Converted bus route could help struggling commuters in Rosedale

GojiMet86

Already mentioned at BusChat and the Bus Random Thoughts Thread, it appears this rumor might actually become reality.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/new-bus-line-trip-rosedale-rockaway-easier-article-1.1866521

Converted bus route could help struggling commuters in Rosedale

MTA officials want to create the Q 114 out of one of the current Q 113 lines to speed up commutes to the subway in Jamaica. But many Rosedale residents said one change can’t solve the problem.
BY LISA L. COLANGELO 

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
 Monday, July 14, 2014, 5:42 PM

bus15q-2-web.jpg

Bates, Susana

Residents of Rosedale said they have to suffer through long and crowded bus rides to get to the nearest subway in Jamaica. The MTA said it plans to create a new bus line to help ease overcrowded but riders said it may not be enough to make the commute easier.

Relief may be coming to some Rosedale and Far Rockaway straphangers who have spent years suffering through long and crowded commutes.
The MTA wants to create a new, limited-stop bus line — the Q114 — to connect subway riders in Jamaica to those far-flung Queens neighborhoods.
"We have the worst commute," said City Councilman Donovan Richards (D-Far Rockaway). "You can almost get to Florida by plane faster than you can get to Manhattan."
Changes could come as early as Aug. 31 if all goes smoothly at a hearing planned for next Monday at the MTA’s headquarters in Manhattan.
Bus riders currently use the Q111 and the Q113, which has a local and a limited-stop line from Guy R. Brewer Blvd. into Far Rockaway.
The new Q114 route would replace the Q113 local with fewer stops between Jamaica and Rosedale to help hasten the trip.

flooding-rosedale-queens.jpg

Delmundo, Anthony

This Daily News file photo shows the Q113 driving through flooded Brookdale Blvd. in Rosedale. Residents in the community have been asking the MTA to improve bus service in the neighborhood. The buses are packed and take a long route to subways in Jamaica. The MTA said it wants to create a new line but some residents think more needs to be done.

"It takes me two hours to get to work and two hours to get home," said Jacqueline Campbell, a Rosedale Civic Association member who commutes from Rosedale to Manhattan. She sent the MTA a petition from "fed-up" commuters in May..
"The buses are not just crowded — there are just not enough buses going to Rosedale," she said.
Campbell said the proposed changes will ease some of the problems but the MTA needs to do more. She had included several suggested route improvements with her petition.
“This doesn’t help people like me who live in the heart of Rosedale by Valley Stream,” she said.
Campbell is hoping to attend the July 21 hearing and lobby for additional service.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't Rosedale have express bus service AND LIRR service?? Why not use one of those? I don't get how people b*tch when they know that where they're moving to is far away from the subway. They have alternatives.... LIRR and the express bus, which they apparently don't want to use... Via the LIRR that trip would be 40 minutes or less to Penn Station... She's commuting two hours each way because she obviously is too broke to afford the premium fare. Not the (MTA) 's fault.

Doesn't Rosedale have express bus service AND LIRR service?? Why not use one of those? I don't get how people b*tch when they know that where they're moving to it's far away from the subway. They have alternatives.... LIRR and the express bus, which they apparently don't want to use...

Not everyone has the money, and the 63 only runs rush hours.

And, I don't know if I'm reading this correctly, but does this mean that Far Rockaway will have two Limiteds from Jamaica, or the Q113 is getting truncated or something?

Not everyone has the money, and the 63 only runs rush hours.

And, I don't know if I'm reading this correctly, but does this mean that Far Rockaway will have two Limiteds from Jamaica, or the Q113 is getting truncated or something?

When you're that far out, you're practically on Long Island... Don't move that far out if you can't afford premium service and then complain about local bus and subway service...

Doesn't Rosedale have express bus service AND LIRR service?? Why not use one of those? I don't get how people b*tch when they know that where they're moving to is far away from the subway. They have alternatives.... LIRR and the express bus, which they apparently don't want to use... Via the LIRR that trip would be 40 minutes or less to Penn Station... She's commuting two hours each way because she obviously is too broke to afford the premium fare. Not the (MTA) 's fault.

