Converted bus route could help struggling commuters in Rosedale

GojiMet86

Not really surprising. The Q53 is a limited already. The (MTA) was going to get their hands on it sooner or later..

It's also on a road that is on one of the widest in the city (save for a few chokepoints). If MTA couldn't pull off high-quality BRT here, they wouldn't be able to do it anywhere.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, how many times is the Q113 gonna be tinkered with.....

I don't have a dog in the fight (so to speak) either way, but what are your reason(s) for leaving the Q5 LTD as is?

You think what is made up.... This whole mentioning of an upcoming Q114 route, or SBS along Brewer?

IMO, to me the Rockaway Blvd portion of the route is faster than the Nassau Expressway portion. The only thing you can suggest is put artics on the route. As for the Q5, sending it down Francis Lewis to the 111 terminal is debatable...question is does that part of Rosedale need bus service?

IMO, to me the Rockaway Blvd portion of the route is faster than the Nassau Expressway portion. The only thing you can suggest is put artics on the route. As for the Q5, sending it down Francis Lewis to the 111 terminal is debatable...question is does that part of Rosedale need bus service?

I think the 111 is sufficient in that part of Rosedale, IMO.

It's also on a road that is on one of the widest in the city (save for a few chokepoints). If MTA couldn't pull off high-quality BRT here, they wouldn't be able to do it anywhere.

You mean overkill right? If they have their way it won't even be as fast as driving it would be outright faster. Q53 limited already leaves motorists in the dust any faster slap on a rocket to the bus and call it +High speed bus service+ let's get this straight this is NOT +SBS select bus service+ this is HSBS OR HIGH SPEED bus service!!! With emphasis on SPEED They better outfit those buses with seat belts ohh boy.

Yeah but there is the issue of does Francis Lewis south of the LIRR warrant any kind of local service

If routed properly it can work if not it will fail.

You mean overkill right? If they have their way it won't even be as fast as driving it would be outright faster. Q53 limited already leaves motorists in the dust any faster slap on a rocket to the bus and call it +High speed bus service+ let's get this straight this is NOT +SBS select bus service+ this is HSBS OR HIGH SPEED bus service!!! With emphasis on SPEED They better outfit those buses with seat belts ohh boy.

The Q53 is anything but fast, especially during weekdays (I'll say that after 157, yeah it's fast, but north, not all the time).

Driving is always going to be faster. The point of using transit is that overall it's less of a pain in the ass (you can text or talk on the phone, you can read, you don't have to find a parking space, etc.) You really need to get over your speed fetish.

....As for the Q5, sending it down Francis Lewis to the 111 terminal is debatable...question is does that part of Rosedale need bus service?

Nah, I was asking why don't you think the Q5 LTD should run past LIRR Rosedale.....

(In other words, why don't you think the LTD's should run out to Green Acres like the locals do)

I wasn't asking if the Q5 should run within Rosedale proper.....

I think the 111 is sufficient in that part of Rosedale, IMO.

Agreed... The 111 does the job.

Yeah but there is the issue of does Francis Lewis south of the LIRR warrant any kind of local service

If they're content walking to 147th for the 111, I would say no....

Having rode the x63 to Rosedale the number of times I have, I don't get the sense that a local route is necessary along Franny Lou south of the conduits.....

That isn't the issue; There isn't many more options other than running Q5's down brookville, to francis lewis, to end w/ the Q111....

South of 147th & West of francis lewis is almost (if not) 100% residential... i.e., express bus territory - which isn't an option for routing the locals down there....

The other perhaps viable/realistic option of having buses go hook creek, to north conduit, to francis lewis would be a backtrack......

The question is.... Would running Q5's down brookville to francis lewis to serve Rosedale, warranted......

The Q53 is anything but fast, especially during weekdays (I'll say that after 157, yeah it's fast, but north, not all the time).

Who was it that kept bitching that the Q53 isn't the same anymore (referring to when it ran nonstop from 63dr/QB to the wildlife refuge)?

Anyway, the Q53 for the distance it travels, gets to the Rockaways rather quickly.... But in terms of the way QJT refers to fast (meaning, SPEED), the Q53 is not that, at all....

I believe that Francis Lewis south of the LIRR does warrant some kind of local service, but I'm not so sure if the Q5 is the right route to send there. I think that folks living south of the rail station prefer to take the Q85 at Francis Lewis and Sunrise over the Q5. The 5 and 111 are more or less alternative routes to Jamaica around that area.

Nah, I was asking why don't you think the Q5 LTD should run past LIRR Rosedale.....

(In other words, why don't you think the LTD's should run out to Green Acres like the locals do)

I wasn't asking if the Q5 should run within Rosedale proper.....

Agreed... The 111 does the job.

If they're content walking to 147th for the 111, I would say no....

Having rode the x63 to Rosedale the number of times I have, I don't get the sense that a local route is necessary along Franny Lou south of the conduits.....

That isn't the issue; There isn't many more options other than running Q5's down brookville, to francis lewis, to end w/ the Q111....

South of 147th & West of francis lewis is almost (if not) 100% residential... i.e., express bus territory - which isn't an option for routing the locals down there....

The other perhaps viable/realistic option of having buses go hook creek, to north conduit, to francis lewis would be a backtrack......

The question is.... Would running Q5's down brookville to francis lewis to serve Rosedale, warranted......

