Converted bus route could help struggling commuters in Rosedale

GojiMet86

How do they plan on replacing a local form of a route that already has a LTD counterpart, with another LTD service.....

That's like getting rid of the B41 local for a "B104" that does the B103 route b/w downtown & the junction, but runs down to kings plaza instead..... That would obviously screw B41 riders that utilize non-LTD (intermediate) stops.....

What exactly would this 114 mean for Inwood & Lawrence riders of the current 113 local? The same amount of stops or what.......

The better question is, who's service are they gonna cut into, to create this route....... 113 LTD riders' service? 111 riders service?

I believe that the MTA is going to cut 113 local service to create the Q114 since the article mentions that the new route will make fewer stops between Rosedale and Jamaica. I just find the announcement of the Q114 to be bizarre since the hearing is supposed to happen during the LIRR strike.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that the MTA is going to cut 113 local service to create the Q114 since the article mentions that the new route will make fewer stops between Rosedale and Jamaica. I just find the announcement of the Q114 to be bizarre since the hearing is supposed to happen during the LIRR strike.

Of course. Look at what they did to the Woodhaven Blvd Service. Before you had the 21 and the 53, and then the 52 (which was the 21 Limited back then; designation only last 6 months, lol) evolved, truncating the 21 to Howard Beach. The 113, if I read correctly, would have completely limited service on 147 and all points north. In laymen's terms, there would be no FR-Jamaica local anymore, it would all be LIMITED (with the exception of late nights, to maintain service every 30 minutes on 147 and Guy R. Brewer).

Is this Q-114 a local or a limited?

It's a limited.

How do they plan on replacing a local form of a route that already has a LTD counterpart, with another LTD service.....

That's like getting rid of the B41 local for a "B104" that does the B103 route b/w downtown & the junction, but runs down to kings plaza instead..... That would obviously screw B41 riders that utilize non-LTD (intermediate) stops.....

What exactly would this 114 mean for Inwood & Lawrence riders of the current 113 local? The same amount of stops or what.......

The better question is, who's service are they gonna cut into, to create this route....... 113 LTD riders' service? 111 riders service?

If w/e Rosedale riders think they're getting some sort of Q5S express, super LTD, direct route, however you wanna dub it, to Jamaica, they can forget it.....

They're might not gonna cut into anyone's service, because they'll probably make the current Q113 Local into a limited. The current Q113 Local isn't that frequent anyways, so they might make them both every 10 minutes rush hours, and 20 minutes other times, like it is right now. They might do it until like about 8 PM, since that's when the 111's headways go to every 20 minutes, and they might have 113 local during the evening.

However, for riders at the local stop (what remains) on 147th, they'll be less service (only the 111, and the 114 during evenings).

So, this is how this is sounding to me:

Q111- Local All times

Q113- Limited (6 AM- 8 PM Weekdays, 6 AM-5 PM Weekends)

Q114- Limited during the day, local during evenings and late nights.

Of course. Look at what they did to the Woodhaven Blvd Service. Before you had the 21 and the 53, and then the 52 (which was the 21 Limited back then; designation only last 6 months, lol) evolved, truncating the 21 to Howard Beach. The 113, if I read correctly, would have completely limited service on 147 and all points north. In laymen's terms, there would be no FR-Jamaica local anymore, it would all be LIMITED (with the exception of late nights, to maintain service every 30 minutes on 147 and Guy R. Brewer).

It's a limited.

But the 113 limited doesn't make stops on 147th Avenue anymore. The MTA changed the routing to have it use Rockaway and Guy Brewer Blvd instead of turning off at Brookville and going through the swamp to reach 147th. Now it's just the 111 and 113 local along 147th.

But the 113 limited doesn't make stops on 147th Avenue anymore. The MTA changed the routing to have it use Rockaway and Guy Brewer Blvd instead of turning off at Brookville and going through the swamp to reach 147th. Now it's just the 111 and 113 local along 147th.

Exactly, the 113 local will turn into a limited with the 114 designation. At least that's what I suspect.

It's not that weird; NYCT and LIRR don't really work together on a normal basis.

LTD service on the 113 (shown on map with stops indicated by little white circles) only starts north of Peninsula Blvd, and Brookville Blvd is mostly park (just like Rockaway Blvd), so all they would realy be doing is likely reducing some stops on 147th Av. and making the current LTD stops on Brewer. But these areas already have the 111.