Yes but not everyone lives near the LIRR or has 6 dollars to piss away for an express bus. Plus the X63 runs during rush hour. There was a dinky shuttle route that ran from where the Q111 ends to the LIRR. It was discontinued in the mid '90's because of low ridership...

When you're that far out, you're practically on Long Island... Don't move that far out if you can't afford premium service and then complain about local bus and subway service...

Yeah, Queens is part of Long Island, just like Brooklyn. This kind of mentality is what deters most people moving out to the suburbs nowadays. At least westchester tries to make itse;f look more productive, but LI, hell it's the same exact mentality imposed above. This is specifically in Nassau County, where the stereotypical bus rider (as stereotyped by the residents) is poor/broke, an indocumented immigrant, or someone who's has their liscense suspended. Why do you think NICE is so underfunded? 

At least Suffolk County is improving its bus service, and you have several people who actually have a car and opt for the bus at times. On the other hand, for Nassau County residents, should their car brake down, it's the end of the world. Should they take the bus...

Yes but not everyone lives near the LIRR or has 6 dollars to piss away for an express bus. Plus the X63 runs during rush hour. There was a dinky shuttle route that ran from where the Q111 ends to the LIRR. It was discontinued in the mid '90's because of low ridership...

Exactly, no one used it. Just like the Q79. You don't run LIRR shuttles in the city, because you know you're not gonna get ridership. Sure, you can have routes connect to the LIRR, but just for that purpose, you're not gaining any ridership. Rosedale riders prefer the X63 over the LIRR. If it needs extra service, including midday service, is debatable. (Well, if anything, evening service additions would come off from the QM21).

I really don't know how this Q114 would work...

Me neither, the article confused me.

Your damn if you do and your damn if you don't, Dont think the folks in Rosedale can move closer to Manhattan beyond that due to the premium,premium rents. MTA owes the folks of that community just like any other within there jurisdiction to evaluate and improve service in anyway they can. That's what their tasked with doing that's there reason for being.  What people can afford and make has nothing to do with this they work just like everyone else are they really asking for to much?

Your damn if you do and your damn if you don't, Dont think the folks in Rosedale can move closer to Manhattan beyond that due to the premium,premium rents. MTA owes the folks of that community just like any other within there jurisdiction to evaluate and improve service in anyway they can. That's what their tasked with doing that's there reason for being.  What people can afford and make has nothing to do with this they work just like everyone else are they really asking for to much?

In my mind they are. They knew that the area didn't have subway service, yet complain about the long commutes... They have options... Sacrifice and spend more money for a faster commute via the LIRR, or take the express bus OR suck it up. There are numerous communities with this problem and the residents either pay more for a faster ride or deal with the crappy bus to subway options. Hell my community has crap local bus service too, as we don't have a subway, so I knew moving here that wasn't an every day option for me and knew I would have to pay for the express bus and Metro-North. Transportation is the one thing that you MUST research before moving to a place....

Correct, but there are other areas that have cheaper rents with better transportation. They aren't the greatest areas, but it is what it is...

You call it pissing away... It's a question of how much you value your time. Obviously she feels her time is valuable, so she should invest in it. Petitioning the (MTA) for a slightly faster local bus isn't going to save her that much time. How much faster could that local bus be? 10 - 15 minutes faster at the most? If she wants a real time saver she would INVEST in a monthly LIRR pass and shave off a good two hours commuting each day. What people like you fail to realize is that transportation can be a huge stress. I know having commuted via the local bus, ferry and subway when I first started working in the city as a 23 - 24 year old. That commute became old very fast, and the week that I decided to try the express bus was the week that I realized how much easier that change was, and NEVER looked back.

