Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Harry

NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton advocates for security cameras to be added to all city subway cars

post-5097-0-25735900-1403606364_thumb.jpg
This camera and others in Chicago subway cars could be a taste of things to come in the New York system. The NYPD could have dozens of new eyes in the transit system — without a cop setting foot on a train — if a plan to put surveillance cameras in subway cars gets the green light. Police Commissioner Bill Bratton envisions a future in which officers armed with tablets keep tabs on rolling subway cars remotely. “One of my officers could actually be standing on a platform waiting for that train to come in ... monitoring the cameras on that subway car to see if there’s an issue on that 10-car train that he wants to go and focus on,” Bratton told the Daily News.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-25735900-1403606364_thumb.jpg

Cool idea, but real-time monitoring by cops using tablets would require a lot of technological upgrades, as they mention in the article. Even having the C/R be able to watch cameras would require new screens in the cab. 

They spend all of this money on cameras and most of them don't even work... 

This and you have to remember that some criminals are beyond stupid and will still commit the crime even with cameras rolling.

• Upvote 1

Wow I have been asking myself when or why they haven't bust that move yet installing Security Cameras in the subway cars. Its a brilliant idea to make riders feel a little safer, but I agree with @peacemak3r. We will still have stupid people still commit crime while the camera is present.

Security cameras for watching the customers, or for watching the crews? Because I know a certain NY Senator who has this hard on for watching the CREWS OPERATE with cameras, as if having a camera point at our hands is magically going to stop us from making mistakes. I'm all for camera for the customers though (and a couple of the 160's already have them) as I feel that WOULD be a deterrent from some of the BS that happens on the trains.

There was Redbirds on the 2 line with cameras back when they was in service, they took them out right before they got retired though.

With that being said, I doubt this will stop crime on the subway, people fare beat and people get robbed on Flat bush depot routes on those buses have cameras on them.

PATH has cameras in every car and crime still happens. They are an investigation tool, not a deterrent.  

So who's going to pay for all this? Money doesn't grow on trees.

Probably looking for federal funding if possible... Hence his "advocating"...

They need camera pointing at the emergency exits and turnstiles at some popular stations. Coney Island always has cops, especially when it gets warm, but it's often a target of successful (repeat) farebeaters who know how the cops operate.

So who's going to pay for all this? Money doesn't grow on trees.

Mr. Burns or maybe scorpio

PATH has cameras in every car and crime still happens. They are an investigation tool, not a deterrent.  

They don't have Cameras in their cars.    Half the station Cameras are broken....

They don't have Cameras in their cars.    Half the station Cameras are broken....

Check your facts, all PA-5 cars have cameras. I work there, you don't.

• Upvote 3

Good idea but how would they fund it? They have more important things that need to be done and do not really have funding for those things so we will see how this goes. I think they will try and apply for a Homeland Security grant for this, see how it goes. 

If you need a deterrant like that just install dummy cameras. Less money, no need for monitors nor people watching them plus if they break it won't make a difference.

If you need a deterrant like that just install dummy cameras. Less money, no need for monitors nor people watching them plus if they break it won't make a difference.

Define "break" for a dummy camera.

Define "break" for a dummy camera.

What would normally look like when an actual camera breaks. So basically I meant in a case where normally a real camera would have gotten broken a dummy camera would not be affected.

And when an actual crime happens, then what?

And when an actual crime happens, then what?

Same thing as it does now without the cameras. It's just there as a deterrant just so they happen less often.

Check your facts, all PA-5 cars have cameras. I work there, you don't.

I haven't seen any Cameras...are they embedded in the TV displays?

There is one 10 car set of R160's in or was in testing. The flip seats were removed but it is still running. Signs posted will indicate you are being watched.

R160FlipSeatInterior0210.jpg

• Upvote 1

There is one 10 car set of R160's in or was in testing. The flip seats were removed but it is still running. Signs posted will indicate you are being watched.

di

didn't know they kept the cameras in. Thanks for the info!