So if the local stops along that stretch will need the service being lost, perhaps 111 service might be increased to make up for it? (Or maybe it will make all the stops along 147th, giving those riders a LTD along Brewer for the first time).

If w/e Rosedale riders think they're getting some sort of Q5S express, super LTD, direct route, however you wanna dub it, to Jamaica, they can forget it.....

I don't think the 114 would run that far out. I think it's strictly between Jamaica and Rosedale. But as always, the article is missing quite a bit of information.

At one point, they wanted to neuter the 113 similar to how they did with the Q10 with very, very few stops in between the line(hell, Q10 riders are still bitching about the lack of LTD stops at Linden Blvd & 109th Avenue because of the Q41 connection). Folks flipped a colossal shit at the idea complaining that most residents would have to suffice with the Q111, which is already bad enough.

I agree with everyone who says MTA simply turning Q113 locals into Q114 LTD giving 147th St ..LTD service and Brewer blvd additional LTD...only logic I can see...

It pretty much the same Q52/53 dynamic. With Q111 being the lone Local.

Now does the Q114 continue to Rosedale with the Q111 or does it run to Far Rock along the current Q113 local routing. Is the only missing piece of the puzzle for me.

I don't think the 114 would run that far out. I think it's strictly between Jamaica and Rosedale. But as always, the article is missing quite a bit of information.

At one point, they wanted to neuter the 113 similar to how they did with the Q10 with very, very few stops in between the line(hell, Q10 riders are still bitching about the lack of LTD stops at Linden Blvd & 109th Avenue because of the Q41 connection). Folks flipped a colossal shit at the idea complaining that most residents would have to suffice with the Q111, which is already bad enough.

I think I'm getting the gist of what this 114's gonna do now....

I don't think it's gonna run strictly b/w Jamaica & Rosedale, because the current 113 barely serves Rosedale for one.... and two, there would have been some mention of this 114 being a LTD to the 111 (which would happen if they really wanted to help Rosedale patrons; current LIRR Rosedale users), not so much focusing on the 113....... I think these things (114's) are gonna run out to far rockaway (like the 113) - except this 114 will make even less stops that the 113 between Jamaica & Rosedale....

In other words, you see how the 113 LTD goes straight from far rockaway.... to 5 towns.... to brewer/147th (via rockaway blvd) & make regular LTD stops along brewer towards Jamaica? I think this 114 will do the 113 local between far rockaway & rosedale (via brookville blvd), then north of rosedale, make less LTD stops along brewer than what the current 113 LTD does.....

^^ Saying this differently, the 113 LTD will have a bigger non-stop portion b/w far rockaway & brewer blvd, and the 114 LTD will have a bigger non-stop portion b/w brewer (well, brewer/147th) & Jamaica..... The real question is, which (if any) LTD stops that the current 113 LTD makes along brewer will & won't the 114 make.....

I think this route is gonna end up benefiting Nassau patrons (that take the 113 local) more than it'll benefit rosedale patrons (because likely, they would already be on 113 LTD's that bypasses the bevy of turns the 113 locals make to serve inwood, lawrence, & cedarhurst..... Bear in mind, the far rockaway line (LIRR) & what importance it has in this whole Q114 bit.... Rosedale is being used as nothing more than a talking point.....

This Q114 will be all for naught if there is any significant increase of traffic along Guy R. Brewer.....

I still don't get it...I don't even think the 114 should exist. Comparing Brewer to Woodhaven is like apples to oranges

LOL... Like I said this chick's answer is to earn more money and take the damn LIRR or the X63... All of this yacking and it's clear that this local bus line wouldn't do jack squat to speed up their commutes.

I still don't get it...I don't even think the 114 should exist. Comparing Brewer to Woodhaven is like apples to oranges

It really doesn't..... Think of it like the (J) / (Z)... Its really still ONE LINE with 2 Branches, but the MTA is making both Branches of the Q113 ALL LTD.... And because you have 2 branches of LTD they need differentiate them some how... This wasn't a problem when you had a Local and an LTD that was how you were able to tell the branches apart. If both Branches are LTD it's now confusing, so in comes Q114 to replace the 147th Branch of Q113... 

I seriously don't think MTA is gonna do what B35 suggests there would too much b*tiching on Brewer... I think the Q113/114 will make the same LTD stops between 147 and Jamaica they will act just like the Q52/53 does on Cross Bay/Woodhaven. and you can use them interchangeably.  I'm starting to think Q114 will infact run to Far Rock on the Q113 Local's routing, and will remain local South of 147 and Brookville. 