In my mind they are. They knew that the area didn't have subway service, yet complain about the long commutes... They have options... Sacrifice and spend more money for a faster commute via the LIRR, or take the express bus OR suck it up. There are numerous communities with this problem and the residents either pay more for a faster ride or deal with the crappy bus to subway options. Hell my community has crap local bus service too, as we don't have a subway, so I knew moving here that wasn't an every day option for me and knew I would have to pay for the express bus and Metro-North. Transportation is the one thing that you MUST research before moving to a place....

Most of Riverdale is 25 minutes away from the subway or less. It's not your bus service that's crap, it's the reliability of your bus service. I would rather have the amount of local bus service you guys have in riverdale, because most ares tuck with buses with 15 minute headways during the rush hour. Id you think 2 full time and 1 part time route with those headways is crap, you might wanna come to my area for a sense of really crappy local bus service. 

I agree the (1) is not viable, but seriously, it's not like the subway is 40-50 minutes away. Income doesn't have to do with anything. Common misconception, and, like I said, that mentaility is what drives people out of the subrubs/from the suburbs.

Most of Riverdale is 25 minutes away from the subway or less. It's not your bus service that's crap, it's the reliability of your bus service. I would rather have the amount of local bus service you guys have in riverdale, because most ares tuck with buses with 15 minute headways during the rush hour. Id you think 2 full time and 1 part time route with those headways is crap, you might wanna come to my area for a sense of really crappy local bus service. 

I agree the (1) is not viable, but seriously, it's not like the subway is 40-50 minutes away. Income doesn't have to do with anything. Common misconception, and, like I said, that mentaility is what drives people out of the subrubs/from the suburbs.

Frequent service is pointless if it isn't reliable, and having to go local on the (1) is no picnic either especially since that includes any other transfers that you may need to make. Anywho, I think it's crazy to move that far out if you can't afford quicker alternatives and then complain about the bus to subway set up.

Frequent service is pointless if it isn't reliable, and having to go local on the (1) is no picnic either especially since that includes any other transfers that you may need to make. Anywho, I think it's crazy to move that far out if you can't afford quicker alternatives and then complain about the bus to subway set up.

This is New York City, not Beverly Hills.

This is New York City, not Beverly Hills.

If she can't afford an extra $3.50 or whatever the difference each way is then maybe she should move somewhere cheaper. It isn't as if there are millionaires decked out in gold riding the LIRR or the express bus, so spare me with the Beverly Hills crappola.

If she can't afford an extra $3.50 or whatever the difference each way is then maybe she should move somewhere cheaper. It isn't as if there are millionaires decked out in gold riding the LIRR or the express bus, so spare me with the Beverly Hills crappola.

Maybe they're not all taking the subway to the city.

And moving will place you in the negatives. I'd rather carry with the typical commute than move. There's people in different classes living everywhere, especially in the suburbs nowadays. If you think all the outerlying area have people with LIRR incomes and such, I have a bridge to sell to you.

Typical suburbanite attitude, because the local bus is slow and for sleezebags, it must be express bus or LIRR.

Isn't it a bad idea to suggest the LIRR or express service one week before the LIRR strike?

Maybe they're not all taking the subway to the city.

And moving will place you in the negatives. I'd rather carry with the typical commute than move. There's people in different classes living everywhere, especially in the suburbs nowadays. If you think all the outerlying area have people with LIRR incomes and such, I have a bridge to sell to you.

Typical suburbanite attitude, because the local bus is slow and for sleezebags, it must be express bus or LIRR.

Of course there are crap areas in the suburbs. That just proves my point that you should drop the whole Bevery Hills crappola. The problem I have with people like her is they move to areas that are known to have poor transportation and then complain as if she's suffering from some form of shock... If your living expenses are low (i.e. rent or mortgage), you must consider your transportation costs if you truly want a decent commute and have quicker options. Just the way it is. She lives in an isolated part of Queens with no subway service, and that isn't changing.

Isn't it a bad idea to suggest the LIRR or express service one week before the LIRR strike?

Well she's been living there for years apparently, so it isn't as if she just found out about the LIRR or express bus.

