How can I leave Transit, but collect unemployment?

Thrasymachus

I really cannot stand working at any job in general for much more than a year, especially a transit related one. All I want is to be able to leave, but still be entitled to collect whatever unemployment benefits I am entitled to for the amount of time I have worked so far at NJ Transit so I can transition and move on in life. I contacted the employee assistance program(EAP), but they have no clue about this subject. I legitimately cannot handle the stress of working the same job continuously and I often break dish-ware, the sheetrock of walls, etc., because I feel like NJ Transit controls my life more than I do. I get panic attacks hours before my shift begins and often cannot enjoy my off days, because I know I will have to work again. I know I will never be happy as long as I work for NJ Transit, so I just have to move on and don't feel there is anything wrong with getting the benefits I am entitled to transition, but cannot figure a way to do it. All I know is quitting, which I feel like doing everyday will disqualify me from unemployment benefits.

Does anyone see any type of solution? Thanks.

I really cannot stand working at any job in general for much more than a year, especially a transit related one. All I want is to be able to leave, but still be entitled to collect whatever unemployment benefits I am entitled to for the amount of time I have worked so far at NJ Transit so I can transition and move on in life. I contacted the employee assistance program(EAP), but they have no clue about this subject. I legitimately cannot handle the stress of working the same job continuously and I often break dish-ware, the sheetrock of walls, etc., because I feel like NJ Transit controls my life more than I do. I get panic attacks hours before my shift begins and often cannot enjoy my off days, because I know I will have to work again. I know I will never be happy as long as I work for NJ Transit, so I just have to move on and don't feel there is anything wrong with getting the benefits I am entitled to transition, but cannot figure a way to do it. All I know is quitting, which I feel like doing everyday will disqualify me from unemployment benefits.

Does anyone see any type of solution? Thanks.

Find a better job to replace the last one. Never, ever quit a job without a replacement unless it is physically or mentally damaging, and, if it is, then you could just sue them anyway.

What exactly is so bad about working there anyway? What's your job?

It is kind of hard to find a new job when you are working 40 hours at one anyway, especially for me. I need time to decompress from work, to relax, to recharge, I am not like the other Transit workers fighting to get as much over-time as possible in exchange for 1.5x their hourly rate. 40 hours is already too much for me. Besides I want to move to some intentional community in Staten Island and I won't be able to do that while working at NJ Transit. 

Many people would love working at NJ Transit, the conditions, benefits and pay are better than many other jobs. However, I think the environment that co-workers and management create is worse than other jobs, at least in the mechanical department -- too many busybodies live to work, live to gossip and create trouble and play bs games. Ultimately I just don't think life is about acting like a human barnacle and sitting on a company job till I can retire. That is not life to me, I don't even want to meet people who are just satisfied with working 30 years or whatever at the same company. 

The thing that gets me is , you know what you was signing up for when you got hired. To take a place of somebody who wanted that job badly for to support him and his family is selfish especially in the times we live in as the job market is still critical. Just Wow..

The thing that gets me is , you know what you was signing up for when you got hired. To take a place of somebody who wanted that job badly for to support him and his family is selfish especially in the times we live in as the job market is still critical. Just Wow..

My sentiments exactly...

@LIRR 154:

What you are talking about is clairvoyance, genius, and I don't have that, just like everyone else. And I am pretty sure it doesn't take that to figure you are a faux humanitarian. Further companies don't provide humanitarian services compared to what they take. I didn't know what NJ Transit was like to work for, till I was working there, like I am now.  

@LIRR 154:

What you are talking about is clairvoyance, genius, and I don't have that, just like everyone else. And I am pretty sure it doesn't take that to figure you are a faux humanitarian. Further companies don't provide humanitarian services compared to what they take. I didn't know what NJ Transit was like to work for, till I was working there, like I am now.

That's why they always say research before applying to any job. Weigh the pros and cons to make sure it fits you. You bet I did a lot of that before I got hired in the LIRR. I talked to people who worked there and did my research to find out it was just like my old job at airlines. Any RR, Transit or any that has to do with transportation is more of a lifestyle than a job. Most people know already their social life will be shot working at such places and I can't imagine NJ Transit operates similar to the other Railroads. That's my point. But hey it's your life so you have the right to do what you want. But why come to a forum , shouldn't you ask your union rep or a HR personnel?

Have you had similar experiences with other jobs, or is this the first one that has made you feel so frustrated?

In general, you have to be laid off to get unemployment, but perhaps you can "cash out" some of your benefits to get some money in the short term. As others said, your union rep would know best. 

I worked for nj transit as FT BO so I understand that based on the garage your at management and atmosphere range from great to nightmarish. Im also aware that there are positions within the company that are only transit related bcuz the company is nj transit have you looked at those?

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk

Unemployment is for people who are laid off from their jobs, not people who are manipulating the system to get something for free, to get paid for staying home when they are capable of work, but unwilling.

If you don't like your job, change jobs. Look for something different.

If there is a psychological issue at heart, and you legitimately cannot work, go see a doctor and see if you can go out on disability. But unemployment is not meant for a case like yours. Especially when there are so many people hungry just to have a decent job in the first place.

Unemployment is for people who are laid off from their jobs, not people who are manipulating the system to get something for free, to get paid for staying home when they are capable of work, but unwilling.

Yep, thats what Welfare is for  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, i am a 21 year old transit electrical helper about to finish my one year probation and would like to take a break from transit to finish my degree which might take up to a year and a half. Does anyone know how I go about getting this done?

Archived