Or either Q111's will replace the Q113 local to Far Rock and Q114 LTD will replace the Q111 to Rosedale running local East of Brookville. . 

I seriously don't think MTA is gonna do what B35 suggests there would too much b*tiching on Brewer...

I'm not suggesting anything that this Q114 should do.... I don't think this route should even exist.

I don't even think the 114 should exist.

Yeah, same here....

I'm not buying this sudden concern for Rosedale patrons, either.....

It really doesn't..... Think of it like the (J) / (Z)... Its really still ONE LINE with 2 Branches, but the MTA is making both Branches of the Q113 ALL LTD.... And because you have 2 branches of LTD they need differentiate them some how... This wasn't a problem when you had a Local and an LTD that was how you were able to tell the branches apart. If both Branches are LTD it's now confusing, so in comes Q114 to replace the 147th Branch of Q113... 

I seriously don't think MTA is gonna do what B35 suggests there would too much b*tiching on Brewer... I think the Q113/114 will make the same LTD stops between 147 and Jamaica they will act just like the Q52/53 does on Cross Bay/Woodhaven. and you can use them interchangeably.  I'm starting to think Q114 will infact run to Far Rock on the Q113 Local's routing, and will remain local South of 147 and Brookville. 

Or either Q111's will replace the Q113 local to Far Rock and Q114 LTD will replace the Q111 to Rosedale running local East of Brookville. . 

I'm not suggesting anything that this Q114 should do.... I don't think this route should even exist.

Yeah, same here....

I'm not buying this sudden concern for Rosedale patrons, either.....

And these are my home routes. I'm not saying things should go back to the PBL days, but there are better ways to improve Brewer service. This Q114 is overkill. I would just threw artics on these lines and call it day. But the contract doesn't really allow that...in a way

I find this Q114 thing unbelievable and backwards. Getting rid of the local Q113 will hurt riders because the Q113 LTD is a full route limited just like the Q10 LTD where there is not a specific area where the LTD runs like routes like the Q36, Q46 and Q65 have for example. Something is definitely missing from this article. The Q113 in Nassau and Far Rockaway needs to be covered and the LTD skips most of the areas and stops in Nassau and Far Rockaway. However one thing I do think that could happen is that the Q113 LTD gets placed along 147 Ave and via Brookville Blvd to serve riders over there and then continue LTD to Far Rockaway via its non stop segment. The Q114 may run to Rosedale and then run non stop to Rockaway Turnpike via the Q111 rush hour only segment to cedarhurst which will be eliminated from the Q111. Afterwards it will run local via the Q113's current route to Far Rockaway. In my opinion the Q114 idea should be scrapped because the Q111 and Q113 have been running fine for many years with no problems besides the reliable from JBL at the time. I think this is made up because someone said before that the Q114 or Q113 will be converted to SBS and this article does not mention anything about SBS.

well whether we like it or not, its coming....

I actually think it would be best if they move the Q111 to cover the current Q113 local routing to Far Rock....  That way Q111 is the sole local and nothing is lost by removing the Q113 Local..... Send the Q114 to Rosedale, making Local stops east of Brookville.... 

I could see this working nicely actually.

The same people thought the Q52/53 was going to be a disaster, yet it was just the opposite, people learn to love dynamic on Cross Bay/Woodhaven. So much so the Q21 is totally useless now, same could happen to the Q111, while not useless by any means, I could however see it getting cut back to beef up more Q113/114 in the corridor. 

Why not do something about the Q5 LTD? It's definitely not optimized to full use if it's only terminating at Rosedale LIRR.

I think the Q5 limited is fine. No limiteds should go to Green Acres...

No, but it could possibly continue down the X63's routing to the Q111's terminal, or X63's terminal.

And these are my home routes. I'm not saying things should go back to the PBL days, but there are better ways to improve Brewer service. This Q114 is overkill. I would just threw artics on these lines and call it day. But the contract doesn't really allow that...in a way

I mean, how many times is the Q113 gonna be tinkered with.....

I think the Q5 limited is fine. No limiteds should go to Green Acres...

I don't have a dog in the fight (so to speak) either way, but what are your reason(s) for leaving the Q5 LTD as is?

I think this is made up because someone said before that the Q114 or Q113 will be converted to SBS and this article does not mention anything about SBS.

You think what is made up.... This whole mentioning of an upcoming Q114 route, or SBS along Brewer?

Archived