Of course there are crap areas in the suburbs. That just proves my point that you should drop the whole Bevery Hills crappola. The problem I have with people like her is they move to areas that are known to have poor transportation and then complain as if she's suffering from some form of shock... If your living expenses are low (i.e. rent or mortgage), you must consider your transportation costs if you truly want a decent commute and have quicker options. Just the way it is. She lives in an isolated part of Queens with no subway service, and that isn't changing.

To the woman's defense, the subway lines in Southeast Queens all end at Jamaica and it's impossible to reach the station without taking the bus from home. The MTA is partially to blame because they were going to extend the subways to neighborhoods east of Jamaica, but couldn't due to some financial problems at the time. Not everyone living in Rosedale is going to want to get up at five in the morning to catch the X63 to Midtown, or cross Sunrise Highway to catch the LIRR when the Q5, Q85, and Q111 are much more frequent and cheaper than the overpriced railroad or the overrated express bus.

Okay understood before moving there you'd know transportation is a issue. But just thinking overall and outwards the next 20-30  years with a estimated Million people easily moving to NewYorkCity with shifts in population from one area to another, people may have to move from places like Brooklyn to the Rosedale's ,Laurelton's and Baysides every square mile of New York City important moving forward economically working-class neighborhoods like Rosedale add to the bottom line with workers needing places to live the city has to stay competitive. Are we saying we can't look for solutions here and other neighborhoods like it? Plus Rosedale is a extreme case compared to Riverdale what half a mile to the Subway? You can walk to 238th or 231th.You may not want to but the option is there at least, Rosedale is almost 5 miles from Jamaica ! Ive walked the mile from 242nd to 256th were talking 5 times that. Plus Riverdale is well represented trust me if they want something there going to petition for it. The people of Rosedale have the same right. 10-15 Minutes guess what it adds up. more options is point here.

To the woman's defense, the subway lines in Southeast Queens all end at Jamaica and it's impossible to reach the station without taking the bus from home. The MTA is partially to blame because they were going to extend the subways to neighborhoods east of Jamaica, but couldn't due to some financial problems at the time. Not everyone living in Rosedale is going to want to get up at five in the morning to catch the X63 to Midtown, or cross Sunrise Highway to catch the LIRR when the Q5, Q85, ans Q111 are much more frequent and cheaper than the overpriced railroad or the overrated express bus.

5 in the morning for what? The LIRR is 40 minutes tops, and the express bus would eliminate numerous transfers.

5 in the morning for what? The LIRR is 40 minutes tops, and the express bus would eliminate numerous transfers.

The express bus and LIRR wouldn't do much because most people living in Rosedale are traveling to other parts of Queens, usually neighborhoods that can't be reached with LIRR service.

The express bus and LIRR wouldn't do much because most people living in Rosedale are traveling to other parts of Queens, usually neighborhoods that can't be reached with LIRR service.

Well then guess what? They need a friggin' car. I mean seriously they live in an isolated area and therefore can't expect to have great transportation. I live in a very isolated area and commuting is really only convenient to Manhattan. If I need to go to the Bronx by public transportation, I have to go into Manhattan, then into the Bronx. Just the way it is...

The LIRR service is shit, not to mention that you would still need to use the subway.

The X63 service is more costly than the Q111.

Well then guess what? They need a friggin' car. I mean seriously they live in an isolated area and therefore can't expect to have great transportation. I live in a very isolated area and commuting is really only convenient to Manhattan. If I need to go to the Bronx by public transportation, I have to go into Manhattan, then into the Bronx. Just the way it is...

That doesn't stop the efforts to have better transportation, even if it's by a little bit. Why do you think Rosedale has local bus service 24/7 and 7-9 minute headways during the rush hour. Do you have something against the local bus to subway connection (well, it is Jamaica , so no wonder he wouldn't mention the local bus to the subway). We don't mind that you use the express bus, but to "defame" the local bus (especially as to get a car, which is the last thing we should be encouraging in the city), that's just your own personal bias.

Archived