixed consist a few months ago, M-1's and M-3's. Talk about door problems, the CR uses the door light en route to Lynbrook.

Whether you believe it or not, there are still some M-1's running on and off. If you're lucky, you can catch 'em on the Babylon line.

All M1s have been retired from revenue service as of 2007.01.08, and have been replaced with M7s. The M3 will get phased out starting in 2015.

• 2 years later...

As I've stated before, my window has a perfect view of the Far Rock branch, and I see M-3s on the regular (although not as prominent as M-7s) during weekdays. I do not believe they are in weekend service at all.

Living here, even if you can't see them, you can hear them. M-3s have a nice low hum, and M-7s have more of a high-pitched sound when they take off. You still see plenty of M-3s on the Atlantic branch along Sunrise Hwy, and I've seen them going to Hempstead and Long Beach, too. They're around... just elusive.

I don't particularly favor the M-7 or M-3, but because M-3s are kinda the rare breed, I love riding in them. I haven't been on one since March. :mad:

Archived