Who was it that kept bitching that the Q53 isn't the same anymore (referring to when it ran nonstop from 63dr/QB to the wildlife refuge)?

Anyway, the Q53 for the distance it travels, gets to the Rockaways rather quickly.... But in terms of the way QJT refers to fast (meaning, SPEED), the Q53 is not that, at all....

Me personally because I don't think there's any real demand for a Q5 or 85 for that matter to go limited to Green Acres.

Me personally because I don't think there's any real demand for a Q5 or 85 for that matter to go limited to Green Acres.

Alright cool.... One more question...

Would you say more people seek to take the bus to Green Acres, or the dollar vans to green acres ?

Alright cool.... One more question...

Would you say more people seek to take the bus to Green Acres, or the dollar vans to green acres ?

Probably the dollar vans if one is coming from Merrick. Dollar vans don't go down the Q85 route. I can't really say because I don't go to Green Acres like that anymore

Probably the dollar vans if one is coming from Merrick. Dollar vans don't go down the Q85 route. I can't really say because I don't go to Green Acres like that anymore

Are those vans really still $1.00?? If so that's amazing when you think about it. The fare is now $2.50 one way.  A person could make a round trip and still spend less than riding with the (MTA) , though they may have a higher chance of risking their lives in the process, but that's another story. lol

Are those vans really still $1.00?? If so that's amazing when you think about it. The fare is now $2.50 one way. A person could make a round trip and still spend less than riding with the (MTA) , though they may have a higher chance of risking their lives in the process, but that's another story. lol

No. That was way back in the day. They're $1.50 now...

lol... Nothing stays the same forever... Still a good deal though for those who don't mind risking their lives considering how much gas goes up and down...

Last time I checked, Staten Island doesn't have dollar vans. Or Bay Ridge, Sheepshead Bay and Riverdale

Just like I didn't get your point when you mentioned risking your life when riding a dollar van...

I mentioned it because when I lived in Midwood in Brooklyn, on occasion, if I went to Kings Plaza, they had those dollar vans around, and it was said that you could ride them if you didn't mind risking your life in the process because many of the drivers drive like maniacs and don't have a license to be operating the way that they do.  I have to wonder how popular those dollar vans are in Rosedale and if their presence is significant enough to take away from ridership on the local bus, so that if a re-routed, faster route was created, it may not help in terms of increasing ridership

I mentioned it because when I lived in Midwood in Brooklyn, on occasion, if I went to Kings Plaza, they had those dollar vans around, and it was said that you could ride them if you didn't mind risking your life in the process because many of the drivers drive like maniacs and don't have a license to be operating the way that they do.  I have to wonder how popular those dollar vans are in Rosedale and if their presence is significant enough to take away from ridership on the local bus, so that if a re-routed, faster route was created, it may not help in terms of increasing ridership

The dollar vans are well used in Rosedale, and their presence was siginifcant enough to send the Q5 and Q85 from Rosedale to Green Acres Mall.

The dollar vans are well used in Rosedale, and their presence was siginifcant enough to send the Q5 and Q85 from Rosedale to Green Acres Mall.

Yeah but did sending those buses there increase ridership? I mean if the dollar vans are that well used, then obviously they're in direct competition with the local buses, and as I said before, you can get a round trip on the dollar van for almost the same price as one trip on the local bus.

Yeah but did sending those buses there increase ridership? I mean if the dollar vans are that well used, then obviously they're in direct competition with the local buses, and as I said before, you can get a round trip on the dollar van for almost the same price as one trip on the local bus.

Sending the Q5 to Green Acres did boost it's ridership since there's more people taking the bus to the mall than the LIRR stop. I don't think that the Q85's ridership changed that much since it doesn't have any competition with the dollar vans in Rosedale. The dollar vans run parallel to the Q5 along Merrick from Hook Creek to the Jamaica Center.

No. That was way back in the day. They're $1.50 now...

A dollar 50...That's it??

All the dollar cab/van services here in Brooklyn are 2 bucks....

You have some flatbush vans that still try to pull that 3 dollar shit on you, if you ride from downtown to kings plaza (or vice versa)...... It doesn't seem to work, because the few ppl. that do that lie where they boarded anyway....

....Still a good deal though for those who don't mind risking their lives considering how much gas goes up and down...

...and the correlation between these two points is what, exactly?

The dollar vans have always been in direct competition with local buses, regardless if they're "that well used" or not....

Would revamping the Q85 service to Rosedale help riders?

Add a new LTD stop at Farmers/Bedell because thats currently where all the non-GA locals start/end but in an ideal scenario add a 2nd LTD stop at Springfield/141 Av (with the locals turning there or at the LIRR station). If the LTDs have to make all stops E of Baisley at least extend some of the PM LTDs that end at Farmers to Rosedale-243 because 15-30 min rush hour headways is insane. As for service south of 147 Av, if the residents want it, it could be sent down Huxley to the X63 terminal.

...and the correlation between these two points is what, exactly?

The dollar vans have always been in direct competition with local buses, regardless if they're "that well used" or not....

1. Two separate points, but in my mind it just amazes me how desperate people are to save a buck or two.  There is no way in hell I'd ride with some unlicensed guy (usually the case with those dollar vans from what I recall hearing) driving like a maniac.  If you're injured, who are you going to sue? At least with the (MTA) you can be compensated if you're injured and it's their fault.

2.  As for the vans, yes, this I know, but what I was wondering was why the bus was re-routed in the first place...

Archived