Rollsign Gallery

Oh ok

Just as a logistical thing, can you not quote a giant post when you're replying? You can remove things like the images so it's smaller. It's kind of annoying when the thread constantly has to load giant images because of quoting.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just as a logistical thing, can you not quote a giant post when you're replying? You can remove things like the images so it's smaller. It's kind of annoying when the thread constantly has to load giant images because of quoting.

I learned my lesson...

Oh wait, I did include everything, didn't I? My bad...:(

Edited by 46Dover

I've done a bit of pruning on this thread to remove any quoted signs and/or pictures. Once again, for the sake of space, please do not quote my posts or if you must, please don't quote the signs. My posts alone are long enough given what they contain.

As to how I have my information, it comes from both printed and online materials.

Edited by Lance

I've done a bit of pruning on this thread to remove any quoted signs and/or pictures. Once again, for the sake of space, please do not quote my posts or if you must, please don't quote the signs. My posts alone are long enough given what they contain.

As to how I have my information, it comes from both printed and online materials.

thanks and sorry about that

What browser are you using? I see them fine on both Firefox and Chrome.

Shifting back over to the front, I present the following:

14676448803_663583ef50_o.png

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3842/14676448803_663583ef50_o.png

Dated: c1980

Printed by: American Identification Products

Used on/Intended for: R10-R38 cars

Based on the similar dating, this sign probably was printed around the same time this particular route bullet sign was. As mentioned in that post, this is the first destination sign curtain printed since the late '60s. Also, as mentioned previously, this particular curtain wasn't used as a newer version was printed in '81.

I figured I'd finish this set of sign curtains. Next week, we'll look at something else from the R46s. Maybe.

Edited by Lance

First off, I'm now aware of what's going on here with the images. Flickr's being annoying and doesn't want to cooperate with me. I'm in the process of linking my work onto another image hosting site and would be quite interested if any of you know of a good one that doesn't horrendously down-convert the image quality. With that said, here's this week's sign, unfortunately hosted on Flickr due to a lack of available options. It's actually one I've been wanting to show all of you since I started this thing.

14709760031_9748784d0a_o.png

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3880/14709760031_9748784d0a_o.png

Dated: c1975

Used on/Intended for: R46s

These were the first signs produced for the R46 cars. These are also the first of the R40-46 side signs of the 1970s and '80s to use this particular design, of which was dictated in the 1970 Graphics Standards Manual.

As I said in the beginning of this post, I've been dying to post these particular signs, mainly because I like the design. Of course, there are a few other signs that were printed for the R40/42s and R44s in a similar fashion, which will be posted at a later date. Don't expect them right away. Speaking of the R40s, the next sign will likely come from the slants. Stay tuned.

Edited by Lance

Yeah, all of the side signs on the 40s-46s until the mid to late '80s had line maps that included transfers. I would not have included them in the recreation if they weren't. As for updates to the transfers, they probably weren't modified like the 142s and 143s are today. Rather than adding stickers to cover older transfers, the whole sign was replaced. However, the piss-poor conditions of the subway usually meant the old sign curtains remained on the trains long after they became outdated. When they were replaced, it was pretty much only to add new route options while also removing older ones.

Like I said, here's a sign found on the slants. This is the oldest sign I've recreated thus far.

14771413345_b36029c5cf_o.png

Dated: 1968.02.01, 1969.10.28

Printed by: Translite

Used on/Intended for: R40, R42 cars

This is one of several signs printed for various lines that used the R40s and/or R42s in the late 1960s and early to mid-'70s. All of these signs are the last to use the older-style fonts. All other signs printed after 1970 would use the Standard (Akzidenz-Grotesk) font.

After last week's big sign from the R46s, I decided to post something simple for this time. I'll sprinkle the rest of these R40 signs between other sign posts so I have a bit of a buffer for when I'm busy with other things. Next up is something from the R16-38 group of cars.

Edited by Lance

Good evening folks. Almost forgot about this, and that would be a shame since I'm trying to keep something resembling a schedule with these posts. I wanted to do something related to yesterday's museum excursion of the Train of Many Metals (I love that name BTW), but that wasn't in the cards. Though, today's sign may have been on the 38s at one point or another so there's that. Without further ado...

14832103305_7cb0a7fb64_o.png

Dated: c1981, 1984.10.01

Printed by: Trainsign

Used On/Intended for: R27-38 cars

These signs were the first to use a left-justified format on the 16-38 car classes since the before the opening of Chrystie Street. These were also the last signs to use two-line readings for the interior. Subsequent signs created for the overhauled 32s and 38s would use one-line readings for the interior, presumably for legibility purposes.

The 1981 version of this sign did not originally contain readings for 36 St, Brooklyn or Metropolitan Av. Those were added in later as an insert. In terms of the actual readings, this is one of the last destination signs to refer to 6th Avenue as the "Avenue of the Americas". 

Next week, we'll see the south roll as we close out this period of signs on these cars.

Edited by Lance

Good evening folks. Almost forgot about this, and that would be a shame since I'm trying to keep something resembling a schedule with these posts. I wanted to do something related to yesterday's museum excursion of the Train of Many Metals (I love that name BTW), but that wasn't in the cards. Though, today's sign may have been on the 38s at one point or another so there's that. Without further ado...

Next week, we'll see the south roll as we close out this period of signs on these cars.

Thanks a lot again! +1 once I am able to +1 again!

Good afternoon folks. As promised, here is the south destination roll curtain from the 1981-84 series of signs created for the R16s through the R38s.

14867584466_1b722b688f_o.png

Dated: c1981, 1984.10.01

Printed by: Transign

Used on/Intended for: R27-R38 cars

See previous post for details on this curtain.

Coming up next week: something else not related to the R16-38 group of cars. From which car class, I'm not sure of yet. I do have a question for you. Can any of you find the font (or a similar one) for the original R40 slant signs seen here? I've been wracking my head around this quandary for a couple of weeks now and I'd appreciate the help.

Edited by Lance

If I didn't read the caption under the rollsigns, I could swear these were the bottom rollsigns for the R68 in 1986-87. Maybe I have R68 on the brain now.

Also, IIRC, I think the Sign for Stillwell Avenue was just shortened to Stillwell Av on these rollsigns too.

Now that you've mention it, I've done a bit of digging through both 27 and 68 signs from 84 and 86 respectively. Oddly enough, both sign curtains contained most of the same readings

Readings on the 27 north signs not on the 68's:

125 St-St Nicholas Av

Queensboro Plaza

Reading on the 68 north signs not on the 27's:

21 St-Queensbridge

Readings on the 27 south signs not on the 68's:

Aqueduct Racetrack

Broadway-East New York

Canal St, Manhattan

Reading on the 68 south signs not on the 27's:

Howard Beach-JFK Airport

I'll do a little more digging to see if there are any mistakes in the sign curtain.

Edited by Lance